DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

Thank you for all your replies to my postings.

Would you be so kind as to answer me a couple more questions on the subject of US Robotics modems?

1. Regarding the INTERNAL PCI US Robotics V.92 56K dial-up modems -- I've seen them with the additional 3COM "label" or with only the US Robotics "label".

(I'm not sure what word other than "label" to use.)

Are there any other companies, like 3COM, that put their name on these Internal PCI US Robotics modems?

Are there any differences (including in quality) between these two (or more) Internal PCI US Robotics modems? If so, what?

2. Regarding the EXTERNAL US Robotics V. 92 56K dial-up modems -- I've seen them only with the US Robotics "label".

Are there any companies that put their name on these External US Robotics modems?

If so, are there any differences (including in quality) between these External US Robotics modems? If so, what?

With many thanks!
DuckTape

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
A few years back 3Com gobbled up UsRobotics and a couple of other companies. It's all the same stuff. There was a cutoff date and product lines created after that date got the 3com lable, ones before are still marketed as USR.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have purchase a few different US Robotics modem for my company and friends. I did not notice any difference. I think they makes the best modem. I have been using their modem for a long time since their 14,400 Sportster.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm using some 8-bit ISA modem from them, and my default XP driver treats it as a 56k V.90 modem, even though it was made way back in the mid 90's. It connects at 48k on my phone line.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Same Company
2.) I've seen arguments for external, but I've never found a difference myself. I prefer internal for convenience.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>