Wireless noob where to start?

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all, I want to change my computer from cable to wireless and add a tv. I'm going to order another tv receiver from verizon and run another line from the splitter. I think they allow me 4, I already have 3.
I'm not sure whats required for the computer. I understand I need to add a wireless card. What else is required? Is it very complicated?

Some good links to info would be great.

Thjanks all

badam

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
You would need to make sure your router is wifi capable. For the computer you can get a wireless card that you install inside the computer or just a wireless antenna that plugs into a usb port, I have found the usb antenna to be the easiest. The tv also would have to have a built in wireless card or be able to accept a usb antenna unless you intend to have that wired to the network.

Once you have all the needed hardware setting up the network is pretty simple.
While the computer is wired to the router connect to your router usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to configure the wireless connection. It is best to use WPA2 with AES encryption for security and a password 8 characters or longer these should just be options somewhere under your wireless settings tab. Then its just a matter of connecting to your wireless network from the wireless computer. There are additional things that can be done to add security but this is just the basic steps to getting the wifi network setup.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hi badam and thanks for the info. Out of 50 readers your the only one offering help. thanks 4 that.

I already have Verizon Fios on the 1st floor. I only want to add wireless to a now cable connected pc in my basement. Before I drop the cable I want to test the wifi.

1. Which one in your opinion gives better performance. The PCI card or the USB wireless adapter?
2. Will the wireless degrade my speeds by much for gaming and streaming video?

I was looking at this Verizon sells it as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181131

badam

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
To be honest I have not used a PCI wireless card in several years so i cant personally compare the two performance wise, theoretically though there should not be much difference between the two as far as I can imagine. There are some USB antennas that are attached to a wire which allow you to move them around some to improve reception.

Is there a reason for making your computer wireless? You said your router is on the first floor and the pc is in the basement correct? The locations of each in relation to each other can make a big difference, especially since it is the basement. Copper piping especially can interfere with wireless signals as well as insulation. In my basement I can get a signal on my laptop but it is weak even though I am almost directly under the router.

As for the gaming and streaming if you are able to get a strong signal you probably wouldn't notice a large distance, but I prefer the wired connection. The strength of the signal can affect performance alot, and while in games an quick signal drop can boot you out of the game server.

It may be better, if you are looking for portability in the basement, to buy a cheap router, plug that into the wired connect and set it up as an access point. Newegg and microcenter both sell routers for $20 and under which have worked fine for me for over a year.

Bottom line, if you can get a good signal it should work fine and you probably wont notice much difference, but if you can keep the wired connection that is always preferred.