Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Multitrack recording with Cool Edit and Audigy 4

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:55:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi. I hope this is the right NG for my question about Audigy 4 Pro and
Cool Edit Pro (OS is Windows XP) of a friend of mine.

With Audigy 4 Pro, six analogue input channels can be used for
multitrack recording and, as a matter of fact, this is possible, for
example, with Cubase LE.

What I don't know is if the same is possible with Cool Edit Pro.

When I try to record with Cool Edit, the audio card looks (via a
driver, I suppose), as "SB Audigy 4 [D800]" wave device, therefore
only one (stereo) input can be selected (with the Windows, or
Creative, mixer), so only two (mono) channels can be recorded.

Thanks.

Luigi
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:55:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"luigi" <luigi@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:D 64v11l4mdq9cl53bgf90irnhdefd2tiu8@4ax.com...
> Hi. I hope this is the right NG for my question about Audigy 4 Pro and
> Cool Edit Pro (OS is Windows XP) of a friend of mine.
>
> With Audigy 4 Pro, six analogue input channels can be used for
> multitrack recording and, as a matter of fact, this is possible, for
> example, with Cubase LE.
>
> What I don't know is if the same is possible with Cool Edit Pro.
>
> When I try to record with Cool Edit, the audio card looks (via a
> driver, I suppose), as "SB Audigy 4 [D800]" wave device, therefore
> only one (stereo) input can be selected (with the Windows, or
> Creative, mixer), so only two (mono) channels can be recorded.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Luigi


i dont like the way cool edit handles channels. in most cases its never
worked at all for me.
so i try to stay clear of the bloody thing.

from what i rmeember it wont work... unless newer versions or high end
versions support multi channels the version i had doesn't.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:09:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In <7yMTd.1599$LF2.184@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net> "Rob Beech"
<Mail@robbeech.com> scrive...

>i dont like the way cool edit handles channels. in most cases its never
>worked at all for me.
>so i try to stay clear of the bloody thing.
>
>from what i rmeember it wont work... unless newer versions or high end
>versions support multi channels the version i had doesn't.

The same the version of my friend.

But, if remember, some versions exist, packaged in bundle with
multichannel cards, that allow multitrack recording. Probably they use
special drivers and the audio card looks as multiple devices.

Ciao.

Luigi
Related resources
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:09:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> The same the version of my friend.
>
> But, if remember, some versions exist, packaged in bundle with
> multichannel cards, that allow multitrack recording. Probably they use
> special drivers and the audio card looks as multiple devices.
>
> Ciao.
>
> Luigi

yes maybe you can get your card to do that somehow... as stereo pairs etc.

I tend to use samplitude for the recording i do. that will handle
multitrack. and is a good piece of software.

Rob
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:15:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"luigi" <luigi@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:D 64v11l4mdq9cl53bgf90irnhdefd2tiu8@4ax.com

> Hi. I hope this is the right NG for my question about Audigy 4 Pro and
> Cool Edit Pro (OS is Windows XP) of a friend of mine.

> With Audigy 4 Pro, six analogue input channels can be used for
> multitrack recording and, as a matter of fact, this is possible, for
> example, with Cubase LE.

> What I don't know is if the same is possible with Cool Edit Pro.

The critical point is how those channels are exposed to recording software.
Audition/CE currently only uses the standard Windows Multimedia audio driver
interfaces, and therefore can only access hardware with appropriate device
drivers.

Any hardware that is *only* supported by ASIO drivers is therefore
inacessible to Audition/CE . There seems to be some possibility that Adobe
will add ASIO support in the near future, but they don't pre-announce new
features.

As always you have to match up the features of hardware and software if you
wish to obtain the desired results.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:43:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"luigi" wrote ...
> Hi. I hope this is the right NG for my question about Audigy 4 Pro and
> Cool Edit Pro (OS is Windows XP) of a friend of mine.
>
> With Audigy 4 Pro, six analogue input channels can be used for
> multitrack recording and, as a matter of fact, this is possible, for
> example, with Cubase LE.
>
> What I don't know is if the same is possible with Cool Edit Pro.
>
> When I try to record with Cool Edit, the audio card looks (via a
> driver, I suppose), as "SB Audigy 4 [D800]" wave device, therefore
> only one (stereo) input can be selected (with the Windows, or
> Creative, mixer), so only two (mono) channels can be recorded.

For several years now, I have been using Cool Edit Pro (and now
Adobe Audition) for recording up to 8 tracks. Never had any
problem with it.

OTOH, I wasn't using Sound Blaster audio cards.
Your expectations of Sound Blaster greatly exceed mine.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:35:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Recently, luigi <luigi@nowhere.com> posted:

> Hi. I hope this is the right NG for my question about Audigy 4 Pro and
> Cool Edit Pro (OS is Windows XP) of a friend of mine.
>
> With Audigy 4 Pro, six analogue input channels can be used for
> multitrack recording and, as a matter of fact, this is possible, for
> example, with Cubase LE.
>
> What I don't know is if the same is possible with Cool Edit Pro.
>
> When I try to record with Cool Edit, the audio card looks (via a
> driver, I suppose), as "SB Audigy 4 [D800]" wave device, therefore
> only one (stereo) input can be selected (with the Windows, or
> Creative, mixer), so only two (mono) channels can be recorded.
>
CEP supports up to 16 channels of simultaneous recording/playback, and I
have no difficulties doing so with an RME HDSP 9652. I don't have an
Audigy, but it sounds like a driver issue to me. Cool Edit Pro doesn't
support ASIO, while Cubase does. That may be a difference that is the
source of your problems.

Regards,

Neil
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In <h9WdnfqeUaz5x73fRVn-2g@comcast.com> "Arny Krueger"
<arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote...

>Any hardware that is *only* supported by ASIO drivers is therefore
>inacessible to Audition/CE . There seems to be some possibility that Adobe
>will add ASIO support in the near future, but they don't pre-announce new
>features.

Thanks for the info.

Ciao.

Luigi
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:13:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In <o2_Td.13402$hU7.3714@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> "Neil Gould"
<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote...

>CEP supports up to 16 channels of simultaneous recording/playback, and I
>have no difficulties doing so with an RME HDSP 9652. I don't have an
>Audigy, but it sounds like a driver issue to me.

To me too.

>Cool Edit Pro doesn't support ASIO, while Cubase does. That may be a
>difference that is the source of your problems.

Thank you.

Ciao.

Luigi


>
>Regards,
>
>Neil
>
>
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:19:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In <11212oo94i9vm6a@corp.supernews.com> "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote...

>For several years now, I have been using Cool Edit Pro (and now
>Adobe Audition) for recording up to 8 tracks. Never had any
>problem with it.
>
>OTOH, I wasn't using Sound Blaster audio cards.
>Your expectations of Sound Blaster greatly exceed mine.

:-)

And my expectations of Cool Edit / Audition probably greatly exceed
yours.

Ciao.

Luigi
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:03:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Go to Option -> device properties -> wave in.
The drop down will display the sound card channel
choices, and supported formats.
Select 'Change' and add the various channels
into "multitrack device preference order"
(in order) that will appear for recording.
Close and reopen the window, and the software.
Now when you right click the track properties will
allow you to select the record input and channel
(stereo/right/left) and bits, etc.

Hope this helps.
rd
!