SprintPCS Bankrupt?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 24, 2004 3:30:47 AM

I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
filing bankrupcy. Anyone else heard this? Our local Sprint PCS store
just closed it's doors last week without any notice. The Radio Shack
clerk said they don't carry Sprint PCS anymore because of the bankrupcy.

Bret

More about : sprintpcs bankrupt

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 3:46:40 AM

>I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
>filing bankrupcy.

They aren't.

Your attempt to start a rumor has officially failed just now!

--
John S.
September 24, 2004 4:02:31 AM

Hmmm... isn't "sprint pcs" really just "Sprint" now? The PCS company
was swallowed up by Sprint again a while back... I don't think Sprint is
filing for bankrupcy and I don't think a division of a company can file
on its own...

John S. wrote:

>>I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
>>filing bankrupcy.
>

> They aren't.
>
> Your attempt to start a rumor has officially failed just now!
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:02:32 AM

"Jim85CJ" <jim_85cj@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm... isn't "sprint pcs" really just "Sprint" now? The PCS company
> was swallowed up by Sprint again a while back... I don't think Sprint is
> filing for bankrupcy and I don't think a division of a company can file
> on its own...

It wasn't swallowed up- it was always a part of Sprint. It simply had its
own tracking stock.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 5:10:00 AM

Well there ya go... no way Sprint PCS can file for bankrupcy...

Scott Stephenson wrote:

> "Jim85CJ" <jim_85cj@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hmmm... isn't "sprint pcs" really just "Sprint" now? The PCS company
>>was swallowed up by Sprint again a while back... I don't think Sprint is
>>filing for bankrupcy and I don't think a division of a company can file
>>on its own...
>

> It wasn't swallowed up- it was always a part of Sprint. It simply had its
> own tracking stock.

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 5:30:51 PM

Bret wrote:
> I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
> filing bankrupcy.

Yeah, looks like your particular RadioShack rep is getting kickbacks
from Verizon Wireless. :)  Sprint is not filing for bankruptcy.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 25, 2004 1:11:38 AM

John S. wrote:
>>I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
>>filing bankrupcy.
>

> They aren't.
>
> Your attempt to start a rumor has officially failed just now!
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
I wasn't trying to start a rumor....I was just curious if anyone knew
anything about this. I doubted that it was true and hoped that someone
here could fill me in.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:50:50 AM

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:42:02 PM

"Bret" <bmr@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> John S. wrote:
> >>I had a sales person at the local Radio Shack tell me that Sprint PCS is
> >>filing bankrupcy.
> >

> > They aren't.
> >
> > Your attempt to start a rumor has officially failed just now!
> >
> > --
> > John S.
> > e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
> I wasn't trying to start a rumor....I was just curious if anyone knew
> anything about this. I doubted that it was true and hoped that someone
> here could fill me in.

In the future, a little bit of your own research before posting, will save
you from wiping the egg off your face. In this case, you could have looked
over the stock news for FON and noticed there was no mention of bankruptcy.

Bob
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:51:58 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Perhaps you are in an affiliate market and your local affiliate is
> filing for bankruptcy.

Unlikely. There hasn't been any of that for over a year. Even so, the
wording of those affiliate agreements tends to be along the lines of "if
you go bankrupt, we get to step in and operate your network for you, and
get first crack at buying out your assets at below market value." I'm
not sure how ironclad that agreement is, but considering Sprint, and not
the affiliates, own the licenses, it's not a stretch to think that
Sprint would make sure service would continue somehow.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 27, 2004 1:55:46 PM

Bob Smith wrote:

> In the future, a little bit of your own research before posting, will save
> you from wiping the egg off your face. In this case, you could have looked
> over the stock news for FON and noticed there was no mention of bankruptcy.

It actually seems like among the former "Big Three" (AT&T, Worldcom/MCI,
and Sprint), Sprint *seems* to be in the best of shape. The other have
rumors dogging them of being bought out by an ILEC. And I *knew* AT&T
screwed up big time by selling off its wireless and cable, and MCI as
well for having only SkyTel as their last, best hope for wireless.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 27, 2004 10:50:34 PM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> It actually seems like among the former "Big Three" (AT&T, Worldcom/MCI,
> and Sprint), Sprint *seems* to be in the best of shape. The other have
> rumors dogging them of being bought out by an ILEC. And I *knew* AT&T
> screwed up big time by selling off its wireless and cable, and MCI as
> well for having only SkyTel as their last, best hope for wireless.

SkyTel (great service when I used it, but rather pricey compared to
PageNet/Arch) was always MCI's only hope for wireless. They never owned a
cellular network, and manage to defraud enough customers that I doubt they'd be
successful ever launching another wireless service, ever again.

September 29, 2004 2:38:16 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Isaiah Beard wrote:

> SkyTel (great service when I used it, but rather pricey compared to
> PageNet/Arch) was always MCI's only hope for wireless. They never owned
> a cellular network, and manage to defraud enough customers that I doubt
> they'd be successful ever launching another wireless service, ever again.

True, I had SkyTel too, started out with their two-way pager service.
The two-way service was a bit spotty but adequate most of the time, and
the promise that things would get better as SkyTel built out the network
gave me hope.

Then Worldcom bought SkyTel, and has built out th network by a SINGLE
transmitter since. Six months after, I was done with SkyTel. They had
the opportunity to be just as big as Blackberry, but with a network that
is only partially two-way part of the time, it could never happen.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 29, 2004 7:02:24 PM

If you didn't have sprint stock, you miss a big time. Sprint FON stock jump
higher these days.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FON

!