The OTHER latency stuff

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Alright. We've all reached consensus that CL2 RAM is better. Yay us. But what about the other latency stuff. Corsair sells 2-2-2-5-T1 RAM, and Geil sells 2-6-3-3-T2 RAM. Other companies have different stuff, you get the picture. What does the other stuff stand for, and how important is it? Thanks to all who respond!

<Brendini>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well it's hard to straighten out. Everyone seems to like ordering their information differently. Generally though it'll be in the order of 2-2-2. The point though is that true CAS2 will have timings of 2-2-2. CAS 2.5 will be more like 2-3-3. CAS 3 will be 3-3-3. Anything worse than 3-3-3, yikes!

I could be slightly wrong, but I think that's more or less how it works. So I would think that Geil 2-6-3-3 is (reordered) 2-3-3-6, which is more like CAS 2.5 compared to the 2-2-2-5 of true CAS2.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. (And if anyone has a really good article on this, I'd love to read it.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
If you really want to know I will help you. Basically they are just timing delays. There are different steps that memory takes to do a cycle. (read and write)

Read this article by <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr2/" target="_new">Lost Curcuits</A>.

It will do most of the work. The rest of us can help you understand what you don't get the first time through.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28752#28752" target="_new">THGC meeting? Would you go if there was one?</A>

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
You get mad points for posting that article. That explains it all and doesn't leave anything out. It's technical, but it all comes together once you get the main idea. It answered my question, and we should all start to look at all of the latencys, not just the first one, because that's not essentially "CL2"

<Brendini>

TRENDING THREADS