European Computer Components

BMWbiker7

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I have a friend who lives in Germany that I would like to purchase a video card for, but I want to make sure that any video card that I buy in the States would be compatable. In the old days (Commodore 64 era) when I lived in Germany we mainly had concerns with the difference in voltage (110 vs. 220/240) and NTSC vs PAL. I would assume that all PC components are created equal now and that his power supply simply converts 220/240 to the standard +/- 5 and 12 volts used by PCs. I don't believe that there is a problem with PC video cards and the television standards (PAL and NTSC).

If anyone knows if the components are compatible I sure would appreciate your help.

Johnny

Computers are great, but motorcycles are the best!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
When voltage should be no probem but the NTSC and PAL standard do matter unless the video card you want to purchase doesn't come with any TV in/out or video in/out or your friend will not use these features because these I/O features are controlled by the on board TV tuner chipset which has specific standard so your NTSC card can't be used on PAL TV or Video.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.