Quick O2R q

Last response: in Home Audio
February 24, 2005 1:27:51 PM

Want to get 8 ch of direct out from an O2R into my Multiface in an
unfamiliar studio, so don't want to repatch their desk to any great extent.
Unfortunately the desk seems to only have TDIF card installed. Inserts are
unused. Do the Inserts work on channels with a digital source (I expect
not)? From the block diag it looks like they're only available to Analogue
Inputs 1-8, pre-DA; but as I'm no expert at reading these things pls
confirm there isn't a way to route 8 ch of a TDIF digital multitrack out to
discrete analogue outs.

More about : quick o2r

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:27:52 PM

Beg, borrow, steal, or purchase a Motu 2408 interface. In standalone mode,
it will convert from tdif to lightpipe.

"Karl Engel" <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> wrote in message
> Want to get 8 ch of direct out from an O2R into my Multiface in an
> unfamiliar studio, so don't want to repatch their desk to any great
> extent.
> Unfortunately the desk seems to only have TDIF card installed. Inserts
> are
> unused. Do the Inserts work on channels with a digital source (I expect
> not)? From the block diag it looks like they're only available to
> Analogue
> Inputs 1-8, pre-DA; but as I'm no expert at reading these things pls
> confirm there isn't a way to route 8 ch of a TDIF digital multitrack out
> discrete analogue outs.

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:00:39 PM

Recently, Karl Engel <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> posted:

> Want to get 8 ch of direct out from an O2R into my Multiface in an
> unfamiliar studio, so don't want to repatch their desk to any great
> extent. Unfortunately the desk seems to only have TDIF card
> installed. Inserts are unused. Do the Inserts work on channels with
> a digital source (I expect not)? From the block diag it looks like
> they're only available to Analogue Inputs 1-8, pre-DA; but as I'm no
> expert at reading these things pls confirm there isn't a way to route
> 8 ch of a TDIF digital multitrack out to discrete analogue outs.

Is the TDIF card for your O2R out of your budget range?

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/Model...

Neil
February 25, 2005 5:24:29 PM

Yep I have one but was hoping to not have to unscrew their TDIF connectors.
(Techs at radio stations are very precious about people changing patching -
understandably.)

Next Q, since I've always used lightpipe... can I get a TDIF cable from any
computer store cheaper than from a "pro audio" shop? I have a similar one
from a printer I think, except it's male-female & I assume TDIF connectors
are male at both ends. The male end fits my MOTU connector, but are "real"
TDIF cables some special impedance or wired differently?

"Tonehenge" <brownbag@NOSPAMmindless.com> wrote in message
> Beg, borrow, steal, or purchase a Motu 2408 interface. In standalone
mode,
> it will convert from tdif to lightpipe.
>

> "Karl Engel" <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> wrote in message
> > Want to get 8 ch of direct out from an O2R into my Multiface in an
> > unfamiliar studio, so don't want to repatch their desk to any great
> > extent.
> > Unfortunately the desk seems to only have TDIF card installed. Inserts
> > are
> > unused. Do the Inserts work on channels with a digital source (I expect
> > not)? From the block diag it looks like they're only available to
> > Analogue
> > Inputs 1-8, pre-DA; but as I'm no expert at reading these things pls
> > confirm there isn't a way to route 8 ch of a TDIF digital multitrack out
> > discrete analogue outs.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:24:30 PM

Karl Engel wrote:
> Yep I have one but was hoping to not have to unscrew their TDIF connectors.
> (Techs at radio stations are very precious about people changing patching -
> understandably.)
>
> Next Q, since I've always used lightpipe... can I get a TDIF cable from any
> computer store cheaper than from a "pro audio" shop? I have a similar one
> from a printer I think, except it's male-female & I assume TDIF connectors
> are male at both ends. The male end fits my MOTU connector, but are "real"
> TDIF cables some special impedance or wired differently?

A TDIF cable is TASCAM part number PW-88DL for the long version, they
probably use S for short.

It's a bunch of twisted pairs, they're all wired straight across, and
the connector is male on both ends; the devices all have female. It's
probably very different from your printer cable.

Word clock is also present on TASCAM devices and carried by TDIF, but
not on some other makes; I don't know about the O2R. If it's not you
may have to connect it as well.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:24:30 PM

In article <421e9a6a@dnews.tpgi.com.au> "Karl Engel" <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> writes:

> Next Q, since I've always used lightpipe... can I get a TDIF cable from any
> computer store cheaper than from a "pro audio" shop?

No. You can't get a TDIF cable from "any" computer store at all. You
may even have difficulty these days getting one from a "pro audio"
shop unless you have a real pro audio shop. Computer store cables are
generally wired "straight through" (pin 1 on one end goes to pin 1 on
the other end) but since TDIF carries both the output and input on the
same connector, they have ot be "cross wired." You really need to
either know the wiring diagram or know what each pin does so you can
connect gozoutas to gozintas. I'm sure there's an overall shield, and
there may be individual shields inside the TDIF cable. I've never
built one or disassembled one myself but there may be documentation on
the TASCAM web site but you'll have to dig for it (or wait for
Googlemaster Arny to post the link <g>).

And before you ask, computer store cables aren't conducive to being
rewired on one end to turn them into TDIF cables. Spend the bucks with
a supplier who knows what you really need.

February 25, 2005 5:24:31 PM

In article <znr1109334977k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <421e9a6a@dnews.tpgi.com.au> "Karl Engel" <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> writes:
>
>> Next Q, since I've always used lightpipe... can I get a TDIF cable from any
>> computer store cheaper than from a "pro audio" shop?
>
>No. You can't get a TDIF cable from "any" computer store at all. You
>may even have difficulty these days getting one from a "pro audio"
>shop unless you have a real pro audio shop. Computer store cables are
>generally wired "straight through" (pin 1 on one end goes to pin 1 on
>the other end) but since TDIF carries both the output and input on the
>same connector, they have ot be "cross wired." You really need to
>either know the wiring diagram or know what each pin does so you can
>connect gozoutas to gozintas. I'm sure there's an overall shield, and
>there may be individual shields inside the TDIF cable. I've never
>built one or disassembled one myself but there may be documentation on
>the TASCAM web site but you'll have to dig for it (or wait for
>Googlemaster Arny to post the link <g>).

It's in the back of the DA-38 manual, at least. But one of the things
that they don't tell you is that if you use a 25-pin ribbon cable and
crimp-on DB-25 connectors, you can crimp one to one side of the cable
and the second one to the other.

>And before you ask, computer store cables aren't conducive to being
>rewired on one end to turn them into TDIF cables. Spend the bucks with
>a supplier who knows what you really need.

Markertek stocks TDIF cables.
--scott