Wireless with 1 Computer

i have looked at several informations on Wireless
Networking and they all have the first computer that is
connected to the wireless router WITH wire, and
additional computers being wireless with PCI wireless
card....

i only have ONE computer, but the problem is, my cable
modem is downstares and my computer is upstairs. Is it
possible to use wireless router that is only hooked to
the cable modem (and not to any computers) and still have
wireless system using a PCI wireless adapter???

to restate the question, can wireless adapter on PC and
the wireless router exchange signals without the router
being connected to any computers with wire?
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless computer

    Yes, however, you would need to use the computer to set up the base station
    in the first place. After that, it could sit connected to cable modem and
    plugged into power just fine. It wouldn't know if it has a wired connection
    or not.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have looked at several informations on Wireless
    > Networking and they all have the first computer that is
    > connected to the wireless router WITH wire, and
    > additional computers being wireless with PCI wireless
    > card....
    >
    > i only have ONE computer, but the problem is, my cable
    > modem is downstares and my computer is upstairs. Is it
    > possible to use wireless router that is only hooked to
    > the cable modem (and not to any computers) and still have
    > wireless system using a PCI wireless adapter???
    >
    > to restate the question, can wireless adapter on PC and
    > the wireless router exchange signals without the router
    > being connected to any computers with wire?

    what do you mean i need a computer to set a base station
    in the first place?

    The connection requires being connected to your modem, the computer AND the
    base station so you can program the base station. See if some of the
    information here allows you to picture it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_WhatIsNetwork.mspx
    --

    > what do you mean i need a computer to set a base station
    > in the first place?

    ah..

    so what i have to do is, bring the computer downstairs
    temporarily. Then, establish the communication between
    the base station and the wireless adapter through the
    wire, and then move back upstairs for wireless system?

    ah, thank you

    what is RJ-45 Cable???

    and another question :P... most advertised Wireless
    Adapters for Laptops, say that it can either be used for
    Laptops or Desktop. Is there difference between the ones
    used for Laptop and desktop? more importantly, will
    laptop adapters use the same PCI slots as desktops do??

    thank you very much

    An RJ-45 cable is also called an Ethernet cable. The Microsoft base
    stations come with one in the box. Yes, there is a difference between
    laptop and desktop adapters on actual "cards" which can be used, since you
    cannot just interchange between the two. A USB device, on the other hand,
    would work in either.
    --

    > ah, thank you
    >
    > what is RJ-45 Cable???
    >
    > and another question :P... most advertised Wireless
    > Adapters for Laptops, say that it can either be used for
    > Laptops or Desktop. Is there difference between the ones
    > used for Laptop and desktop? more importantly, will
    > laptop adapters use the same PCI slots as desktops do??
    >
    > thank you very much

Routers Wireless Wireless Router Computers Networking