Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Here’s my system

A7N8X Deluxe
512mb ddr3200
AthlonXP 2000+
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y080P0 80GB ATA133
Ti-4200

Everything seemed to be working fine until one day I turned on my computer and I get a Disk Read error and it wouldn’t boot up my OS (winXP). I had it hooked up to my primary IDE channel. Anyway, I took it out and put it in an older machine (A7V) and hooked it up as the slave to its harddrive. I was able to access my files, albeit very slowly.

I backed up everything that was important, and I ran Sisoft 2003 benchmarking tests. It only scored 9000 kb/s with a seek time of 22ms. Before, when it seemed to be working well, it got around 23000kb/s.

After that I hooked it back up to my newer a7n8x machine and put in a new IDE cable. It booted up the OS very slowly (though I don’t think the old IDE cable was bad). I ran Sisoft again; it doesn’t score as high as it once did. Now it gets 16000kb/s with 9ms seek time. Also the drive is very noisy, even more so than my old Maxtor 30gb drive. That can’t be good.

Also when my PC starts, it says my drive is ATA33 and not ATA133. Do I have to buy a SATA converter and hook it up to the integrated serial ATA controller to get it to run at higher speeds?

EDIT: Just took a look at my winXP settings, my harddrive is on UDMA mode 2 (which is ata33), how do i get it back to mode 6?

Any help/comments would be most appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cleteberry on 03/20/03 00:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
You can try to uninstall the IDE controller driver, no worries, it just takes you a reboot to reinstall the driver and you should get back to UDMA Mode 6. If not, then I think your HDD is going to die on you, quickly go claim your warranty and don't even think of that SATA convertor [-peep-].

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...