How to reset SCH8500 to default settings?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 15, 2004 11:43:00 PM

Hey gang-

We bought two new Sprint phones and I'll probably put our trusty ole'
Samsung SCH8500s on eBay. Does anyone know if there is a keyboard
shortcut or trick to reset the phone to default settings and delete all
phonebook entries, etc?

Thanks!

Dave

--

Email reply to kupe@NOSPAMbellsouth.net after removing the NOSPAM
Anonymous

"Dave K." <see_signature_for_email@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang-
>
> We bought two new Sprint phones and I'll probably put our trusty ole'
> Samsung SCH8500s on eBay. Does anyone know if there is a keyboard
> shortcut or trick to reset the phone to default settings and delete all
> phonebook entries, etc?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

Go into the Security option off the menu, plug in the last 4 # on your
telephone number. You should find an option to reset the phone and knock out
your phone book.

Bob
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 6:31:51 PM

Thanks Bob- that worked! I did both the Erase Address Book, and the
Reset Phone to Defaults options.

While we're on it, can you think of anything else I should do to clear
the phone to make it safe to sell? For example, I'm concerned that any
email login cookies- i.e. for Yahoo mail- are gone so that my email
accounts can't be accessed like I used to do with that phone.

Thanks!

Dave

--

Email reply to kupe@NOSPAMbellsouth.net after removing the NOSPAM
September 16, 2004 9:33:24 PM

> Thanks Bob- that worked! I did both the Erase Address Book, and the
> Reset Phone to Defaults options.
>
> While we're on it, can you think of anything else I should do to clear
> the phone to make it safe to sell? For example, I'm concerned that any
> email login cookies- i.e. for Yahoo mail- are gone so that my email
> accounts can't be accessed like I used to do with that phone.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

Resetting the phone should have cleared out all cookies. Only thing that may
still be on your phone is your phone number, and that shouldn't be a
problem.

Now, here's the kicker, and that is, even if you sell the phone, the buyer
may not be able to activate it on SPCS's system as SPCS won't activate their
older phones, where the MIN and ESN don't match. I don't know all the much
about it, nor whether it applies to the 8500, but there have been posts made
regarding not being able to activate older phones onto the system.

If the phone can't be activated, it still can be used by someone to call 911
for emergency calls.

Bob
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 9:33:25 PM

Bob Smith wrote:

> Now, here's the kicker, and that is, even if you sell the phone, the buyer
> may not be able to activate it on SPCS's system as SPCS won't activate their
> older phones, where the MIN and ESN don't match. I don't know all the much
> about it, nor whether it applies to the 8500, but there have been posts made
> regarding not being able to activate older phones onto the system.

To expand on Bob's description:

The Electronic Serial Number is the serial number given to the phone by the
manufacturer. The MIN is the Mobile ID number. You also have an MTN, the Mobile
Telephone number.

The MTN is the number people call you on. The MIN is a separate ID used for
number portability purposes. If I'm not mistaken, a phone without an MIN can't
be ported to another carrier, and the reason SPCS probably wouldn't activate it
is because it doesn't have the ability to correctly handle number portability.
(but that's just speculation on my part; don't take it as gospel)

September 17, 2004 2:50:05 PM

Interesting. It seems like the Samsung SCH8500 is still fairly popular.
I would think (hope) that Sprint would activate them. Anyone know
differently?

Dave

--

Email reply to kupe@NOSPAMbellsouth.net after removing the NOSPAM
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 8:51:51 PM

> Interesting. It seems like the Samsung SCH8500 is still fairly popular.
> I would think (hope) that Sprint would activate them. Anyone know
> differently?
>
> Dave

Dave, why not go to the source, give *2 a call, tell them you are going to
give or sell your 8500 away and would they be able to activate it?

Bob
!