Sprint Data Plan v Earthlink Wireless

Earthlink has a CDMA wireless data plan for $19 a month. It looks like they
are reselling the Sprint plan, but I cannot be sure. Unfortunately, I am
not in a city that Earthlink markets the plan in, but I'm wondering whether
this is the same service being sold for 1/4 the price?

What is your data allowance for $19.99?

"Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message

evad

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002

"Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
> Earthlink has a CDMA wireless data plan for $19 a month. It looks like
> they
> are reselling the Sprint plan, but I cannot be sure. Unfortunately, I am
> not in a city that Earthlink markets the plan in, but I'm wondering
> whether
> this is the same service being sold for 1/4 the price?

It must be Verizon CDMA not Sprint, I checked the 97701 zipcode and
Earthlink said there was no service there, and I know Sprint has CDMA there,
and not Verizon.

Evad

Oops, once I clicked on the signup link I saw that it was a per megabyte
plan. It isn't really much better than I'm currently paying with Sprint,
less the 10% discount I get through my wife's employer because Sprint is
their chosen corporate carrier.

Stu

https://store.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsisa.dll/store/product.html?product=nationwideaccess

> "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What is your data allowance for $19.99?
> >

> > "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message

"Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
> Earthlink has a CDMA wireless data plan for $19 a month. It looks like
they
> are reselling the Sprint plan, but I cannot be sure. Unfortunately, I am
> not in a city that Earthlink markets the plan in, but I'm wondering
whether
> this is the same service being sold for 1/4 the price?

As far as I know, EL's Wireless data service is provided through Verizon
(via info obtained through a call to EL), and it's comparably priced with
what SPCS offers @ $80/mo. for unlimited service. That $19.99 fee mentioned
above is only for 10 MB/mo.

https://store.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsisa.dll/store/elinks.html?product=nationwideaccess&action=pricing

Bob

mjohns2

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

It has to be Sprint. I use to work at Earthlink, then call Earthlink/Sprint.
Sprint had alot in stake with Earthlink a few years ago. I don't know how it
is now that Earthlink partnered with MindSpring.

"mjohns2" <ghck@kvj.com> wrote in message
> It has to be Sprint. I use to work at Earthlink, then call
Earthlink/Sprint.
> Sprint had alot in stake with Earthlink a few years ago. I don't know how
it
> is now that Earthlink partnered with MindSpring.

Just because EL & Sprint have had common marketing in the past, doesn't mean
that EL didn't pursue a deal through Verizon. Call up EL yourself and find
out ...

Bob

As you can see, I caught it after my initial post. They don't give you any
fee other than the low ball bid, until you go through a couple of screens
into the sign up process.

Stu
"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
> > Earthlink has a CDMA wireless data plan for $19 a month. It looks like
> they
> > are reselling the Sprint plan, but I cannot be sure. Unfortunately, I
am
> > not in a city that Earthlink markets the plan in, but I'm wondering
> whether
> > this is the same service being sold for 1/4 the price?
> >
> As far as I know, EL's Wireless data service is provided through Verizon
> (via info obtained through a call to EL), and it's comparably priced with
> what SPCS offers @ $80/mo. for unlimited service. That $19.99 fee
mentioned
> above is only for 10 MB/mo.

https://store.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsisa.dll/store/elinks.html?product=nationwideaccess&action=pricing

> Bob

>> Earthlink has a CDMA wireless data plan for $19 a month. It looks like
>> they
>> are reselling the Sprint plan, but I cannot be sure

Earthlink is owned by Sprint Corporate!

--
John S.

>Sprint had alot in stake with Earthlink a few years ago. I don't know how it
>is now that Earthlink partnered with MindSpring.

Sprint also bought Mindspring. So now they own Earthlink and Mindspring.
'course that has been 2 or 3 years ago that this all happened!

--
John S.

>Just because EL & Sprint have had common marketing in the past, doesn't mean
>that EL didn't pursue a deal through Verizon. Call up EL yourself and find
>out ...

Yes it does mean that they don't have a deal with Verizon. They are owned
outright by Sprint Corporate.

--
John S.

John S. wrote:
>>Just because EL & Sprint have had common marketing in the past, doesn't mean
>>that EL didn't pursue a deal through Verizon. Call up EL yourself and find
>>out ...
>
> Yes it does mean that they don't have a deal with Verizon. They are owned
> outright by Sprint Corporate.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=ELNK

No they aren't.

Unless I'm missing something.

Sprint isn't listed as one of the major shareholders on the y! page,
and

http://www.earthlink.net/about/history/

doesn't say anything about current Sprint ownership.

http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_elinkstockbuyback_sprint/

does say that Earthlink bought back one million shares held by Sprint as part
of an investment between 1998 and 2000. That news is related to

http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_25mill_stock_buyback/

So yes, Sprint used to own a chunk of Sprint, but it looks like they no longer do.

Smiling Wickedly, Steve Sobol answered:

> John S. wrote:
>
>>>Just because EL & Sprint have had common marketing in the past, doesn't mean
>>>that EL didn't pursue a deal through Verizon. Call up EL yourself and find
>>>out ...
>>
>>Yes it does mean that they don't have a deal with Verizon. They are owned
>>outright by Sprint Corporate.
>

> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=ELNK
>
> No they aren't.
>
> Unless I'm missing something.
>
> Sprint isn't listed as one of the major shareholders on the y! page,
> and
>
> http://www.earthlink.net/about/history/
>
> doesn't say anything about current Sprint ownership.
>
> http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_elinkstockbuyback_sprint/
>
> does say that Earthlink bought back one million shares held by Sprint as part
> of an investment between 1998 and 2000. That news is related to
>
> http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_25mill_stock_buyback/
>
> So yes, Sprint used to own a chunk of Sprint, but it looks like they no longer do.

Don't know what's going in at Earthlink. but it seems that it would be
conflict of interest for them to be partnering with BOTH companies.

But my wife and I get a discount for Earthlink for using Sprint phone
service. And it seems I read SOMEWHERE on the Earthlink page that they
DO use Sprint for thier wireless. Can't find it bow though.

Michael
--
~\\|//~
-(o o)-

The map on Earthlink's web site looks like verizon's map not Sprint
PCS'. And the $175 early termination fee fits too.

"Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Smiling Wickedly, Steve Sobol answered:

> >>Yes it does mean that they don't have a deal with Verizon. They are
owned
> >>outright by Sprint Corporate.
> >

> > http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=ELNK
> >
> > No they aren't.
> >
> > Unless I'm missing something.
> >
> > Sprint isn't listed as one of the major shareholders on the y! page,
> > and
> >
> > http://www.earthlink.net/about/history/
> >
> > doesn't say anything about current Sprint ownership.
> >
> > http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_elinkstockbuyback_sprint/
> >
> > does say that Earthlink bought back one million shares held by Sprint as
part
> > of an investment between 1998 and 2000. That news is related to
> >
> > http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_25mill_stock_buyback/
> >
> > So yes, Sprint used to own a chunk of Sprint, but it looks like they no
longer do.

> Don't know what's going in at Earthlink. but it seems that it would be
> conflict of interest for them to be partnering with BOTH companies.
>
> But my wife and I get a discount for Earthlink for using Sprint phone
> service. And it seems I read SOMEWHERE on the Earthlink page that they
> DO use Sprint for thier wireless. Can't find it bow though.
>

> Michael

Sprint hasn't owned any major stock positions in EL since 06/03.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=ELNK

As for a conflict of interest, how's that?

Bob

Bob Smith wrote:

> As for a conflict of interest, how's that?

It might be if Sprint still owned a significant chunk of Earthlink. I see the
current situation as being similar to Radio Shack selling both Verizon and
Sprint PCS cell phones. Unless RS signed an exclusive deal with one carrier,
there is no problem.

Bob Smith wrote:

> "Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Smiling Wickedly, Steve Sobol answered:

> mean
> find

> owned
> > >

> > > http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=ELNK
> > >
> > > No they aren't.
> > >
> > > Unless I'm missing something.
> > >
> > > Sprint isn't listed as one of the major shareholders on the y! page,
> > > and
> > >
> > > http://www.earthlink.net/about/history/
> > >
> > > doesn't say anything about current Sprint ownership.
> > >
> > > http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_elinkstockbuyback_sprint/
> > >
> > > does say that Earthlink bought back one million shares held by Sprint as
> part
> > > of an investment between 1998 and 2000. That news is related to
> > >
> > > http://www.earthlink.net/about/press/pr_25mill_stock_buyback/
> > >
> > > So yes, Sprint used to own a chunk of Sprint, but it looks like they no
> longer do.
> > >
> > Don't know what's going in at Earthlink. but it seems that it would be
> > conflict of interest for them to be partnering with BOTH companies.
> >
> > But my wife and I get a discount for Earthlink for using Sprint phone
> > service. And it seems I read SOMEWHERE on the Earthlink page that they
> > DO use Sprint for thier wireless. Can't find it bow though.
> >

> > Michael
>
> Sprint hasn't owned any major stock positions in EL since 06/03.
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=ELNK
>
> As for a conflict of interest, how's that?
>
> Bob

By owning or having an interest in one company, and then partnering with
another competitor. We still get a discount through earthlink, for
having sprint service.

"Michael Arends" <mlarends@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Bob Smith wrote:
<snipped>
> > Sprint hasn't owned any major stock positions in EL since 06/03.
> > http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=ELNK
> >
> > As for a conflict of interest, how's that?
> >
> > Bob
>
> By owning or having an interest in one company, and then partnering with
> another competitor. We still get a discount through earthlink, for
> having sprint service.

But EL didn't own any Sprint Stock. Sprint owned EL stock up in till
June/03, and even if they did, so what? There was no conflict of interest on
the part of EL. They were and still are completely separated companies. They
might have had some marketing deals going on, but there's no conflict of
interest. What's more, EL didn't start offering Wireless service, till late
last year, IIRC from the emails I received from them.

Lots of companies invest their funds into other company stocks. Sorry, but
I'm not one of agreement.

Bob

>So yes, Sprint used to own a chunk of Sprint, but it looks like they no
>longer do.

Based on the links that you posted I have to agree.

Thanks!

--
John S.