Sign in with
Your question

Submit button again

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 10:33:18 AM

Apologise for starting yet another thead, but I can't reply to last one from any machine using any mouse. Only leaves W'less router, ISP and Tom's website as common factors. I'll try from a different laptop on neighbour's connection to eliminate router/ ISP.

More about : submit button

a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 10:43:21 AM

wasnt the mouse then

have you tried a different web browser?

though could be the toms website--its prone to some hiccups like this thread doesnt exist etc

does it happen on a different site?
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 10:58:19 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
wasnt the mouse then

have you tried a different web browser?

though could be the toms website--its prone to some hiccups like this thread doesnt exist etc

does it happen on a different site?

Tried different browsers,different ISP,different OS's, Tom's only common factor left. Also when Submit to replies not working, can't create yet another thread, get an error msg 'must select a subsection'.
Stumped.
No probs on other sites

Running out of options to reply,may go very quiet soon! Seems I only get one shot at replying...

But I am allowed to edit...(different colour button?

Perhaps a developer will take an interest...
Created new account, that won't work either...
Related resources
June 17, 2012 11:27:32 AM

try creating a new account on Tom's to see if you have some weird corrupt profile in the database.
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 11:43:31 AM

[quotemsg=192100,4,1225739

Exactly the same results with totally new account, weird...

And it's intermittent on this account, mostly can't use 'Add a reply' or Quick Reply' but am allowed to use 'Edit' and sometimes reply to another member, like this one.

Even that came out wrong!
June 17, 2012 1:06:08 PM

With Avg 'Do not track' disabled...
June 17, 2012 1:06:24 PM

It worked...
Hopefully problem solved...
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 1:10:58 PM

And from my usual account...
Yes!
Now, how do I go about removing the superfluous account...
June 17, 2012 6:24:15 PM

so it was AVG? Please post full answer and mark solved as I think this could be a useful thread
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 7:17:01 PM

jamesmcuk said:
so it was AVG? Please post full answer and mark solved as I think this could be a useful thread

Deduced it had to be common to all the machines I tried and the only change I could think of was the recent addition of an Add-on by AVG which is named 'Do not Track'.
Once I'd disabled it all returned to normal. Perhaps the Submit buttons trigger some sort of tracking cookie, which is then blocked by AVG when used subsequently?
Don't see any means of marking this as 'Solved' as it was posed as a discussion rather than a Question... Perhaps achieved by a moderator...
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 7:18:40 PM

Just trying a reply with Do not track enabled. This might work and the next one fail.
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 7:19:44 PM

2nd attempt, if this works, back to the drawing board...

Not allowed more than 3 consecutive posts so I'll give up meantime and do some more experimenting tomorrow. Perhaps it was pure coincidence that the fault disappeared when disabling the add-on.
June 17, 2012 7:42:36 PM

Can talk to myself using my alternate account. Purely in the interests of science....I'll ask a mod how to cancel the other account once I've sorted this out. This reply is from the laptop with the Add-on untouched using Quick Reply
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 7:54:15 PM

That post worked, but the next one failed. So I disabled the Add-on, still no joy. Left tearing hair out...Barking up the wrong tree I guess. Why is the desktop working and the laptop not? Don't know what to compare.
June 17, 2012 8:17:55 PM

Trying laptop with Java updated and Add-on disabled
June 17, 2012 8:19:53 PM

And add-on enabled
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 8:23:55 PM

Conclusion thus far-problem can be sorted by updating Java and temporarily disabling AVG 'Do not track' Add-on. But i won't be convinced till it works for a day or three...
June 17, 2012 8:56:22 PM

LOL best thread ever! Keep updating it. If you can't reply PM me and I will post it for you on this thread :-)
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 9:10:01 PM

since you mention do not track

there are a lot of tracking cookies on here

but i have always blocked them with the ghostery add-on for firefox without any issues

picks up 15 of them on this page

maybe try safe mode with networking enabled just to see if its any different in case its a software issue of

some sort

any browser toolbars installed?
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 9:48:37 PM

Was getting fed up talking to myself... seems to be behaving itself on both desktop and laptop at the moment. Have Google toolbar on both machines. If it were software it has to be the same issue on 4 different machines and on both Vista and Win7 32bit + 64bit

Combination of updating Java and disabling 'Do not track' did the trick but haven't a clue why. Perhaps there's someone 'out there' tweaking my settings...
!