EA signs exclusive agreement with NCAA Football

Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/36534

Folks, this is VERY bad news. EA can eat my shorts now. For EA fan
boys, I hope you enjoy EA not getting any competition on them. Eat it
up, and have fun. At least with other companies around, EA was
compelled to improve. Now, all they need to do is tweaks, and race the
price of their games $5-$10 each.

Have fun.

- Richard Hutnik
20 answers Last reply
More about signs exclusive agreement ncaa football
  1. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    You want an explanation, ? Here's your explanation. God is
    Pissed.

    > http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/36534
    >
    > Folks, this is VERY bad news. EA can eat my shorts now. For EA
    > fan boys, I hope you enjoy EA not getting any competition on
    > them. Eat it up, and have fun. At least with other companies
    > around, EA was compelled to improve. Now, all they need to do
    > is tweaks, and race the price of their games $5-$10 each.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    So you're blaming EA? They got the best deal they could.

    The NCAA sold the rights. Miles Brand is the antichrist. And I'm
    not even from Indiana.

    --
    mutt

    "By the unwinking red eye of Ra."
  2. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    From the article:

    "When we began our analysis of the videogame landscape, it became
    apparent that EA SPORTS was best positioned from a marketing and
    development perspective to maximize the sales opportunities for college
    football," said Pat Battle, CEO of The Collegiate Licensing Company.
    "Electronic Arts has been a tremendous partner, and we are thrilled that
    the EA SPORTS team has renewed its commitment to the college market. We
    look forward to seeing how EA will continue to grow its NCAA Football
    franchise through innovative game play, unique marketing programs and
    its dedicated sales force."

    benstylusfish translation:

    "EA put a big bag of money on the table. We conferred and decided that
    indeed it was quite a big bag, and after confirming that it was, in
    fact, filled with money, we decided to get while the getting's good."

    Honestly, I don't even care anymore. EA's got another license locked
    up. What else is new?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > Honestly, I don't even care anymore. EA's got another license locked
    > up. What else is new?

    I once heard a wise man say:

    "If life's a game, then soon EA will own the rights to it."
  4. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    OrangeDood, kick ass? Well, that is subject to debate. Point is now,
    EA killed off any form of competition. What makes you think they are
    even going to try to do things better? They aren't. End of story.
    Tell me otherwise. As of now, no one short of Midway will be doing
    football.

    - Richard Hutnik
  5. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OrangeDood, kick ass? Well, that is subject to debate. Point is now,
    > EA killed off any form of competition. What makes you think they are
    > even going to try to do things better? They aren't. End of story.
    > Tell me otherwise. As of now, no one short of Midway will be doing
    > football.

    maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.

    a.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Andrew Smith wrote:

    > maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.
    >
    > a.

    Way to tackle the issue head on, Andrew. Because, you know, his point
    is completely and totally invalidated by the complexion and demeanor of
    his rear end.

    You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    improving their games if they're the only games in town?

    And how much do you anticipate Madden 2006 will cost at retail?
  7. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    [benstylus (blacklion@juno.com)]
    [Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:16:36 GMT]

    :You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    :improving their games if they're the only games in town?

    Uhh.. gee.. I wonder.. so that people will BUY them, maybe?

    --
    Bryan S. Slick, onyx_hokie at yahoo dot com

    "There ain't nothing wrong a few cold beers can't iron out
    in fact, you tell me just when and where, and I'll buy the first round"

    [Terri Clark, "I Think The World Needs a Drink"]
  8. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Bryan S. Slick wrote:

    > [benstylus (blacklion@juno.com)]
    > [Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:16:36 GMT]
    >
    > :You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    > :improving their games if they're the only games in town?
    >
    > Uhh.. gee.. I wonder.. so that people will BUY them, maybe?

    Well, let's look at that, shall we?

    Why do people keep buying annual sports games year after year? Yes,
    some buy them for the tweaks and updates, but most do it because they
    want to play with current teams and rosters.

    And if EA simply releases full price roster updates, they'll still sell
    like hotcakes.

    Granted they'll likely do a great deal of retooling graphics and such
    for the next gen consoles, but after their first next gen title in each
    of their annual sports, it's laurel-resting time.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 12 Apr 2005 19:23:47 -0700, richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

    >OrangeDood, kick ass? Well, that is subject to debate. Point is now,
    >EA killed off any form of competition. What makes you think they are
    >even going to try to do things better? They aren't. End of story.
    >Tell me otherwise. As of now, no one short of Midway will be doing
    >football.

    EA didn't, the NCAA did. I can't understand people whinging about EA.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew Smith wrote:
    >

    >> maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.
    >>
    >> a.
    >
    > Way to tackle the issue head on, Andrew. Because, you know, his point is
    > completely and totally invalidated by the complexion and demeanor of his
    > rear end.
    >
    > You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    > improving their games if they're the only games in town?
    >
    > And how much do you anticipate Madden 2006 will cost at retail?

    You should get your wordy, pasty ass outside with that other guy?

    a.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > Bryan S. Slick wrote:
    >
    >> [benstylus (blacklion@juno.com)]
    >> [Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:16:36 GMT]
    >>
    >> :You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    >> :improving their games if they're the only games in town?
    >>
    >> Uhh.. gee.. I wonder.. so that people will BUY them, maybe?
    >>

    > Well, let's look at that, shall we?
    >
    > Why do people keep buying annual sports games year after year?

    'Cause they're a buncha pasty, Ho-Ho-eatin' loosers that can't walk from the
    car to Krispy Kreme without a shot of albuterol?

    a.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 12 Apr 2005 10:51:52 -0600, OrangeDood <no_this_isnt@my_email.com>
    wrote:

    >If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another
    >five minutes, benstylus <blacklion@juno.com>!
    >
    >> Honestly, I don't even care anymore. EA's got another license
    >> locked up. What else is new?
    >
    >Plus, their games kick ass. Where's the problem here?

    yeah, that GoldenEye Rogue Agent pissed on Halo2.
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

    get my "whinin' pasty ass outside"? And that answers the question
    about the future of video football how?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/36534
    >
    > Folks, this is VERY bad news. EA can eat my shorts now. For EA fan
    > boys, I hope you enjoy EA not getting any competition on them. Eat it
    > up, and have fun. At least with other companies around, EA was
    > compelled to improve. Now, all they need to do is tweaks, and race the
    > price of their games $5-$10 each.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    Get over it. You don't like EA and anything that company does you'd be
    displeased about.

    Try to get over your own prejudices and look at things more clearly. EA was
    the only gaming company that had a decent college football game. Sega's
    attempt fell way, way short.

    If a company makes an excellent sport's game and it is far and away the best
    on the market, most gamers will overlook licenses and get the better game.
    I know I would. Rosters with names would soon follow anyhow.

    I don't think this announcement means a thing. It's not changing my life, I
    know that. Move on: worry about things that really matter. Why bother with
    some silly thing about licenses and your own bias against EA?

    Thank God you don't work for the Post Office, if you know what I mean.

    Alanb
  15. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Bryan ok, fine. EA can own everything videogame related. Have fun. I
    am glad you care nothing about being able to play football on a
    console.

    - Richard Hutnik
  16. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > get my "whinin' pasty ass outside"? And that answers the question
    > about the future of video football how?

    At first, I didn't think you were stupid, just lazy.

    a.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    benstylus wrote:
    > Andrew Smith wrote:
    >

    > > maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.
    > >
    > > a.
    > >

    > Way to tackle the issue head on, Andrew. Because, you know, his
    point
    > is completely and totally invalidated by the complexion and demeanor
    of
    > his rear end.
    >
    > You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to
    keep
    > improving their games if they're the only games in town?

    Does EA really improve the game each year? Other than some new
    stupied corso comments, you can hardly tell one year to the next.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/36534
    >
    > Folks, this is VERY bad news. EA can eat my shorts now. For EA fan
    > boys, I hope you enjoy EA not getting any competition on them. Eat it
    > up, and have fun. At least with other companies around, EA was
    > compelled to improve. Now, all they need to do is tweaks, and race the
    > price of their games $5-$10 each.

    Pssst. Who cares? EA still can't use college player names anyway?

    Jonah Falcon
  19. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Andrew Smith" <anla@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > "benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Smith wrote:
    >>

    >>> maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.
    >>>
    >>> a.
    >>
    >> Way to tackle the issue head on, Andrew. Because, you know, his point is
    >> completely and totally invalidated by the complexion and demeanor of his
    >> rear end.
    >>
    >> You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to keep
    >> improving their games if they're the only games in town?
    >>
    >> And how much do you anticipate Madden 2006 will cost at retail?

    $49.99. But that price increase from $39.99 was before the exclusivity
    contract. (Online stuff.)

    Jonah Falcon
  20. Archived from groups: rec.sport.football.college,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 17 Apr 2005 14:51:26 -0700, "cardboard" <cardboard@boomercat.com>
    wrote:

    >benstylus wrote:
    >> Andrew Smith wrote:
    >>

    >> > maybe you should get your whinin' pasty ass outside.
    >> >
    >> > a.
    >> >

    >> Way to tackle the issue head on, Andrew. Because, you know, his
    >point
    >> is completely and totally invalidated by the complexion and demeanor
    >of
    >> his rear end.
    >>
    >> You're such a genius, answer me this: What is EA's motivation to
    >keep
    >> improving their games if they're the only games in town?
    >

    >Does EA really improve the game each year? Other than some new
    >stupied corso comments, you can hardly tell one year to the next.

    You're clearly not playing the game.

    "Improve" is subjective, but there are definitely noticable changes.

    J.
    -
    Skinned Pig Football
    www.skinnedpig.blogspot.com
    4/1: Guessing the Draft: The First Five Picks
    3/24: 2005 Draft: The Best & The Sleepers
    3/18: Skinned Pig's Draft Team 2005

PC gaming Games Video Video Games Product