Why do current service plans require a forced contract?

Hello,

Yesterday I took a friend to Best Buy to see about getting him to
switch from T-mobile to Sprint PCS. I bought 2 camera phones about 16
months ago (1 year contract) and since then have talked 2 friends into
getting Sprint camera phones also. When I am on vacation I love
instantly sending pictures instantly to friends and family, but I have
to send pictures to his email and it is usually a day or so before he
gets them.

I picked up the current brochure on calling plans and noticed my 500
minute Sprint PCS Free & Clear Plan (nights starting @ 9) was $40.
When I got home I checked my bill and saw that I was paying $45. I
called Sprint to find out why they were charging me more when they
lowered the rates of their plans. The rep told me she could give me
the current rates, but since I was not under contract I would either
have to pay $10/month or enter into a new 1 year contract. I was
simply wanting to make a lateral move from a $45/mo Sprint PCS Free &
Clear Plan to a $45 Sprint PCS Free and Clear America Plan or for them
to charge me the CURRENT price for the CURRENT services I am receiving
which is $40. I do not like having to pay a 15 month old price for
the services I am receiving today. I do not like that they are trying
to force me into a contract for me to recieve their current rates. Is
this retaliation by cell phone companies against consumers due to
portable numbers?

I looked at their T & C's to see if this is true:
Service Plan. You may be eligible for a fixed length PCS Service Plan
("Term Service Plan") or for a month-to-month Service Plan ("Non-Term
Service Plan"). We determine the Service Plan for which you qualify.
Except as permitted by the Agreement, you must maintain service with
us on your Term Service Plan for the minimum term
associated with that Term Service Plan. We may offer non-identical
Service Plans to
different individuals or entities. Services and coverage under some
Service Plans may be more limited than available under other Service
Plans. Your Service Plan sets out the charges for Services and is your
Service Plan until that Service Plan is changed, you switch to a
different Service Plan, or your Services terminate. Based on your
credit rating or other factors, we may require that you make a
deposit, prepayment, or a series of deposits or prepayments, or be
subject to an account spending limit, before Services are activated or
maintained.

Changing Service Plans. If you are on a Non-Term Service Plan, you may
change to a different Service Plan for which you qualify. Any change
is effective at the start of your next full invoicing cycle unless
otherwise specified by us at the time that you place your change
order. If you change or add a different Service Plan or service
feature and the change is effective prior to the start of your next
full invoicing cycle, you will be invoiced a prorated amount. We may
require a service charge for implementing any change directed by you
in addition to the charges associated with the Service Plan or
optional service features you select. If you are on a Term Service
Plan and you want to change your service plan, you may be required to
accept a new Term Service Plan and we may require you to pay the early
termination fee set out in your Service Plan or other fee.

The above does not say anything about a new contract or a $10 per
month fee. It does say "We may require a service charge" though. I
am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

Brian
14 answers Last reply
More about current service plans require forced contract

    I always thought you had to have a contract. I didn't realize the rates
    posted were month to month rates. I have had several lapses when my
    contracts have run out and I have just continued on my current plan. I
    think that is the point of argument though. Whether or not you need to sign
    a contract in order to get posted rates.

    I believe that somebody going month to month should pay a higher amount than
    those of us that signed a contract in order to get the most benefits and
    lowest prices. That is pretty common in any commodity. Apartments for
    example charge a higher price for month to month as opposed to somebody that
    signs a lease. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

    I have switched my plans several times over the years (have had cellphones
    since 1991) and don't recall ever having a problem as long as I was under
    contract with them. Additionally there was never a charge to switch.

    When you sign up you agree to a certain plan for a certain amount of time.
    I believe by default they continue with that plan at the end of service
    unless you call to cancel or change. It isn't their responsibility to
    always switch your plans to the cheapest plan for you. It is your
    responsibility to continually look for better rates and change plans.

    After reading the legal mumbo jumbo you may have a point of argument with
    the company using it's own policies. I would mention that if you call
    again.

    The only thing the new for you program does for people is allow a phone
    upgrade earlier than normal. Normally A person would sign a 1 year or 2
    year contract. On the 1 year contract it is beneficial to just upgrade your
    phone every year and sign a new contract. If you sign a 2 year you normally
    would have to wait until the 2 years is up until you get a new phone with
    rebates and sign a new contract. With a current two year contract you
    simply upgrade your phone at 18 months and you have to sign a new contract.
    I would assume this would void your old contract and your contract period
    would start from the new signing day. But maybe they are slime balls and
    they just add the new contract time onto the old contract time.

    CaptainKrunch

    "Brian C." <hopdrop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
    > a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
    > into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
    > newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
    > their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
    > phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
    > New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
    > about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
    > or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
    > in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
    > and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
    > force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

    Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with their
    current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no contract.
    I think that is true and you can call to verify that.

    Ben
> [...]
    > am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
    > a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
    > into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
    > newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
    > their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
    > phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
    > New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
    > about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
    > or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
    > in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
    > and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
    > force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

    <snipped>

    > The above does not say anything about a new contract or a $10 per
    > month fee. It does say "We may require a service charge" though. I
    > am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
    > a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
    > into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
    > newer technology that is not 16 months old.

    About your current plan and new plans ... plans change all the time. All
    plans require you go with a contract, unless you want to pay $10 more to get
    out of the contract. What other carrier will allow you to do that?

    As it stands now, you've completed your prior contract and SPCS is
    maintaining the same plan you are on a month to month basis. They will
    continue to do that, till you either change plans, move to another company
    or die ...

    > I was thinking of using
    > their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
    > phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
    > New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
    > about existing customers.

    Oh sure they do. Stop your whining. I hate it when someone brings that
    argument up with the reasons you bring up. If you don't want to wait 2
    months & spend $10 more, then change providers. SPCS does offer you the $100
    credit (for a one year contract extension) or $150 credit for two years on a
    new phone purchase.

    > They will do whatever it takes to trick you or force you into a contract.

    What carrier doesn't require a contract these days, if you want a deal on a
    new phone? If you can find one, then go for it ...

    > They pretty much already have me locked
    > in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
    > and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
    > force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

    Sorry, I don't buy your argument. You said your pictures are on YOUR web
    site. Just what does that have to do with SPCS? So what if your family and
    friends are on SPCS? You didn't mention whether you had the PCS2PCS option.

    If you aren't happy, then go ... Port your phone number to another provider.
    It's your decision. Remember though, coverage is not always the same with
    the other providers.

    Bob

    "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
    > Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
    their
    > current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
    contract.
    > I think that is true and you can call to verify that.

    Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the system
    they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
    SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...

    Bob

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > As for SPCS, I can change my plan to my heart's content as well, with no
    > extension, as I'm already on a contract.

    I can for the first three months.

    If I change during month #5, my contract will be extended to five months past
    the end of the original two-year contract.

    It's one of the things I don't like about Sprint...

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
    > their
    > > current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
    > contract.
    > > I think that is true and you can call to verify that.
    >
    > Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the system
    > they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
    > SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...
    >
    > Bob

    The question was not about CDMA or GSM. I know Sprint uses CDMA but, you
    could buy a phone off Ebay to work with Cingular's service. To my
    knowledge, you don't have to sign up for a contract with Cingular if you
    have a phone that will work for their service. Cingular is currently
    phasing out the GAIT National plans and for your information you do have to
    get a phone that is compatible to work with that plan. There are only 2
    phones that Cingular has sold to be used with that plan since those 2 phones
    are capable of GSM, TDMA, and Analog so in fact you have to get a phone that
    is compatible with that plan because if you don't give them the ESN from a
    GAIT compatible phone you can't sign up for a GAIT plan. So there ;p

    In article <4135ec05$0$8081$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>,
    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> writes:
    [snip]

    > I tried to increase from a 500 minute plan to 700 and they wanted to
    > extend my contract, so I politely informed them that I wanted to give
    > them more money each month, but I wasn't going to do it because they
    > won't let me ;)

    I'd like to give SPCS more money, too. Right now my wife is on an
    old low-end Verizon plan. It ends-up costing us about $17/mo. I'd
    switch her to SPCS, even paying a small fee for the new phone, if I
    could add her to my plan for the $20/mo. rate. Maybe even ultimately
    tack-on the $5/mo. for unlimited SPCS2SPCS. But I strongly suspect
    they won't do *any* of that on my old contract-less 300-for-$30/mo.
    plan w/FIMF. I don't feel like callin' 'em up and blowing the time
    and dealing with the rigamarole trying to find out.

    --
    Jim Seymour | PGP Public Key available at:
    WARNING: The "From:" address | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
    > > > Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
    > > their
    > > > current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
    > > contract.
    > > > I think that is true and you can call to verify that.
    > >
    > > Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the
    system
    > > they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
    > > SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > The question was not about CDMA or GSM. I know Sprint uses CDMA but, you
    > could buy a phone off Ebay to work with Cingular's service. To my
    > knowledge, you don't have to sign up for a contract with Cingular if you
    > have a phone that will work for their service. Cingular is currently
    > phasing out the GAIT National plans and for your information you do have
    > get a phone that is compatible to work with that plan. There are only 2
    > phones that Cingular has sold to be used with that plan since those 2
    phones
    > are capable of GSM, TDMA, and Analog so in fact you have to get a phone
    that
    > is compatible with that plan because if you don't give them the ESN from a
    > GAIT compatible phone you can't sign up for a GAIT plan. So there ;p

    Ah, but you didn't say that originally ... You just mentioned "phone" and
    "Cingular" and "plan". Good follow up post though ... ;PPPPP :)

    Bo
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Bob Smith wrote:
    > > As for SPCS, I can change my plan to my heart's content as well, with no
    > > extension, as I'm already on a contract.
    >
    > I can for the first three months.
    >
    > If I change during month #5, my contract will be extended to five months
    past
    > the end of the original two-year contract.
    >
    > It's one of the things I don't like about Sprint...

    My bad ... you are right. SPCS now only allows changes within 3 months. Back
    in the good ole days, it use to be where one could change their plan anytime
    in the AA.

    I just got off the phone with the retention department, and they do extend
    the AA from the next billing cycle. (Called CS, 90 seconds on hold, and
    asked to be transferred to retention dept.)

    Speaking of additional bummer news, I also inquired about the mail in
    rebates for those that qualify on phones with the same phone numbers for 18
    months. Guess what ... when a coupon is used to get either $100 (one year)
    or $150 (two year) rebate, the current AA on the phone, not the account, but
    on the phone when multiple phones are on the account, is extended as well,
    depending on the amount of the rebate requested.

    So, long story short, either way, changing plans or using the mail in rebate
    coupons, they will extend the length of the AA.

    Bob
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Bob Smith wrote:

    > So, long story short, either way, changing plans or using the mail in rebate
    > coupons, they will extend the length of the AA.

    If I'm getting a discounted phone I expect to have to commit to a contract.

    If I'm changing plans and not taking promotions, I shouldn't have to commit to
    a contract.

    That's ok, it'll cost Sprint in the long run. Not me. :)

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers