Madden Football 2005 how to play offense or defense

Ok, I've watched US Football for over 30 years. I can tell the difference
between a 4-3 and 3-4 & the difference between a Pro Set vs I formation.
And I know most of the positions and rules. But I'm no John Madden or
Vince when it comes to play calling or figuring out what the opposing team
is lining up to do.

Ok, if it's 3rd and inches, and the offense lines up in a goal line stance,
then the odds are it's a running play.

1. What's the best way to learn what each play in the game is designed to
do? I could go into the drill mode and test each one... but I'm hoping
there's a guide out there on the internet that breaks all this plays down.

2. Is there a legend for the defensive plays as to what each player is
going to do? I've read the manually once but don't recall it covering the
plays. But I'm going to check it again. I can see where some players are
assigned a zone. Others are blitzing. What I wind up doing is hitting
button #8 when the offense approaches the line so I can see what formation
the A/I is in, and what my defenders are doing.

3. There's a "Ask Madden" play calling feature. Do a lot of you use it?

4. Let's say I'm on defense and call defense X. What am I suppose to
look for when the defense breaks from the huddle and approaches the line?

5. Any links to tips/tactics on playing this game? I already have the
gamesfaq link.

tia
OldDog

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I've watched US Football for over 30 years. I can tell the
> difference
> between a 4-3 and 3-4 & the difference between a Pro Set vs I formation.
> And I know most of the positions and rules. But I'm no John Madden or
> Vince when it comes to play calling or figuring out what the opposing team
> is lining up to do.
>
> Ok, if it's 3rd and inches, and the offense lines up in a goal line
> stance,
> then the odds are it's a running play.
>
> 1. What's the best way to learn what each play in the game is designed to
> do? I could go into the drill mode and test each one... but I'm hoping
> there's a guide out there on the internet that breaks all this plays down.
>
> 2. Is there a legend for the defensive plays as to what each player is
> going to do? I've read the manually once but don't recall it covering
> the
> plays. But I'm going to check it again. I can see where some players
> are
> assigned a zone. Others are blitzing. What I wind up doing is hitting
> button #8 when the offense approaches the line so I can see what formation
> the A/I is in, and what my defenders are doing.
>
> 3. There's a "Ask Madden" play calling feature. Do a lot of you use
> it?
>
> 4. Let's say I'm on defense and call defense X. What am I suppose to
> look for when the defense breaks from the huddle and approaches the line?
>
> 5. Any links to tips/tactics on playing this game? I already have the
> gamesfaq link.
>
> tia
> OldDog

1. http://www.vgsportsinc.com/
2. circles mean zone coverage, a line/arrow to a player means that's man
coverage, and a thick arrow is someone blitzing.
3. No way, never.
4. I usually look at what set the offense is in and adjust with playmaker
features (double coverage, shifting groups of players, spreading the line,
bump and run, stuff like that)
5. see link in #1, it's worth it if you're serious about getting better.

Jon, thanks for the info. I had found the link below while searching for
Madden Football tips. I'm a little amazed that EA sports expects gamers to
spend $20 on a 3rd party web site to figure out how to play their game.
Cause at the EA web site, there's not a lot of info on how to
read/understand all of the formations in their game.

I wonder if there's something at the NFL web site about understanding
formations and how to adjust/react to them?

The more that I think about it, there should be a training mode in this game
where the player can walk thru the different plays and have Madden
break down what should happen, what to look for, how to react; and after
the play provide comments on what transpired. But I checked the drill
section of this game, and 0 comments, suggestions, or feedback.

Here's another question. Let's say you call a pass play to one of your
favorite WR.
When your team goes to hike the ball, how do you know what the rating of the
defensive players covering your favorite WR is? I can't make out their
jersey number much less their faces.

Another issue that I've noticed is with the Francise mode. I'll read the
Weekly
Gameplan and see things like, "Terry Holt is the player to go to since Team
X CB is a rookie." But when I go to snap the ball, heck if I can tell
who's covering him. Plus, I just noticed that I can keep clicking on the
Weekly Gameplan and it changes. The first time that I click it, I might
see something like lookout for HB X. But when I keep revisiting this
screen, I might see something like "Good thing HB X is hurt this week and
won't play." It's weird that I have to reclick Weekly Gameplan a few times
to get all of the tips.

Finally, I wish that I could slow the game speed down. This game goes
about 25% too fast for this OldDog. Don't the folks at EA Sports know that
some of us Baby Boomers are fixing to collect Social Security?!?!

"Jon Diehl" <jbdiehl@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, I've watched US Football for over 30 years. I can tell the
> > difference
> > between a 4-3 and 3-4 & the difference between a Pro Set vs I formation.
> > And I know most of the positions and rules. But I'm no John Madden or
> > Vince when it comes to play calling or figuring out what the opposing
team
> > is lining up to do.
> >
> > Ok, if it's 3rd and inches, and the offense lines up in a goal line
> > stance,
> > then the odds are it's a running play.
> >
> > 1. What's the best way to learn what each play in the game is designed
> > do? I could go into the drill mode and test each one... but I'm
hoping
> > there's a guide out there on the internet that breaks all this plays
down.

> > 2. Is there a legend for the defensive plays as to what each player is
> > going to do? I've read the manually once but don't recall it covering
> > the
> > plays. But I'm going to check it again. I can see where some players
> > are
> > assigned a zone. Others are blitzing. What I wind up doing is hitting
> > button #8 when the offense approaches the line so I can see what
formation
> > the A/I is in, and what my defenders are doing.
> >
> > 3. There's a "Ask Madden" play calling feature. Do a lot of you use
> > it?
> >
> > 4. Let's say I'm on defense and call defense X. What am I suppose to
> > look for when the defense breaks from the huddle and approaches the
line?

> > 5. Any links to tips/tactics on playing this game? I already have
the
> > gamesfaq link.
> >
> > tia
> > OldDog
>
> 1. http://www.vgsportsinc.com/
> 2. circles mean zone coverage, a line/arrow to a player means that's man
> coverage, and a thick arrow is someone blitzing.
> 3. No way, never.
> 4. I usually look at what set the offense is in and adjust with playmaker
> features (double coverage, shifting groups of players, spreading the line,
> bump and run, stuff like that)
> 5. see link in #1, it's worth it if you're serious about getting better.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Some things that may you help you out are this. There is a practice mode on
the game. Where you can run plays without a defense. This may help you get
familiar with the plays. This is something thats has helped me in the past,
and I *STILL* do this right now. While playing and after a play. Go to
instant replay, and watch the play. See what develops, see who gets open,
watch for certain blocks. The good thing about instant replay is that you
can lock in on one player and follow him around to see what happens.

As far as slowing the game down, I'm not sure if there is an option for
this. Maybe we can play online and I give you a few pointers. :)

take care

--
Jamie

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know
whether you did it or not.
....O.W.

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats
....Howard Aiken
> [...]
>> >
>> > 4. Let's say I'm on defense and call defense X. What am I suppose
>> > look for when the defense breaks from the huddle and approaches the
> line?
>> >
>> > 5. Any links to tips/tactics on playing this game? I already have
> the
>> > gamesfaq link.
>> >
>> > tia
>> > OldDog
>>
>> 1. http://www.vgsportsinc.com/
>> 2. circles mean zone coverage, a line/arrow to a player means that's man
>> coverage, and a thick arrow is someone blitzing.
>> 3. No way, never.
>> 4. I usually look at what set the offense is in and adjust with playmaker
>> features (double coverage, shifting groups of players, spreading the
>> line,
>> bump and run, stuff like that)
>> 5. see link in #1, it's worth it if you're serious about getting better.

I've been using the pratice mode. It did help. I was praticing some
running and passing plays against the Pats. It was interesting to see how
the A/I would change their defensive backs and linemen every now and then.
Even though the play was just a standard 4-3.

So sometimes I was able to get good yardard against the A/I.... but then
WHAM! I'm hit in the back field or right at the line.

As far as I can tell, rushing is a pain in the #ss. I watch as my
offensive lineman bumps a man and then let's him get by. I'll watch my
fullback go by a defender and WHAM! I'm on my back.

Still the game has some nice features. I like the fact that I can adjust
the game with the sliders. I'm trying to recall if the ESPN 2k series has
a "speed" slider? But it's been several years since I've played that
series. Maybe in the next version of Madden, they'll add a "Max Payne
Bullet Time" feature. Now that would be cool. You start your run outside
and then hit Triangle to slow things down. ;)

BTW I use to play a lot of games online. Mostly shooters like Quake,
Medal of Honor, and some UT. But now that I'm getting older, it's lost the
appeal. :( But thanks for the offer.

"Jamie" <whats_an_email@what.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > "Jon Diehl" <jbdiehl@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> > team

> > hoping
> > down.

> > formation

> > line?

> > the

> >> 1. http://www.vgsportsinc.com/
> >> 2. circles mean zone coverage, a line/arrow to a player means that's
man
> >> coverage, and a thick arrow is someone blitzing.
> >> 3. No way, never.
> >> 4. I usually look at what set the offense is in and adjust with
playmaker
> >> features (double coverage, shifting groups of players, spreading the
> >> line,
> >> bump and run, stuff like that)
> >> 5. see link in #1, it's worth it if you're serious about getting

The xbox version has a Madden 101 where Madden breaks down the play and
shows you how it works. You get to practice the play over and over, then you
can move on to the next one. ESPN does have the option for game speed. A
bullet time mode would be a better option then the Madden cards (not on PC).
As for the running game, stay off the turbo use it only in the open field.

> I've been using the pratice mode. It did help. I was praticing some
> running and passing plays against the Pats. It was interesting to see
how
> the A/I would change their defensive backs and linemen every now and then.
> Even though the play was just a standard 4-3.
>
> So sometimes I was able to get good yardard against the A/I.... but then
> WHAM! I'm hit in the back field or right at the line.
>
> As far as I can tell, rushing is a pain in the #ss. I watch as my
> offensive lineman bumps a man and then let's him get by. I'll watch my
> fullback go by a defender and WHAM! I'm on my back.
>
> Still the game has some nice features. I like the fact that I can adjust
> the game with the sliders. I'm trying to recall if the ESPN 2k series
has
> a "speed" slider? But it's been several years since I've played that
> series. Maybe in the next version of Madden, they'll add a "Max Payne
> Bullet Time" feature. Now that would be cool. You start your run
outside
> and then hit Triangle to slow things down. ;)
>
> BTW I use to play a lot of games online. Mostly shooters like Quake,
> Medal of Honor, and some UT. But now that I'm getting older, it's lost
the
> appeal. :( But thanks for the offer.

A Madden 101 for the pc would have been great. I wonder why they didn't
include this in the pc version? Plus, I need to fire off a letter to EA
Sports. I can't handle the pass rush in Madden, and I can't hit Randy
Johnsons's fastball in MVP Baseball. EA Sports really needs to include a
Geezer Game Speed slider for their games. ;)

"GridIronGhost" <GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote in message
> The xbox version has a Madden 101 where Madden breaks down the play and
> shows you how it works. You get to practice the play over and over, then
you
> can move on to the next one. ESPN does have the option for game speed. A
> bullet time mode would be a better option then the Madden cards (not on
PC).
> As for the running game, stay off the turbo use it only in the open field.
>
> OldDog <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> > I've been using the pratice mode. It did help. I was praticing some
> > running and passing plays against the Pats. It was interesting to see
> how
> > the A/I would change their defensive backs and linemen every now and
then.
> > Even though the play was just a standard 4-3.
> >
> > So sometimes I was able to get good yardard against the A/I.... but then
> > WHAM! I'm hit in the back field or right at the line.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, rushing is a pain in the #ss. I watch as my
> > offensive lineman bumps a man and then let's him get by. I'll watch my
> > fullback go by a defender and WHAM! I'm on my back.
> >
> > Still the game has some nice features. I like the fact that I can
adjust
> > the game with the sliders. I'm trying to recall if the ESPN 2k series
> has
> > a "speed" slider? But it's been several years since I've played that
> > series. Maybe in the next version of Madden, they'll add a "Max Payne
> > Bullet Time" feature. Now that would be cool. You start your run
> outside
> > and then hit Triangle to slow things down. ;)
> >
> > BTW I use to play a lot of games online. Mostly shooters like Quake,
> > Medal of Honor, and some UT. But now that I'm getting older, it's lost
> the
> > appeal. :( But thanks for the offer.

Xbox version is on a DVD and the PC version is on 3 CDs, I guess not
everyone has a DVD on a PC yet. Try turning up the pass blocking and run
blocking on the human slider. Turn down the break block for the CPU. If
that don't help, you can always chuck and pray! I don't know how old you
are, but I feel that father time is catching up to me also...time to cheat
some of those sliders.

> A Madden 101 for the pc would have been great. I wonder why they didn't
> include this in the pc version? Plus, I need to fire off a letter to EA
> Sports. I can't handle the pass rush in Madden, and I can't hit Randy
> Johnsons's fastball in MVP Baseball. EA Sports really needs to include a
> Geezer Game Speed slider for their games. ;)
>

> "GridIronGhost" <GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote in message
> > The xbox version has a Madden 101 where Madden breaks down the play and
> > shows you how it works. You get to practice the play over and over, then
> you
> > can move on to the next one. ESPN does have the option for game speed. A
> > bullet time mode would be a better option then the Madden cards (not on
> PC).
> > As for the running game, stay off the turbo use it only in the open
field.

> > OldDog <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> > > I've been using the pratice mode. It did help. I was praticing
some
> > > running and passing plays against the Pats. It was interesting to
see
> > how
> > > the A/I would change their defensive backs and linemen every now and
> then.
> > > Even though the play was just a standard 4-3.
> > >
> > > So sometimes I was able to get good yardard against the A/I.... but
then
> > > WHAM! I'm hit in the back field or right at the line.
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell, rushing is a pain in the #ss. I watch as my
> > > offensive lineman bumps a man and then let's him get by. I'll watch
my
> > > fullback go by a defender and WHAM! I'm on my back.
> > >
> > > Still the game has some nice features. I like the fact that I can
> adjust
> > > the game with the sliders. I'm trying to recall if the ESPN 2k
series
> > has
> > > a "speed" slider? But it's been several years since I've played that
> > > series. Maybe in the next version of Madden, they'll add a "Max
Payne
> > > Bullet Time" feature. Now that would be cool. You start your run
> > outside
> > > and then hit Triangle to slow things down. ;)
> > >
> > > BTW I use to play a lot of games online. Mostly shooters like
Quake,
> > > Medal of Honor, and some UT. But now that I'm getting older, it's
lost
> > the
> > > appeal. :( But thanks for the offer.

Andrew

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:59:15 -0800, "GridIronGhost"
<GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote:

>the time they are not. What is the best instant messager program out there,
>which one should I sign up on? Aim, ICQ, etc.? That is the best way to set
>up a game with you online(PC)...right?

Xfire, it is written specifically for gamers.