Broken headphone jack on laptop

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 11:03:59 PM

My headphone jack broke on my laptop, and I just bought this laptop
this month. Now when I plug in my receiver into the jack it makes a
buzzing noise. Any advice? The plastic covering of the headphone jack
broke off.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 11:05:38 AM

I think I'm gonna take Amy's advice. She suggested I get a USB audio
port, and there is one for 30 bux at J and R. You go, girl!

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1109304239.450519.237430@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> > My headphone jack broke on my laptop, and I just bought this laptop
> > this month. Now when I plug in my receiver into the jack it makes a
> > buzzing noise. Any advice? The plastic covering of the headphone
jack
> > broke off.
>
> You're out of luck, unless you can convince the computer manufacturer
> to replace it under warranty. Assuming something inside the computer
> is what's broken. Some people call a plug a jack, and a plug
typically
> has a plastic covering over it (and a jack doesn't - otherwise you
> wouldn't have a hole into which to put the plug).
>
> It's because of problems like this that I'm so vocal about not using
> equipment with mini jacks anyplace where I really care that they
work.
> They're so fragile, and not all that reliable even when they're not
> working. But you can't get a laptop with an alternate audio interface
> built in.
>
> Given that if this turns out to be an out-of-warranty computer
repair,
> it will be much simpler and less expensive for you to buy an external
> audio interface that connects to the computer via Firewire or USB,
and
> simply ignore the internal sound card. The bonus is that you'll
> substantially improve the audio quality of your computer.

a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 11:11:40 AM

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> I think I'm gonna take Amy's advice. She suggested I get a USB audio
> port, and there is one for 30 bux at J and R. You go, girl!

Better increase your font size on you newsreader.
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 12:47:51 PM

In article <1109304239.450519.237430@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> My headphone jack broke on my laptop, and I just bought this laptop
> this month. Now when I plug in my receiver into the jack it makes a
> buzzing noise. Any advice? The plastic covering of the headphone jack
> broke off.

You're out of luck, unless you can convince the computer manufacturer
to replace it under warranty. Assuming something inside the computer
is what's broken. Some people call a plug a jack, and a plug typically
has a plastic covering over it (and a jack doesn't - otherwise you
wouldn't have a hole into which to put the plug).

It's because of problems like this that I'm so vocal about not using
equipment with mini jacks anyplace where I really care that they work.
They're so fragile, and not all that reliable even when they're not
working. But you can't get a laptop with an alternate audio interface
built in.

Given that if this turns out to be an out-of-warranty computer repair,
it will be much simpler and less expensive for you to buy an external
audio interface that connects to the computer via Firewire or USB, and
simply ignore the internal sound card. The bonus is that you'll
substantially improve the audio quality of your computer.

a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 3:29:41 PM

I'rn so sorry, but thanks for the help. I bought the iMic and will
probably buy one for rny rnornrny.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 3:35:47 PM

"S O'Neill" <nopsam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
>> I think I'm gonna take Amy's advice. She suggested I get a USB audio
>> port, and there is one for 30 bux at J and R. You go, girl!
>

> Better increase your font size on you newsreader.

;-)

Yes, then the difference between Amy and Arny will become more apparent.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 7:03:35 PM

Actually, I find I fixed it by taking my plug out and letting my laptop
(dell inspiron 5160) run on batteries. That is a good fix, I can return
the iMic. The iMic did not fix it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 12:28:56 AM

In article <1109376215.159153.68150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Jonathan Wolfson <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote:
>Actually, I find I fixed it by taking my plug out and letting my laptop
>(dell inspiron 5160) run on batteries. That is a good fix, I can return
>the iMic. The iMic did not fix it.

Oh, you have a noisy power supply, possibly combined with a ground loop.
That's common, but has nothing to do with your broken jack.
--scott
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 8:30:17 AM

I originally thought the noise was due to a broken headphone jack,
attempted to fix it with a USB audio interface, but this did not fix
it. Then I happened to unplug it, and the noise was gone.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 9:29:33 AM

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'rn so sorry, but thanks for the help.

Don't be, it happens about once every month or two. I've been on Usenet for
about a decade so that means that maybe something like 100 people have
already made this mistake before you!

>I bought the iMic and will probably buy one for rny rnornrny.

LOL!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 9:31:36 AM

> Actually, I find I fixed it by taking my plug out and letting my
> laptop (dell inspiron 5160) run on batteries. That is a good fix, I
> can return the iMic. The iMic did not fix it.

Oh, a ground loop and not a broken jack.

Here's some reading about ground loops:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Ground-Loops/

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.htm...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 10:01:26 AM

In article <1109376215.159153.68150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> Actually, I find I fixed it by taking my plug out and letting my laptop
> (dell inspiron 5160) run on batteries. That is a good fix, I can return
> the iMic. The iMic did not fix it.

Wait a minute. I know that the battery charger on Dell laptops has
been known to cause extraneous noises with an audion interface, but
what does this have to do with a broken headphone jack?

Or are you someone else who hijacked this thread?

a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 4:25:32 PM

In article <1109424617.320607.112610@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> I originally thought the noise was due to a broken headphone jack,
> attempted to fix it with a USB audio interface, but this did not fix
> it. Then I happened to unplug it, and the noise was gone.

I guess I still don't understand what you're saying. Around here, a
"broken jack" is one that doesn't secure the plug and contact is bad.
It sounds like you're describing a problem with something inside the
computer (hardware or software), not the external jack.