Sign in with
Your question

How to delete downloaded but uninstalled Windows Updates in Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
June 17, 2012 3:09:30 PM

How to delete downloaded but uninstalled Windows Updates?

Downloaded updates and installs before computer is shut off. The next time I use the computer and shuts down, it prompts me to install the updates again whether or not I am on the net. This happens over and over ever time I use the computer. I checked the updtes available and the file numbers are the same. I need to tweak the Windows Update somehow? or I need to delete them manually. Please help.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:06:07 PM

IF they are downloaded but not installed then install them and it should stop the notification since they are then installed --- Otherwise Hide them and it will no longer prompt you to install them (but there is rarely any need to hide an update instead of installing it - except those few instances where an update has problems on certain systems )
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:08:54 PM

I'm confused .... you purposely downloaded the updates but don't want to install them ?

Thought if turning WU off ?
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:34:20 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'm confused .... you purposely downloaded the updates but don't want to install them ?

IIRC Windows doesn't like you to turn off updates and will continue to nag you with Security Risk prompts through the Security center if it is off. I have mine set to download but not install (since I like to to update on a schedule but do not mind having them download in the background) But MS even makes that hard to do as the Shut down button does not offer to let you shut down if there are updates downloaded and waiting to be installed without first logging off your account and then shutting down and a few times even if doing that it will decide to install the updates itself when you boot (seems there are a few updates that MS tries to force install no matter what setting you use !)

I normally install all updates once a month at the same time I do maintenance on the system rather than just let MS decide to install them when it feels like to make troubleshooting any problems a bit easier but MS makes doing that a bit harder since once an update is released it changes your shut down option to Install updates and shut down so waiting to install the updates then requires logging off your user account and then shutting down until you do install them.
June 17, 2012 4:36:35 PM

JDFan said:
IF they are downloaded but not installed then install them and it should stop the notification since they are then installed --- Otherwise Hide them and it will no longer prompt you to install them (but there is rarely any need to hide an update instead of installing it - except those few instances where an update has problems on certain systems )

The updates were installed but each time I shut down, it prompts to install again. Happens every time I use the computer. It seems to be installing the same updates over and over again (the FBs are the same). At the same time, the updates still remain and do not 'disappear' after installing as it should do. Thanks for your help.
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:48:44 PM

IF you check in windows update history does it list them as succesfully installed ?? Have yo done a system restore at some point after installing those that reverted to before they were installed perhaps ?

If they show as succesfully installed yet are still trying to reinstall then you could just hide the ones that are duplicates.

From WIndows Help :

Quote:
You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it. Here's how to hide an update:

Click to open Windows Update.

Do one of the following:

Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.

Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.

Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

Click OK.

June 17, 2012 4:54:20 PM

It was on automatic download, problem was it kept installing and re-installing them over and over again. I can hide them, but I didn't want more and more updates (when there are more updates coming) to accumulate in the puter.
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 5:04:28 PM

Another thing to check is do those updates rely on already having some other update installed ? -- some updates will fail to install if they are installed at the same time as another update that they modify and thus will try to reinstall after the failed update finally gets installed (IIRC awhile back a few .net updates were trying to install even though the newer version of .net had been installed so that they would fail to install since that version no longer was installed )
June 17, 2012 5:31:05 PM

JDFan said:
Another thing to check is do those updates rely on already having some other update installed ? -- some updates will fail to install if they are installed at the same time as another update that they modify and thus will try to reinstall after the failed update finally gets installed (IIRC awhile back a few .net updates were trying to install even though the newer version of .net had been installed so that they would fail to install since that version no longer was installed )

The offending updates were installed correctly. I believe they were the same updates because the FB number is the same. In fact because it re-installed a few times, there are more than 1 occurences in the update history. I might have to delete them. But I should delete these repetitively installing updates first because they would re-install again. The question is how?
July 13, 2012 1:10:54 PM

In my experience this usually happens because one or more updates require you to agree a licence and for some reason Windows is unable to bring up the licence agreement.

Go to the Microsoft website and download and install each update from there. That usually cures the problem.

Look in Windows Update to find the file names of the failed updates and then search for them on the MS site.
!