Why do current service plans require a forced contract?

Tags:
  • Sprint PCS
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
August 30, 2004 5:11:03 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I took a friend to Best Buy to see about getting him to
switch from T-mobile to Sprint PCS. I bought 2 camera phones about 16
months ago (1 year contract) and since then have talked 2 friends into
getting Sprint camera phones also. When I am on vacation I love
instantly sending pictures instantly to friends and family, but I have
to send pictures to his email and it is usually a day or so before he
gets them.

I picked up the current brochure on calling plans and noticed my 500
minute Sprint PCS Free & Clear Plan (nights starting @ 9) was $40.
When I got home I checked my bill and saw that I was paying $45. I
called Sprint to find out why they were charging me more when they
lowered the rates of their plans. The rep told me she could give me
the current rates, but since I was not under contract I would either
have to pay $10/month or enter into a new 1 year contract. I was
simply wanting to make a lateral move from a $45/mo Sprint PCS Free &
Clear Plan to a $45 Sprint PCS Free and Clear America Plan or for them
to charge me the CURRENT price for the CURRENT services I am receiving
which is $40. I do not like having to pay a 15 month old price for
the services I am receiving today. I do not like that they are trying
to force me into a contract for me to recieve their current rates. Is
this retaliation by cell phone companies against consumers due to
portable numbers?

I looked at their T & C's to see if this is true:
Service Plan. You may be eligible for a fixed length PCS Service Plan
("Term Service Plan") or for a month-to-month Service Plan ("Non-Term
Service Plan"). We determine the Service Plan for which you qualify.
Except as permitted by the Agreement, you must maintain service with
us on your Term Service Plan for the minimum term
associated with that Term Service Plan. We may offer non-identical
Service Plans to
different individuals or entities. Services and coverage under some
Service Plans may be more limited than available under other Service
Plans. Your Service Plan sets out the charges for Services and is your
Service Plan until that Service Plan is changed, you switch to a
different Service Plan, or your Services terminate. Based on your
credit rating or other factors, we may require that you make a
deposit, prepayment, or a series of deposits or prepayments, or be
subject to an account spending limit, before Services are activated or
maintained.

Changing Service Plans. If you are on a Non-Term Service Plan, you may
change to a different Service Plan for which you qualify. Any change
is effective at the start of your next full invoicing cycle unless
otherwise specified by us at the time that you place your change
order. If you change or add a different Service Plan or service
feature and the change is effective prior to the start of your next
full invoicing cycle, you will be invoiced a prorated amount. We may
require a service charge for implementing any change directed by you
in addition to the charges associated with the Service Plan or
optional service features you select. If you are on a Term Service
Plan and you want to change your service plan, you may be required to
accept a new Term Service Plan and we may require you to pay the early
termination fee set out in your Service Plan or other fee.

The above does not say anything about a new contract or a $10 per
month fee. It does say "We may require a service charge" though. I
am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

Brian

More about : current service plans require forced contract

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 6:42:18 PM

I always thought you had to have a contract. I didn't realize the rates
posted were month to month rates. I have had several lapses when my
contracts have run out and I have just continued on my current plan. I
think that is the point of argument though. Whether or not you need to sign
a contract in order to get posted rates.

I believe that somebody going month to month should pay a higher amount than
those of us that signed a contract in order to get the most benefits and
lowest prices. That is pretty common in any commodity. Apartments for
example charge a higher price for month to month as opposed to somebody that
signs a lease. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I have switched my plans several times over the years (have had cellphones
since 1991) and don't recall ever having a problem as long as I was under
contract with them. Additionally there was never a charge to switch.

When you sign up you agree to a certain plan for a certain amount of time.
I believe by default they continue with that plan at the end of service
unless you call to cancel or change. It isn't their responsibility to
always switch your plans to the cheapest plan for you. It is your
responsibility to continually look for better rates and change plans.

After reading the legal mumbo jumbo you may have a point of argument with
the company using it's own policies. I would mention that if you call
again.

The only thing the new for you program does for people is allow a phone
upgrade earlier than normal. Normally A person would sign a 1 year or 2
year contract. On the 1 year contract it is beneficial to just upgrade your
phone every year and sign a new contract. If you sign a 2 year you normally
would have to wait until the 2 years is up until you get a new phone with
rebates and sign a new contract. With a current two year contract you
simply upgrade your phone at 18 months and you have to sign a new contract.
I would assume this would void your old contract and your contract period
would start from the new signing day. But maybe they are slime balls and
they just add the new contract time onto the old contract time.

CaptainKrunch

"Brian C." <hopdrop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
> a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
> into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
> newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
> their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
> phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
> New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
> about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
> or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
> in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
> and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
> force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:54:12 PM

Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with their
current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no contract.
I think that is true and you can call to verify that.

Ben
> [...]
> am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
> a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
> into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
> newer technology that is not 16 months old. I was thinking of using
> their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
> phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
> New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
> about existing customers. They will do whatever it takes to trick you
> or force you into a contract. They pretty much already have me locked
> in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
> and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
> force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:31:37 AM

"Brian C." <hopdrop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
<snipped>

> The above does not say anything about a new contract or a $10 per
> month fee. It does say "We may require a service charge" though. I
> am thinking about switching because of this. Why should I enter into
> a contract in order to receive their current rates when I can enter
> into a contract with a different company and get a new phone with
> newer technology that is not 16 months old.

About your current plan and new plans ... plans change all the time. All
plans require you go with a contract, unless you want to pay $10 more to get
out of the contract. What other carrier will allow you to do that?

As it stands now, you've completed your prior contract and SPCS is
maintaining the same plan you are on a month to month basis. They will
continue to do that, till you either change plans, move to another company
or die ...

> I was thinking of using
> their New for You Upgrade program and entering into a contract when my
> phone turns 18, but now I don't know about that. It seems that their
> New For You program is alot of bull and that they really do not care
> about existing customers.

Oh sure they do. Stop your whining. I hate it when someone brings that
argument up with the reasons you bring up. If you don't want to wait 2
months & spend $10 more, then change providers. SPCS does offer you the $100
credit (for a one year contract extension) or $150 credit for two years on a
new phone purchase.

> They will do whatever it takes to trick you or force you into a contract.

What carrier doesn't require a contract these days, if you want a deal on a
new phone? If you can find one, then go for it ...

> They pretty much already have me locked
> in with all my pictures stored and organized into albums on my webpage
> and my friends and family that have Sprint phones, but if they want to
> force me into something I will probably go somewhere else.

Sorry, I don't buy your argument. You said your pictures are on YOUR web
site. Just what does that have to do with SPCS? So what if your family and
friends are on SPCS? You didn't mention whether you had the PCS2PCS option.

If you aren't happy, then go ... Port your phone number to another provider.
It's your decision. Remember though, coverage is not always the same with
the other providers.

Bob
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 6:05:57 AM

"DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
their
> current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
contract.
> I think that is true and you can call to verify that.

Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the system
they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...

Bob
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:39:54 PM

Bob Smith wrote:
> As for SPCS, I can change my plan to my heart's content as well, with no
> extension, as I'm already on a contract.

I can for the first three months.

If I change during month #5, my contract will be extended to five months past
the end of the original two-year contract.

It's one of the things I don't like about Sprint...

September 1, 2004 4:15:22 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> > Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
> their
> > current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
> contract.
> > I think that is true and you can call to verify that.
>
> Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the system
> they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
> SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...
>
> Bob

The question was not about CDMA or GSM. I know Sprint uses CDMA but, you
could buy a phone off Ebay to work with Cingular's service. To my
knowledge, you don't have to sign up for a contract with Cingular if you
have a phone that will work for their service. Cingular is currently
phasing out the GAIT National plans and for your information you do have to
get a phone that is compatible to work with that plan. There are only 2
phones that Cingular has sold to be used with that plan since those 2 phones
are capable of GSM, TDMA, and Analog so in fact you have to get a phone that
is compatible with that plan because if you don't give them the ESN from a
GAIT compatible phone you can't sign up for a GAIT plan. So there ;p
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:34:29 PM

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:50:49 PM

In article <4135ec05$0$8081$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> writes:
[snip]

> I tried to increase from a 500 minute plan to 700 and they wanted to
> extend my contract, so I politely informed them that I wanted to give
> them more money each month, but I wasn't going to do it because they
> won't let me ;)

I'd like to give SPCS more money, too. Right now my wife is on an
old low-end Verizon plan. It ends-up costing us about $17/mo. I'd
switch her to SPCS, even paying a small fee for the new phone, if I
could add her to my plan for the $20/mo. rate. Maybe even ultimately
tack-on the $5/mo. for unlimited SPCS2SPCS. But I strongly suspect
they won't do *any* of that on my old contract-less 300-for-$30/mo.
plan w/FIMF. I don't feel like callin' 'em up and blowing the time
and dealing with the rigamarole trying to find out.

--
Jim Seymour | PGP Public Key available at:
WARNING: The "From:" address | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:12:43 PM

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:22:22 PM

> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> > > Have you tried Cingular? I think if you have a phone compatible with
> > their
> > > current plans you can get activated with an activation fee but, no
> > contract.
> > > I think that is true and you can call to verify that.
> >
> > Phones aren't compatible with plans. Phones are compatible for the
system
> > they are designed for. SPCS and Cingular operate on different protocols.
> > SPCS is a CDMA carrier, and Cingular is a GSM carrier ...
> >
> > Bob
>
> The question was not about CDMA or GSM. I know Sprint uses CDMA but, you
> could buy a phone off Ebay to work with Cingular's service. To my
> knowledge, you don't have to sign up for a contract with Cingular if you
> have a phone that will work for their service. Cingular is currently
> phasing out the GAIT National plans and for your information you do have
> get a phone that is compatible to work with that plan. There are only 2
> phones that Cingular has sold to be used with that plan since those 2
phones
> are capable of GSM, TDMA, and Analog so in fact you have to get a phone
that
> is compatible with that plan because if you don't give them the ESN from a
> GAIT compatible phone you can't sign up for a GAIT plan. So there ;p

Ah, but you didn't say that originally ... You just mentioned "phone" and
"Cingular" and "plan". Good follow up post though ... ;PPPPP :)

Bo
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:14:57 AM

> Bob Smith wrote:
> > As for SPCS, I can change my plan to my heart's content as well, with no
> > extension, as I'm already on a contract.
>
> I can for the first three months.
>
> If I change during month #5, my contract will be extended to five months
past
> the end of the original two-year contract.
>
> It's one of the things I don't like about Sprint...

My bad ... you are right. SPCS now only allows changes within 3 months. Back
in the good ole days, it use to be where one could change their plan anytime
in the AA.

I just got off the phone with the retention department, and they do extend
the AA from the next billing cycle. (Called CS, 90 seconds on hold, and
asked to be transferred to retention dept.)

Speaking of additional bummer news, I also inquired about the mail in
rebates for those that qualify on phones with the same phone numbers for 18
months. Guess what ... when a coupon is used to get either $100 (one year)
or $150 (two year) rebate, the current AA on the phone, not the account, but
on the phone when multiple phones are on the account, is extended as well,
depending on the amount of the rebate requested.

So, long story short, either way, changing plans or using the mail in rebate
coupons, they will extend the length of the AA.

Bob
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:14:58 AM

Bob Smith wrote:

> So, long story short, either way, changing plans or using the mail in rebate
> coupons, they will extend the length of the AA.

If I'm getting a discounted phone I expect to have to commit to a contract.

If I'm changing plans and not taking promotions, I shouldn't have to commit to
a contract.

That's ok, it'll cost Sprint in the long run. Not me. :)

September 3, 2004 7:18:19 PM

!