Old Computer New Hard Drive

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hello

I've got an old Dell, PII 333 on an Intel 440LX board, with an 11 Gb HD. Can't afford to replace the computer yet, but would like to get a larger HD with the idea the HD would eventually go into a new system.

Am thinking about getting an 80 Gb Western Digital with the 8 Mb cache. Problem is, isn't there a 40 Gb limit or something on these older systems? If I made two or more partitions, do you think the computer would recognize it?

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it. Oh, and I just got the latest BIOS update, it was dated from Dec of 1999. <LOL>

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

You shouldn't have too many problems. What operating system are you planning to use?

BTW, you won't get the real performance from that hard drive using your existing setup, but it's a good buy if you plan to upgrade the rest of your system soon.

:eek: I want to eat your face :eek:

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Had an LX board, it did have a limit of 32gig, but the 40gb hdd I bought had a 32gig limit on the jumpers... as long as the hdd has this option U will be fine...
When U upgrade the board, you can release the rest of the capacity (though you will have to use something like partition magic to find it !!!)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
I had thought to create two partitions and dual boot Win98SE and WinXP. But am not sure XP will be real pleasent to use on this old machine, as well as what would happen when I install the HD into a new system and have too many of the components change.

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
change the mainboard & U WILL need to reinstall (this I had to do meself last weekend)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
If I'm correct, you should be able to get past the size limit if you diable to on board IDE controllers and install an IDE controller card. May want to get a card that supports ata 133 so that you can use drives that are larger then 137gb.

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.