MVP Baseball 2005 - PC - home runs

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

I'm playing MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC for months now and am still
getting clobbered by the AI. Even in Rookie Mode, the AI still manages
to hit a few home runs off me. I have mixed up pitches to no avail. Are
there any pitching tips that you could share?

Furthermore, I seem to have a hard time hitting home runs even in
rookie mode. Even if my team is the Yankees, I need to play small ball
to score. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Hey leo,

Hmmm....A few things here.

First are you using a keyboard or gamepad with analog sticks?
Second If you are using analog sticks, make sure you are mixing up locations
as well. I find it kinda easy to strike the CPU. Make sure you pitching in
corners of the strike zone. <If you are just learning.... keep the strike
zone, pitching cursor and hot/cold zones ON. This will make it easier to
locate pitches>. If you get a strike on the CPU vary the speed on your
pitches again using the corners. When you get two strikes on the CPU, pitch
just outside the strike zone. My favorite out pitches are a slider low away
OUT of the strike zone and a curve ball down the middle almost in the dirt.
Try this and you should have more success striking out the CPU.

Hitting takes time. Use the hitting mini game to help you out, also the
home run hitting contest can help as well. Hitting is timing and reading
pitches. The anlog stick will help you to aim where you want to hit the
ball. Move the stick the left and ball will go left field/third base area.
Again its timing and reading pitches, if you try to hit an outside pitch
with the stick moved over to the left you will probably hit the ball
probably get an out. This goes the same for opposite way too. Good luck.
Let us know how it works out for you.

If you just want to hit home runs, then just move the left analog stick up.
I move it up to the right or left depending on the batter.

--
Jamie

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know
whether you did it or not.
....O.W.

"Leo" <leolim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC for months now and am still
> getting clobbered by the AI. Even in Rookie Mode, the AI still manages
> to hit a few home runs off me. I have mixed up pitches to no avail. Are
> there any pitching tips that you could share?
>
> Furthermore, I seem to have a hard time hitting home runs even in
> rookie mode. Even if my team is the Yankees, I need to play small ball
> to score. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Thank you very much for your tips.

I'm currently using the keyboard. Is it possible to "wing" it using the
keyboard?

By the way, does your tips apply to the Pro, All-Star and MVP levels as
well?

Jamie wrote:

> Hey leo,
>
> Hmmm....A few things here.
>
> First are you using a keyboard or gamepad with analog sticks?
> Second If you are using analog sticks, make sure you are mixing up locations
> as well. I find it kinda easy to strike the CPU. Make sure you pitching in
> corners of the strike zone. <If you are just learning.... keep the strike
> zone, pitching cursor and hot/cold zones ON. This will make it easier to
> locate pitches>. If you get a strike on the CPU vary the speed on your
> pitches again using the corners. When you get two strikes on the CPU, pitch
> just outside the strike zone. My favorite out pitches are a slider low away
> OUT of the strike zone and a curve ball down the middle almost in the dirt.
> Try this and you should have more success striking out the CPU.
>

> Hitting takes time. Use the hitting mini game to help you out, also the
> home run hitting contest can help as well. Hitting is timing and reading
> pitches. The anlog stick will help you to aim where you want to hit the
> ball. Move the stick the left and ball will go left field/third base area.
> Again its timing and reading pitches, if you try to hit an outside pitch
> with the stick moved over to the left you will probably hit the ball
> probably get an out. This goes the same for opposite way too. Good luck.
> Let us know how it works out for you.
>
> If you just want to hit home runs, then just move the left analog stick up.
> I move it up to the right or left depending on the batter.

Agreed. I play as the Brewers in Rookie Mode, and the AI rarely gets
home runs off me. Usually it happens when I biff a pitch, or leave a
pitcher in when he's below 50%. Once in a while the AI gets smart and
small balls me, but on the whole, mix up the pitches and the locations,
and ver the speeds, and you should do fine.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Yeap they apply to all levels. If you can swing it <no pun intended>, go
and buy a gamepad for 20 bucks. I got a Saitek P880 for 20 bucks and it
works great. I can't imagine trying to pitch with the keyboard.

--
Jamie

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know
whether you did it or not.
....O.W.

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats
....Howard Aiken

On 7 Aug 2005 21:22:29 -0700, "Leo" <leolim@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm playing MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC for months now and am still
>getting clobbered by the AI. Even in Rookie Mode, the AI still manages
>to hit a few home runs off me. I have mixed up pitches to no avail. Are
>there any pitching tips that you could share?
>
>Furthermore, I seem to have a hard time hitting home runs even in
>rookie mode. Even if my team is the Yankees, I need to play small ball
>to score. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

A few quick pitching tips. When you're pitching from the same side as
the batter (righty v righty or lefty v lefty), use lots of sliders and
curves because these balls will break away from the batter and be hard
to hit. My favorite pitch to use with a righty v righty is a slider
down and away. Or a high curve that just falls into the strike zone.
You still want to vary it a little, but use a large amount of breaking
balls. Conversely, in a righty v lefty situation, stick mostly to
fast balls and changeups, and avoid breaking balls, except
occasionally to mix things up. A fast ball up and in works well in
these situations.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

On another note, how to you pitch on the outside of the strike zone
using the keyboard?

I tried using the right shift key to select a pitch outside the strike
zone, however, when the pitch was made, the pitch was inside the strike
zone which the AI batter promptly deposited in the outfield for a hit.

When pitching to the outside corners of the strike zone, this is what I
do, I press the key (2nd time) when the meter reaches the lower end of
the brown part of the meter. Is this correct? I notice that everytime I
press the key (2nd time) in the green zone of the meter, the pitch
usually gets hit by the batter. Furthermore, if I press the key (2nd
time) when the meter reaches the lower end of the blue zone to pitch
outside the strike zone, the pitch location is inconsistent, the pitch
may either be in the wheelhouse of the batter or outside the strike
zone.

Please help.

Leo

Thank you very much.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I'm not sure...it's much easier to use a gamepad. :( If you are strapped
for cash, check ebay. Here is rumble pad I found... this is NOT my auction,
but a good deal none the less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5230443148&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

just in case the above link is too long..
http://tinyurl.com/7pvgr

--

> On another note, how to you pitch on the outside of the strike zone
> using the keyboard?
>
> I tried using the right shift key to select a pitch outside the strike
> zone, however, when the pitch was made, the pitch was inside the strike
> zone which the AI batter promptly deposited in the outfield for a hit.
>
> When pitching to the outside corners of the strike zone, this is what I
> do, I press the key (2nd time) when the meter reaches the lower end of
> the brown part of the meter. Is this correct? I notice that everytime I
> press the key (2nd time) in the green zone of the meter, the pitch
> usually gets hit by the batter. Furthermore, if I press the key (2nd
> time) when the meter reaches the lower end of the blue zone to pitch
> outside the strike zone, the pitch location is inconsistent, the pitch
> may either be in the wheelhouse of the batter or outside the strike
> zone.
>
> Please help.
>
> Leo
>
> Thank you very much.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

I relented and bought a Logitech RumblePad 2 Gamepad yesterday which
was the only thing available in my place (Cebu, Philippines). I was
beginning to get the hang of the keyboard though and am winning games
even in Pro mode. However, I can't imagine beating the AI in All-Star
and MVP Levels.

"Leo" <leolim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On another note, how to you pitch on the outside of the strike zone
> using the keyboard?
>
> I tried using the right shift key to select a pitch outside the strike
> zone, however, when the pitch was made, the pitch was inside the strike
> zone which the AI batter promptly deposited in the outfield for a hit.
>
> When pitching to the outside corners of the strike zone, this is what I
> do, I press the key (2nd time) when the meter reaches the lower end of
> the brown part of the meter. Is this correct? I notice that everytime I
> press the key (2nd time) in the green zone of the meter, the pitch
> usually gets hit by the batter. Furthermore, if I press the key (2nd
> time) when the meter reaches the lower end of the blue zone to pitch
> outside the strike zone, the pitch location is inconsistent, the pitch
> may either be in the wheelhouse of the batter or outside the strike
> zone.

Leo, if your a fan of MVP baseball or Madden football, get yourself a
gamepad. I've got the Logitech dual action (USB). I think it set me back
$20. Using it vs the keyboard is night and day. Its similar to the
difference in playing a FPS (shooter) without a mouse and just using the
keyboard.

With a gamepad, you can more easily get your pitches to hit the corners.
The same is true for batting. Hit fly balls to right/left/center field.
Or grounders. Not to mention that its much easier to control baserunners
with a gamepad. All the necessary buttons are there are your finger tips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826127204