Stuck in hibernation or bad bios chip

dlee2010

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I upgraded the dell diemension e520 to a 400 gb hard drive and upgraded to windows 7 ultimate x64 Everything was running perfectly I had pctools free antivirus for 64 bit systems and it didn't recognise there was even an antivirus loaded I should have left it and scheduled updates and scans bit I instead uninstalled and put on 64 bit avira and left it unattended I never thought about hibernation in power settings to disingage hibernation now there is no reaction to anything I try to get it out unpluged power supply put back in removed battery cmos cleared cmos jumper no changes occasionally it will give a 6 long beep bios code which I found to be keyboard related well I swapped out 4 keyboards and monitors even put a pci video card in still touch the power button and it surges then stops then comes on again and nothing boots all lights stay on lick it is trying to boot but nothing happens I don't know if bios is fried or what help if you can please Thank You

isamuelson

Distinguished

:eek: First off, please use punctuation. It makes it much easier to read.

Now, from reading your post, it appears as if you apparently installed a new hard drive, installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64, pc tools or something like that. Then, you left it alone and when you came back, it appeared to be in hibernation mode. However, it didn't respond to anything you tried (moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard, etc). Then, you unplugged it/turned off the power, removed the ups, removed the bios, etc. I sure hope you made sure first and foremost you statically discharged yourself before doing all that.

Have you tried to ensure that all power connectors are attached to your devices (hard drives, etc) as well as all data cables? I'm wondering if it's more of a loose connection somewhere on the hard drive that's set up to boot. In fact, when you added the 400 gb hard drive, did it replace what was already there or are you using the original as well as the new hard drive? Which drive did you install windows on?

If none of that works, you may have fried something.

dlee2010

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I originally had a WD 320 sata. As I said previously I upgraded to the 400 sata. Everything was working perfectly, I also transfered data from original to new hdd. It had vista premium x32 but everything wanted was properly transferred using usb to sata transfer device. All connections are working correctly unless the sata connection from the power supply could have quit working correctly. It has 2 connections from power supply, I have tried both with same results, Is it at all possible that just that part of the power supply became defective? because when I could get into bios it was recognized. I do have a power supply tester, I should try that. I am thinking while typing (sorry) I would hate to buy a new MB because of something I screwed up. Also I left avira x64 unattended and that is what I am wandering. It does find locked files. I am only using the 400 by the way and the original will not boot as well. I am sure there is more on my mind but for now that's it Thank You very much