Convert midi to an audio file

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,
Is there a way to convert a midi file to an audio file that I can play
on CD player which does not support mp3 files?
Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about convert midi audio file
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    There are many ways, but you have to be a little bit more specific...
    What kind of software do you have installed and what kind of hardware
    are you using for sound generation?
    If everything's done on your pc, and you don't have a dedicated music
    software, then change the settings in your audio setup window so that
    the midi synthesizer is 'checked' for recording (instead of the 'mic'
    or 'line in'). Then use a wave editor (or the windows sound recorder)
    and record while media player is playing your midi file! After that,
    burn the audio file on a cd.

    Good luck,

    Evangelos


    %
    Evangelos Himonides
    IoE, University of London
    tel: +44 2076126599
    fax: +44 2076126741
    "Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

    Oliver Wendell Holmes


    %
  2. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply. Can you recommend software for that?
    I transferred a midi file from my Yamaha keyboard and want to burn a
    CD on my computer with an audio file.
    How do I change settings for my audio setup window?
    Thanks a lot.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Gotcha! So you have an external device (your Yamaha keyboard)!
    You have to understand that MIDI is NOT SOUND. A MIDI file contains
    information that when 'read' by a synthesizer (in your case, your
    Yamaha keyboard) 'tells' that synthesizer 'what' to play and 'how' to
    play it.
    If you play the MIDI file that you saved from your keyboard on your
    computer (in other words, load the diskette, and open the file with
    windows media player) then you are not going to hear what you did when
    your Yamaha keyboard was playing the sequence. WHY? Because a different
    synthesizer (the one on your soundcard) will be playing the file. If
    you don't mind the change of 'quality' then follow my previous (and of
    course all of the other) advice.
    If you want to record what your Yamaha synth is playing, then you have
    to connect the sound output of the keyboard to the line-in of your
    soundcard and record it with a wave-editor. Windows comes with a native
    one (sound recorder) and frequently, if you have a separate soundcard
    that is not integrated on the mother-board (maybe a sound blaster?)
    then you might have a 'sound-recording' software as well. Sometimes,
    even CD burning applications come bundled with cut-down versions of
    wave-editors (like Nero) that are more than enough for what you want to
    do.

    Regards,

    Evangelos

    Evangelos


    %
    Evangelos Himonides
    IoE, University of London
    tel: +44 2076126599
    fax: +44 2076126741
    "Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."


    Oliver Wendell Holmes


    %
  4. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    <polinaskulski@aol.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >Is there a way to convert a midi file to an audio file that I can play
    >on CD player which does not support mp3 files?

    Yes. Midi is sort of like a score. You put the midi file into a synth
    (or into a real musician) and music is played. You record that music on
    a CD.
    --scott

    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  5. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    <polinaskulski@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:1109077283.996341.297760@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com

    > Is there a way to convert a midi file to an audio file that I can play
    > on CD player which does not support mp3 files?

    If there is some way of recording the output of the playback side of your
    PCs sound card with the record side of your sound card, either with
    software controls or an actual jumper from the output a line input, then you
    just play your MIDI file while recording it as a standard .wav file.

    Built-in faculties for recording the output of the playback side of your
    sound card have various names like "what you hear" or "stereo mix" in your
    sound card's record mixer.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Arny Krueger wrote:
    > <polinaskulski@aol.com> wrote in message
    > news:1109077283.996341.297760@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
    >
    >
    >>Is there a way to convert a midi file to an audio file that I can play
    >>on CD player which does not support mp3 files?
    >
    >
    > If there is some way of recording the output of the playback side of your
    > PCs sound card with the record side of your sound card, either with
    > software controls or an actual jumper from the output a line input, then you
    > just play your MIDI file while recording it as a standard .wav file.
    >
    > Built-in faculties for recording the output of the playback side of your
    > sound card have various names like "what you hear" or "stereo mix" in your
    > sound card's record mixer.


    QuickTime Pro will save a MIDI file as audio, using its synthesizer.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    In article <1109078700.078190.170380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> polinaskulski@aol.com writes:

    > Thank you for your reply. Can you recommend software for that?
    > I transferred a midi file from my Yamaha keyboard and want to burn a
    > CD on my computer with an audio file.

    The simplest way to do this is to connect the analog outputs of your
    keyboard to the audio line level inputs on your computer's sound card,
    start up a WAV file recording program (Audacity is good and free if
    you don't have something else already) then start your MIDI file
    playing.

    This will "play" the keyboard, and what comes out of the keyboard will
    be recorded as a WAV file which you can then tranfer to an audio CD.
    You probalby have the software to do that (the transfer to the CD)
    with a program that came with your CD-R drive.

    --
    I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
    However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
    lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
    you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
    and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
  8. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Hi,
    I've got an Adobe audition, put my midi file to the first track and
    mapped it but don't know how to record it, when I try to export it
    into a .wav file it does not show the track with the midi file in it.

    S O'Neill wrote:
    > Arny Krueger wrote:
    > > <polinaskulski@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > news:1109077283.996341.297760@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
    > >
    > >
    > >>Is there a way to convert a midi file to an audio file that I can
    play
    > >>on CD player which does not support mp3 files?
    > >
    > >
    > > If there is some way of recording the output of the playback side
    of your
    > > PCs sound card with the record side of your sound card, either
    with
    > > software controls or an actual jumper from the output a line input,
    then you
    > > just play your MIDI file while recording it as a standard .wav
    file.
    > >
    > > Built-in faculties for recording the output of the playback side
    of your
    > > sound card have various names like "what you hear" or "stereo mix"
    in your
    > > sound card's record mixer.
    >
    >
    > QuickTime Pro will save a MIDI file as audio, using its synthesizer.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    <polinaskulski@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:1109150261.063484.289080@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I've got an Adobe audition, put my midi file to the first track and
    > mapped it but don't know how to record it, when I try to export it
    > into a .wav file it does not show the track with the midi file in it.

    You have to record the MIDI onto an audio track first then export that audio
    track. Here's a good post from Cakewalk about it but the principle is the
    same regardless of the software:

    http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/techtipaugust.asp
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/lessons/burningcds.asp
Ask a new question

Read More

Pro Audio Audio MIDI