problem with game play in nhl 2005

In order to play a game I have no choice but to choose both the keyboard
and game pad. I cannot choose just the game pad, the game will not let
me continue. This results in having to play a game with both the
keyboard and gampad, which is just wrong.

How is it supposed to work in choosing just the game pad? The only way
NHL 2005 will advance into the play is for me is to have the gamepad and
keyboard on the same side of the team I want to play.

I've tried using the Saitek p880 and the Microsoft rumblepad; neither
work on their own. I've tried to disconnect the keyboard but it still
comes up. On the other hand, if I don't plug in the gamepad, I only get
the keyboard.

Has anyone run into this problem??

Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about problem game play 2005
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    I have no problems playing with just a gamepad.

    I have the Saitek P880 too. I just had to modify the buttons and save it as
    a NHL 2005 profile when I play, I load it up.

    Is there anything specific you are trying to do that you can't do?

    "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > In order to play a game I have no choice but to choose both the keyboard
    > and game pad. I cannot choose just the game pad, the game will not let me
    > continue. This results in having to play a game with both the keyboard and
    > gampad, which is just wrong.
    >
    > How is it supposed to work in choosing just the game pad? The only way NHL
    > 2005 will advance into the play is for me is to have the gamepad and
    > keyboard on the same side of the team I want to play.
    >
    > I've tried using the Saitek p880 and the Microsoft rumblepad; neither work
    > on their own. I've tried to disconnect the keyboard but it still comes up.
    > On the other hand, if I don't plug in the gamepad, I only get the
    > keyboard.
    >
    > Has anyone run into this problem??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    This may be a stupid question but what comes up when you go to play, for
    example, "play now" or "exhibition"?

    Here's what I get...the default comes up as Calgary vs Tampa. I have a
    keyboard and game pad icon in between the two logos.

    1) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, the keyboard stays in the
    middle. I click on select, the game does nothing.

    2) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    Tampa. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey but
    the game doesn't go on.

    3) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    Calgary. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey
    and the game moves on. I now play the game with some players being
    controlled by the game pad and some players being controlled by the
    keyboard. If I am controlling the players with the game pad and pass to
    a player that is controlled by the keyboard, the game pad does nothing.
    I have to set the game pad down and play that player with the keyboard.

    Obviously the game isn't played this way.

    4) If I unplug the game pad and go into the game, I can play with just
    the keyboard, but if I disable the keyboard through windows, scenario
    number 3 still happens.

    I have no idea why I cannot move forward with just the game pad. I
    installed the SST software that comes with the p880 to use; it installs
    its keyboard compliant software, I'm wondering if this is conflicting
    with game somehow.

    If you would kindly describe what happens when you try the 3 scenarios
    above, it may help in trouble shooting my problem.

    Thanks in advance!

    Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    > I have no problems playing with just a gamepad.
    >
    > I have the Saitek P880 too. I just had to modify the buttons and save it as
    > a NHL 2005 profile when I play, I load it up.
    >
    > Is there anything specific you are trying to do that you can't do?
    >

    > "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>In order to play a game I have no choice but to choose both the keyboard
    >>and game pad. I cannot choose just the game pad, the game will not let me
    >>continue. This results in having to play a game with both the keyboard and
    >>gampad, which is just wrong.
    >>
    >>How is it supposed to work in choosing just the game pad? The only way NHL
    >>2005 will advance into the play is for me is to have the gamepad and
    >>keyboard on the same side of the team I want to play.
    >>
    >>I've tried using the Saitek p880 and the Microsoft rumblepad; neither work
    >>on their own. I've tried to disconnect the keyboard but it still comes up.
    >>On the other hand, if I don't plug in the gamepad, I only get the
    >>keyboard.
    >>
    >>Has anyone run into this problem??
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Your problem is in step 2. Move the gamepad over to your team and leave
    the keyboard in the middle so the CPU will control the opposing team.
    Otherwise, by moving the keyboard over to the opposing team the game
    will think your playing a 2 player game and will wait for a prompt from the
    keyboard to begin OR by moving both the gamepad and keyboard to your team it
    tells the game 2 players will play on the same team.

    Pat

> [...]
    > >

    > > "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>In order to play a game I have no choice but to choose both the keyboard
    > >>and game pad. I cannot choose just the game pad, the game will not let
    me
    > >>continue. This results in having to play a game with both the keyboard
    and
    > >>gampad, which is just wrong.
    > >>
    > >>How is it supposed to work in choosing just the game pad? The only way
    NHL
    > >>2005 will advance into the play is for me is to have the gamepad and
    > >>keyboard on the same side of the team I want to play.
    > >>
    > >>I've tried using the Saitek p880 and the Microsoft rumblepad; neither
    work
    > >>on their own. I've tried to disconnect the keyboard but it still comes
    up.
    > >>On the other hand, if I don't plug in the gamepad, I only get the

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    The game doens't allow me to move ahead under step 2. I can click select
    as much as I want and the game goes no where.

    news.15503 wrote:
    > Your problem is in step 2. Move the gamepad over to your team and leave
    > the keyboard in the middle so the CPU will control the opposing team.
    > Otherwise, by moving the keyboard over to the opposing team the game
    > will think your playing a 2 player game and will wait for a prompt from the
    > keyboard to begin OR by moving both the gamepad and keyboard to your team it
    > tells the game 2 players will play on the same team.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>This may be a stupid question but what comes up when you go to play, for
    >>example, "play now" or "exhibition"?
    >>
    >>Here's what I get...the default comes up as Calgary vs Tampa. I have a
    >>keyboard and game pad icon in between the two logos.
    >>
    >>1) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, the keyboard stays in the
    >>middle. I click on select, the game does nothing.
    >>
    >>2) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    >>Tampa. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey but
    >>the game doesn't go on.
    >>
    >>3) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    >>Calgary. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey
    >>and the game moves on. I now play the game with some players being
    >>controlled by the game pad and some players being controlled by the
    >>keyboard. If I am controlling the players with the game pad and pass to
    >>a player that is controlled by the keyboard, the game pad does nothing.
    >>I have to set the game pad down and play that player with the keyboard.
    >>
    >>Obviously the game isn't played this way.
    >>
    >>4) If I unplug the game pad and go into the game, I can play with just
    >>the keyboard, but if I disable the keyboard through windows, scenario
    >>number 3 still happens.
    >>
    >>I have no idea why I cannot move forward with just the game pad. I
    >>installed the SST software that comes with the p880 to use; it installs
    >>its keyboard compliant software, I'm wondering if this is conflicting
    >>with game somehow.
    >>
    >>If you would kindly describe what happens when you try the 3 scenarios
    >>above, it may help in trouble shooting my problem.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >>Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have no problems playing with just a gamepad.
    >>>
    >>>I have the Saitek P880 too. I just had to modify the buttons and save
    >
    > it as
    >
    >>>a NHL 2005 profile when I play, I load it up.
    >>>
    >>>Is there anything specific you are trying to do that you can't do?
    >>>

    >>>"AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    > me

    > and

    > NHL

    > work

    > up.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    you have to press the select button on the gamepad, for the P880, it is
    number 2 in my profike

    > The game doens't allow me to move ahead under step 2. I can click select
    > as much as I want and the game goes no where.
    >
    > news.15503 wrote:
    >> Your problem is in step 2. Move the gamepad over to your team and
    >> leave
    >> the keyboard in the middle so the CPU will control the opposing team.
    >> Otherwise, by moving the keyboard over to the opposing team the game
    >> will think your playing a 2 player game and will wait for a prompt from
    >> the
    >> keyboard to begin OR by moving both the gamepad and keyboard to your team
    >> it
    >> tells the game 2 players will play on the same team.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>This may be a stupid question but what comes up when you go to play, for
    >>>example, "play now" or "exhibition"?
    >>>
    >>>Here's what I get...the default comes up as Calgary vs Tampa. I have a
    >>>keyboard and game pad icon in between the two logos.
    >>>
    >>>1) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, the keyboard stays in the
    >>>middle. I click on select, the game does nothing.
    >>>
    >>>2) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    >>>Tampa. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey but
    >>>the game doesn't go on.
    >>>
    >>>3) I choose to play Calgary with the game pad, I move the keyboard to
    >>>Calgary. I click on select and "Ready" appears over the Calgary jersey
    >>>and the game moves on. I now play the game with some players being
    >>>controlled by the game pad and some players being controlled by the
    >>>keyboard. If I am controlling the players with the game pad and pass to
    >>>a player that is controlled by the keyboard, the game pad does nothing.
    >>>I have to set the game pad down and play that player with the keyboard.
    >>>
    >>>Obviously the game isn't played this way.
    >>>
    >>>4) If I unplug the game pad and go into the game, I can play with just
    >>>the keyboard, but if I disable the keyboard through windows, scenario
    >>>number 3 still happens.
    >>>
    >>>I have no idea why I cannot move forward with just the game pad. I
    >>>installed the SST software that comes with the p880 to use; it installs
    >>>its keyboard compliant software, I'm wondering if this is conflicting
    >>>with game somehow.
    >>>
    >>>If you would kindly describe what happens when you try the 3 scenarios
    >>>above, it may help in trouble shooting my problem.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance!

    >> it as

    >> me

    >> and

    >> NHL

    >> work

    >> up.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    that was it! thought I did that but guess I didn't. thanks for the advice!

    Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    > you have to press the select button on the gamepad, for the P880, it is
    > number 2 in my profike
    >

    > "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>The game doens't allow me to move ahead under step 2. I can click select
    >>as much as I want and the game goes no where.
    >>
    >>news.15503 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your problem is in step 2. Move the gamepad over to your team and
    >>>leave
    >>>the keyboard in the middle so the CPU will control the opposing team.
    >>> Otherwise, by moving the keyboard over to the opposing team the game
    >>>will think your playing a 2 player game and will wait for a prompt from
    >>>the
    >>>keyboard to begin OR by moving both the gamepad and keyboard to your team
    >>>it
    >>>tells the game 2 players will play on the same team.
    >>>
    >>>Pat
    >>>
    >>>"AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    >>>it as

    >>>me

    >>>and

    >>>NHL

    >>>work

    >>>up.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    no problem

    > that was it! thought I did that but guess I didn't. thanks for the advice!
    >
    > Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    >> you have to press the select button on the gamepad, for the P880, it is
    >> number 2 in my profike
    >>

    >> "AJ" <imaj1965@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The game doens't allow me to move ahead under step 2. I can click select
    >>>as much as I want and the game goes no where.

PC gaming Games Keyboards Video Games