Memtest-86 question

jhl72

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Are there any acceptable levels of memory errors? What is considered bad memory? 1 error? 10,000 errors?

Thanks

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Accept NO errors! Even 1 error would be bad.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The journey to a thousand errors begins with the first step. One is only the beginning. (Even if one is the loneliest number.)

:)

Seriously though, a small number can sometimes just indicate a power fluxuation at a bad time, an excess of heat, or a little dust buildup. And a power fluxuation and/or an excess of heat can sometimes be caused by dust as well. It's amazing how much dust can screw up PCs really.

So get a can of compressed air, turn off and unplug the PC, open up the case, blow the $#!7 out of the power supply and everything in the PC with the can of air (especially the fans, RAM, and mobo), shake your cold-numbed hands, close up the case and plug her in, and then run the test again. It's amazing how many sudden quirks can be fixed by cleaning the dust out of a PC. :)

Should a problem exist once the PC is clean and dust free, then there's a real problem somewhere.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

jhl72

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Thanks for the replys. I have the new Geil DDR 400 duel channel memory and it sucks! I may just be unlucky but I ran memtest-86 or 12 hours and had over 200,000 errors. Needless to say, I’m returning the Geil and getting Corsair Twin X.

I knew the low price on the Geil was too good to be true.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not a bad idea. I've heard a lot of bad things about Geil. Corsair is a much more trustable brand name. (Especially their TwinX line.) One thing though is to make sure that youre power supply isn't undervolting any rails. RAM can come up with a lot of errors when it's even just slightly undervolted.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>