Onboard sound card question

howie75

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
I'm planning to buy a new system within the next week. For now, I'm not buying any extra sound cards, just the onboard sound card. I ONLY use a headphone when using the computer playin games and listening to music. Would I experience an noticeable upgrade of sound quality by upgrading to a decent sound card like an SB audigy, even though I always use a headphone? Another thing I wondered is, does using the onboard soundcard during some of the newer games affect the performance of the computer?

sturm

Splendid
for most cards the sound quality is dependent on the speakers. since u only use headphones u dont need the surround sound/5.1/6.1 setup which is the main reason to buy an add on card. the newer onboard sounds are very good,many with surround, and dont effect games that much that u will be able o tell.
Save the money and just use the onboard sound.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I am using a p4pe with soundmax 6channel audio onboard right now because my water cooler killed my sblaster audigy2 .....and hell I cant even tell a difference at all!!!....I was amazed....I should have saved the money and just used the onboard

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Unless you're using really good headphones (not wal-mart brand), you won't really notice any difference in sound quality, unless it's a really crappy soundcard, such as an SBLive! vs. a Fortissimo III. If you're just using headphones, the onboard should be fine for you. If you want to use speakers, however, I suggest getting a quality soundcard, as even the least discerning ear can notice the differences.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
IMHO (contrary to what others have said) one listens more critically via headphones, especially if they're a decent pair (not super high end but decent in terms of quality of the sound). As the headphone output of a card is analogue and outputs the sound coming out of the digital to analog converter (DAC) of the sound card, you WILL notice a difference between a good sound card (with a better DAC) and your onboard sound with its DAC located onboard (thus being more susceptible to RF noise generated by various [moving] devices inside the case, not to mention the onboard DACs aren't anything to write home about).

As to what to buy, both Fortissimo 3 and Audigy are great choices for midrange cards with decent quality.