Wireless speed less then a third

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Im within 25 feet of my wireless router on my desktop with an alfa AWUS036H and my download speeds are cut to about a little less than a third of my dload speed but my laptop is at about 15% of my speed even in front of router! Upload speeds are about the same.

according to alfa wireless tool on desktop they jump from
signal strength is within mid 90s to 100
link qualityfrom 60s to 90

Router in other room is wrt54g, running ddwrt, and distance or moving around does not make a difference.

I have no idea what to do and if theres some sort of setting in ddwrt that can cause this or if its router issue, hope someone can help I moved a round a lot of stuff to get my desktop to another room!

RealBeast

Titan
I would take a look for radio interference, are the two wireless radios using non-overlapping different channels (1, 6, and 11) and are there any other nearby wireless radios (like neighbor routers)? Download and install INSSIDER on a computer that has a wireless adapter and take a look at the 2.4GHz band for signals and strength by channel in your network area.

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

Thanks im at a loss though, I have no other wireless items active when i check speed and i downloaded application and for common channels theres around 5+ for 1 and 6 and about 3 for 11.
My actual speeds are actually much worse then i first mentioned. I get 25Mbps directly and with wireless on laptop and adapter most i have achieved is 13 Mbps and i have tried a variety of channels sometimes it hits that fast others it hits much lower. in subsequent attempts and I have tried in different locations.

RealBeast

Titan
That is a lot of radio interference if you see that many other networks, which will definitely slow your network and you have really no way to fix it, you would be a good candidate for 5GHz wireless.

If you want to try to make 2.4GHz work I would use a different channel that is as far from the higher strength channels as you can get with as little area of overlap with your signal as you can find, maybe try 8 or 9 to start and look at it with inSSIDer. Even though there will be interference still it may be lowered enough to help your speeds.