Sign in with
Your question

Steam Connection Sucks?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2013 1:14:30 AM

I have 5 bars on my internet at almost all times with my new PC I built. Google Chrome loads everything lightning fast, I get decent download speeds, etc. I am using my PC two floors up from my router, however my Xbox 360, Wii U, Macbook Pro, etc. never have problems with my internet.

However my Steam connection, specifically on this specific computer, is awful. Online multiplayer on any game is unplayable, and disconnect from Steam entirely at random moments, etc. Uplay works and connects fine and I can play online fine with that so I know it is not my internet, but is it some kind of compatibility issue with my PCIe Wifi Card or is Steam's connection just absolutely awful. Is there any way I can fix this?

My wifi card is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It should also be noted that when downloading games on Steam it goes at about 1mbps but I think that is normal. Again, problem is Steam is randomly disconnecting constantly and online multiplayer for any game is unplayable but everything else involving internet on my PC works perfectly.

More about : steam connection sucks

January 31, 2013 4:37:33 AM

Hi dude,
I've got the same problem here. My computer's Internet connection is fast with every program but Steam (and Origin sometimes, but MP gameplay is ok).

Steam is slow here too (italy). Pages take ages to load and when the program is being updated it freezes sometimes. I think that's because of server-side slow connection. I have Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.68GHz (stock cooler) and 2x SSDs (one for the OS and the other for games), so it can't be slow here.
So, yeah, I don't think it's your wireless pci card to blame.

I don't know much about the online gameplay, cause I haven't played any games on steam yet. I've been waiting for Aliens: Colonial Marines. Hope it'll be great. And I'll let you know ;) 
m
l
January 31, 2013 2:53:46 PM

Hey, I have a lenovo h250s and I have problems with steam. My laptop + Iphone and stuff works fine, can connect to the internet well, but when i play ace of spades ( a multiplayer game) on steam, I always disconnect (usually once per game). It happens mostly when i run though :p . Gl dudes :) 
m
l
!