Looking for Software

I am looking for software to program my VI660, the only software that I have
found on the Samsung website is written in chineese. Anybody have any ideas
what will work?

--
insert witty comment here..

my bad, wrong samsung model number
its a SPH-a660

trollster wrote:

> my bad, wrong samsung model number
> its a SPH-a660

It's marketed by Sprint as the VI660. Same phone.

I may be able to offer some information. What do you mean by "programming"?
Configuring the phone in some way other than through the phone's own menus? Or
creating apps for the phone?

Being a Java programmer, I have been able to develop apps for my 660. Deploying
them to the phone is ridiculously simple with Sprint's system, too.

But... what exactly is it that you're trying to do??

I would like to upload my contacts from outlook, send up my own ringtones,
because paying for a ringtone that expires after 90 days does not sound to
fair, that one program that is offered on Samsungs website looks like it
does all of this but like i said, its in a a different language. I searched
google and found the same program but it was in portuguese.
The software that samsung offers for free is the same for all phones, I
tried different models on there website to see if the software name or
version changed. It didn't.

thanks

sjsobol@JustThe.net

trollster wrote:

> I would like to upload my contacts from outlook, send up my own ringtones,

Sending your own ringtones to your phone is pretty simple. I find

http://www.rumkin.com/tools/sprint/

to be a useful resource. You will only pay per KB for the data transferred, and
even then you will only pay per KB *if* you don't have an unlimited Vision
plan. No charge to upload stuff to the website.

> because paying for a ringtone that expires after 90 days does not sound to
> fair, that one program that is offered on Samsungs website looks like it
> does all of this but like i said, its in a a different language. I searched
> google and found the same program but it was in portuguese.
> The software that samsung offers for free is the same for all phones, I
> tried different models on there website to see if the software name or
> version changed. It didn't.

Kinda like Kyocera offers one software package for all of their phones.

The Rumkin website offers a free tool for uploading content. I myself am trying
to figure out where to go for software that allows me to sync contacts and
scheduled items.

> I would like to upload my contacts from outlook, send up my own ringtones,
> because paying for a ringtone that expires after 90 days does not sound to
> fair, that one program that is offered on Samsungs website looks like it
> does all of this but like i said, its in a a different language.

To follow up on Steve's post and to add one more thing, even if the
ringtones expire in 90 days, it's only expiring in your Content Manager, not
on your phone. Any ringtone downloaded to your phone stays there till you
delete it.

As for syncing your phone, there are a number of different syncing programs
out there. I can't say whether your phone model is supported, but you can
check @ futuredial.com, susteen.com or bitpim.org.

As for downloading ringtones, there are a number of sites available. Some
ask for a donation, or a year or six month subscription fee. Here a few
links you can check out.

http://www.3gupload.com
http://www.matrixm.com
http://www.xingtones.com
http://www.myphonefiles.com

Bob

> I searched
> google and found the same program but it was in portuguese.
> The software that samsung offers for free is the same for all phones, I
> tried different models on there website to see if the software name or
> version changed. It didn't.
>
> thanks
>

> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> > trollster wrote:
> >
> > > my bad, wrong samsung model number
> > > its a SPH-a660
> >
> > It's marketed by Sprint as the VI660. Same phone.
> >
> > I may be able to offer some information. What do you mean by
> "programming"?
> > Configuring the phone in some way other than through the phone's own
> menus? Or
> > creating apps for the phone?
> >
> > Being a Java programmer, I have been able to develop apps for my 660.
> Deploying
> > them to the phone is ridiculously simple with Sprint's system, too.
> >
> > But... what exactly is it that you're trying to do??
> >
> > --
> > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
kids.

How do you upload your stuff to your phone? I have a usb cable for mine. But
it is of no use for now.

--
insert witty comment here....

trollster wrote:

> How do you upload your stuff to your phone? I have a usb cable for mine. But
> it is of no use for now.

Use that URL I gave you. Upload stuff from your computer to the website.
Download it over the Internet to your phone using Vision. The site gives you
instructions on how to do it.

What do you mean by content manager? I still keep the ringtones and they
will work? I am sorry I dont follow your here.

--
insert witty comment here....

"trollster" <troll@localhost.com> wrote in message
> What do you mean by content manager? I still keep the ringtones and they
> will work? I am sorry I dont follow your here.

Go to your SPCS manage page, by plugging your phone number and password, via
www.sprintpcs.com. Once the manage page comes up, look towards the bottom of
the page, where you will find the link to your Content Manager. Anything you
buy, i.e.: screensaver, ringer or application from SPCS is first put in your
Content Manager, which stays in your Content Manager, until the expiration
date. You have up to 90 days to download. SPCS puts an expiration date on
most, if not all of their screensavers, etc, so that they can flush it out @
whatever the expiration date is to free up hard drive space.

Once you download your ringer to your phone, it's going to stay there till
you delete it.

Bob

ahhhh...I gotcha. I was thinking that the ringtone would expire after 90
days. Ok...You can call me dumb...hehe

--

> "trollster" <troll@localhost.com> wrote in message
> > What do you mean by content manager? I still keep the ringtones and they
> > will work? I am sorry I dont follow your here.
>
> Go to your SPCS manage page, by plugging your phone number and password,
via
> www.sprintpcs.com. Once the manage page comes up, look towards the bottom
of
> the page, where you will find the link to your Content Manager. Anything
you
> buy, i.e.: screensaver, ringer or application from SPCS is first put in
your
> Content Manager, which stays in your Content Manager, until the expiration
> date. You have up to 90 days to download. SPCS puts an expiration date on
> most, if not all of their screensavers, etc, so that they can flush it out
@
> whatever the expiration date is to free up hard drive space.
>
> Once you download your ringer to your phone, it's going to stay there till
> you delete it.
>
> Bob

Got it, thanks.

Have you ever used on of the USB cables?

--
insert witty comment here....

trollster wrote:

> Got it, thanks.
>
> Have you ever used on of the USB cables?

Nope.

ok, i was just wondering if any ony one had any luck with them.

--
insert witty comment here....

> Got it, thanks.
>
> Have you ever used on of the USB cables?

I have. Many a time ... You can check with Radio Shack's web site to see if
they have a cable to fit your unit. There are a number of other sources
through the web, and the first two of those syncing sources I mentioned to
you earlier in the thread.

Bob

I have one, just don't have the software... ;)

--

> I have one, just don't have the software... ;)

Then check those syncing software sites I recommended ...

Bob