Madden Players: 2005 defense strategy (color symbols:blue,..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can someone explain to me what those colors mean in the defense
playbooks where the football players are assigned to certain colors
like yellow, blue, and purple. Thanks.

<veng.xiong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can someone explain to me what those colors mean in the defense
> playbooks where the football players are assigned to certain colors
> like yellow, blue, and purple. Thanks.

I asked this question about a month ago (see question #2 below and the reply
for it later on). Hopefully you can click the link below, if not try and
cut and paste it into your web browser.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports/browse_thread/thread/bd83d61112f9cd08/26e343141fcafdef?q=olddog+madden+football#26e343141fcafdef

OldDog Feb 2, 7:53 am posted:
Ok, I've watched US Football for over 30 years. I can tell the difference
between a 4-3 and 3-4 & the difference between a Pro Set vs I formation.
And I know most of the positions and rules. But I'm no John Madden or
Vince when it comes to play calling or figuring out what the opposing team
is lining up to do.

Ok, if it's 3rd and inches, and the offense lines up in a goal line stance,
then the odds are it's a running play.

1. What's the best way to learn what each play in the game is designed to
do? I could go into the drill mode and test each one... but I'm hoping
there's a guide out there on the internet that breaks all this plays down.

2. Is there a legend for the defensive plays as to what each player is
going to do? I've read the manually once but don't recall it covering the
plays. But I'm going to check it again. I can see where some players are
assigned a zone. Others are blitzing. What I wind up doing is hitting
button #8 when the offense approaches the line so I can see what formation
the A/I is in, and what my defenders are doing.

3. There's a "Ask Madden" play calling feature. Do a lot of you use it?

4. Let's say I'm on defense and call defense X. What am I suppose to
look for when the defense breaks from the huddle and approaches the line?

5. Any links to tips/tactics on playing this game? I already have the
gamesfaq link.

Jon Diehl Feb 3, 4:31 am replied with:
1. http://www.vgsportsinc.com/
2. circles mean zone coverage, a line/arrow to a player means that's man
coverage, and a thick arrow is someone blitzing.
3. No way, never.
4. I usually look at what set the offense is in and adjust with playmaker
features (double coverage, shifting groups of players, spreading the line,
bump and run, stuff like that)
5. see link in #1, it's worth it if you're serious about getting better.

ghostdogg

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
In both Madden and NCAA Defensive coverage is as follows.

Blue = Deep ball coverage. Usually assigned to a CB or S. Player will float back and pick up any opponent that enters his zone of play.

Rose = Midfield coverage. Mainly focus on the sideline protection. Usually assigned to a LB or S.

Yellow = Midfield coverage. Protects the middle of the field against the Post. Assigned to LB, S, or a drop back DL.

Purple = Flat coverage. Protects the flats from short dump passes to the Backs & receivers. Normally a CB plays this with a LB picking up his receivers with S help.

Hope that helped out.