connecting a laptop -- current advice?

From reading past traffic in this newsgroup, I think I mostly
understand this issue, but I wanted to find out if anything's
changed, and clarify a few points.

As I understand it, if I want to connect my laptop to a Sprint
cell phone and make "data" or "modem" calls, I have two or three

1a. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow (Sprint no longer
sells them) and pay 0.01 per kilobyte or something.

1b. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow, and pay $15/month
for a Vision plan.

2. Obtain a "Sprint PCS Connection" PCMCIA card and pay at least
$40/month for a separate Vision plan for it.

I don't expect to use Sprint as my primary internet access for my
laptop; this will be for occasional use (say, 100-200 minutes per
month, or 10 megabytes transferred per month). I really don't
feel like paying $40/month for this; $40/month feels like primary
internet access, and I have some doubts that the Connection card
is supported or would would work with my laptop and OS (older Mac
PowerBook, running Linux) at all.

Questions:

Are the above 2/3 options still accurate? Is it still the case
that options 1a and 1b are not according to the Terms of Service,
and can cause you to get cut off if you "abuse" them by exceeding
some unstated bandwidth limit?

What's the "a la carte" rate for option 1a, and does it refer to
kilobytes transferred, or what? When Sprint's brochure says that
the `Sprint PCS Vision for Sprint PCS Connection cards' service
costs $40/month for 20MB, $60/month for 40MB, and $80/month for
300MB, what do those MB numbers mean?

Does a $15/month Vision plan really secretly buy you data cable
access? The current brochure talks mostly about picture phone use,
SMS messages, ringer downloads, etc.

How hard is it to find third-party cables, or used cables on
eBay, at a reasonable price? I gather that the going rate for
data cables from the phone manufacturers is something like $70,
but this is highway robbery abetted by the connector conspiracy,
which I refuse to pay. (The phone I expect to get is a
Sanyo (?) RL 7300.)

How hard is it to find and install the necessary software
(drivers, etc.) and get the networking actually working?
I do *not* have a Windows PC; I have an older (but USB- and
FireWire-capable) Mac PowerBook which I would want to connect
to the net using either OS X or Linux (or preferably both).

Finally, what's the current TOS status of options 1a and 1b?
Still officially disallowed, but tolerated? Any port
restrictions that anyone has discovered? Anybody been busted
for (ab)using it lately?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions anyone can provide.

Steve Summit
scs@eskimo.com
22 answers Last reply
More about connecting laptop current advice

    "Steve Summit" <scs@eskimo.com> wrote in message
    > From reading past traffic in this newsgroup, I think I mostly
    > understand this issue, but I wanted to find out if anything's
    > changed, and clarify a few points.
    >
    > As I understand it, if I want to connect my laptop to a Sprint
    > cell phone and make "data" or "modem" calls, I have two or three
    >
    > 1a. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow (Sprint no longer
    > sells them) and pay 0.01 per kilobyte or something.

    That's about it on this option. If you are looking at the Sanyo 7300, I
    believe the same cable that fits the 4900, 4920, 5300, etc, will fit the
    7300. Radio Shack has these cables for $20. You can also check
    Futuredial.com, Susteen.com or rpiwireless.com. As for the drivers,
    futuredial.com has these available at no charge.

    > 1b. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow, and pay $15/month
    > for a Vision plan.

    Same as above.

    > 2. Obtain a "Sprint PCS Connection" PCMCIA card and pay at least
    > $40/month for a separate Vision plan for it.

    Yes, but it's expensive, as you've mentioned below, plus you have the
    expense of the PCMCIA card as well.

    > I don't expect to use Sprint as my primary internet access for my
    > laptop; this will be for occasional use (say, 100-200 minutes per
    > month, or 10 megabytes transferred per month). I really don't
    > feel like paying $40/month for this; $40/month feels like primary
    > internet access, and I have some doubts that the Connection card
    > is supported or would would work with my laptop and OS (older Mac
    > PowerBook, running Linux) at all.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > Are the above 2/3 options still accurate? Is it still the case
    > that options 1a and 1b are not according to the Terms of Service,
    > and can cause you to get cut off if you "abuse" them by exceeding
    > some unstated bandwidth limit?

    They can, if you are trying to replace your ISP service with Vision. In
    saying that, there are a lot of us that do have Vision on our account, and
    connect via tethered to our laptops on a limited basis.

    > What's the "a la carte" rate for option 1a, and does it refer to
    > kilobytes transferred, or what? When Sprint's brochure says that
    > the `Sprint PCS Vision for Sprint PCS Connection cards' service
    > costs $40/month for 20MB, $60/month for 40MB, and $80/month for
    > 300MB, what do those MB numbers mean?

    Megabytes ... 1 Meg = 1000 Kilobytes.

    > Does a $15/month Vision plan really secretly buy you data cable
    > access? The current brochure talks mostly about picture phone use,
    > SMS messages, ringer downloads, etc.

    Yes and no. When SPCS first brought out WW, they were promoting it with
    using it with a USB cable. After a few months, they changed their minds.

    > How hard is it to find third-party cables, or used cables on
    > eBay, at a reasonable price? I gather that the going rate for
    > data cables from the phone manufacturers is something like $70,
    > but this is highway robbery abetted by the connector conspiracy,
    > which I refuse to pay. (The phone I expect to get is a
    > Sanyo (?) RL 7300.)

    Don't have a clue where you are getting the $70 figure. The cable can be had
    for $20, and possibly less on line.

    > How hard is it to find and install the necessary software
    > (drivers, etc.) and get the networking actually working?
    > I do *not* have a Windows PC; I have an older (but USB- and
    > FireWire-capable) Mac PowerBook which I would want to connect
    > to the net using either OS X or Linux (or preferably both).

    Not hard at all, at least for a Windows set up. Don't have a clue what's
    involved in setting up a new dial up for an Apple or Linux set up.

    > Finally, what's the current TOS status of options 1a and 1b?

    On 1a, no problem. You just get billed $0.01 per 1KB uploaded or downloaded
    through the phone.

    > Still officially disallowed, but tolerated? Any port
    > restrictions that anyone has discovered? Anybody been busted
    > for (ab)using it lately?

    You mean 1b? If so, no, not as posted here. Keep in mind though, that those
    of use who do connect via our laptops are only on for short periods of time
    during the week, maybe 15 min. to an hour, and not doing large downloads.

    Bob

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    >> to the net using either OS X or Linux (or preferably both).
    >
    > Not hard at all, at least for a Windows set up. Don't have a clue what's
    > involved in setting up a new dial up for an Apple or Linux set up.
    >
    >> Finally, what's the current TOS status of options 1a and 1b?
    >
    > On 1a, no problem. You just get billed $0.01 per 1KB uploaded or
    > downloaded
    > through the phone.
    >
    >> Still officially disallowed, but tolerated? Any port
    >> restrictions that anyone has discovered? Anybody been busted
    >> for (ab)using it lately?
    >
    > You mean 1b? If so, no, not as posted here. Keep in mind though, that
    > those
    > of use who do connect via our laptops are only on for short periods of
    > time
    > during the week, maybe 15 min. to an hour, and not doing large downloads.

    He should also realize that legally, Sprint doesn't allow using a
    phone/cable/Vision combo for accessing the internet on a computer, even
    though technically, they don't prevent it as of yet. My understanding (and
    experience) is that as long as you limit such access, they're not going to
    go after you, and it's ok for occasional use. But only with the realization
    that it's not with Sprint's approval, and there is always the chance,
    however remote, that they'll go after even casual "abusers" of this policy,
    or disable this capability entirely, simply because it's within their legal
    right to do so at present. Just making sure this is clear.

    --
    Kovie
    kovie@earthlink.netizen

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > "Steve Summit" <scs@eskimo.com> wrote in message
    >> From reading past traffic in this newsgroup, I think I mostly
    >> understand this issue, but I wanted to find out if anything's
    >> changed, and clarify a few points.
    >>
    >> As I understand it, if I want to connect my laptop to a Sprint
    >> cell phone and make "data" or "modem" calls, I have two or three
    >>
    >> 1a. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow (Sprint no longer
    >> sells them) and pay 0.01 per kilobyte or something.
    >
    > That's about it on this option. If you are looking at the Sanyo 7300,
    > I believe the same cable that fits the 4900, 4920, 5300, etc, will fit
    > the 7300. Radio Shack has these cables for $20. You can also check
    > Futuredial.com, Susteen.com or rpiwireless.com. As for the drivers,
    > futuredial.com has these available at no charge.
    >

    >> 1b. Obtain a cable and driver software somehow, and pay $15/month
    >> for a Vision plan.
    >
    > Same as above.

    [SNIP]
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> Are the above 2/3 options still accurate? Is it still the case
    >> that options 1a and 1b are not according to the Terms of Service,
    >> and can cause you to get cut off if you "abuse" them by exceeding
    >> some unstated bandwidth limit?
    >
    > They can, if you are trying to replace your ISP service with Vision.
    > In saying that, there are a lot of us that do have Vision on our
    > account, and connect via tethered to our laptops on a limited basis.

    [SNIP]
    >> How hard is it to find and install the necessary software
    >> (drivers, etc.) and get the networking actually working?
    >> I do *not* have a Windows PC; I have an older (but USB- and
    >> FireWire-capable) Mac PowerBook which I would want to connect
    >> to the net using either OS X or Linux (or preferably both).
    >
    > Not hard at all, at least for a Windows set up. Don't have a clue
    > what's involved in setting up a new dial up for an Apple or Linux set
    > up.

    My Mac OS X laptop sees the USB cbale natively and all I need do is
    enter #777 to make a connection. Easier than with XP actually for my
    N400 phone.

    >> Finally, what's the current TOS status of options 1a and 1b?
    >
    > On 1a, no problem. You just get billed $0.01 per 1KB uploaded or
    > downloaded through the phone.
    >
    >> Still officially disallowed, but tolerated? Any port
    >> restrictions that anyone has discovered? Anybody been busted
    >> for (ab)using it lately?
    >
    > You mean 1b? If so, no, not as posted here. Keep in mind though, that
    > those of use who do connect via our laptops are only on for short
    > periods of time during the week, maybe 15 min. to an hour, and not
    > doing large downloads.

    I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    hour total online time for the entire month.

    SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    The second time they only reduced the charges.

    So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:43:08 +0000, Kovie wrote:

    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    > He should also realize that legally, Sprint doesn't allow using a
    > phone/cable/Vision combo for accessing the internet on a computer, even
    > though technically, they don't prevent it as of yet. My understanding (and
    > experience) is that as long as you limit such access, they're not going to
    > go after you, and it's ok for occasional use. But only with the realization
    > that it's not with Sprint's approval, and there is always the chance,
    > however remote, that they'll go after even casual "abusers" of this policy,
    > or disable this capability entirely, simply because it's within their legal
    > right to do so at present. Just making sure this is clear.

    And your understanding is warranted. When I first signed up for vision,
    around 2yrs ago in oct?, it was promoted by the sales rep for tethered
    laptop usage. I even grilled him on it since at the time I was using
    another provider for dialup/service notifications via email. Even the reps
    I spoke with on the phone gave it the blessing, I'm sure a search of
    google news will find the old Usenet postings of people who experienced
    this. Then around December their attitude changed from "yes no problem" to
    "well for limited use". This also was around the time when they pulled the
    connection kits from store shelves. Of course when I called to find out
    more all I got was, "we have been told only for limited use but we have
    not been told what that limit is...". Anyway I signed up for sprintpcs
    solely for this purpose and have been using it for mobile/remote admin
    access along with my voice plan. Luckily I haven't been questioned about
    my usage but 800MB over three years is alittle less then a MB of day so I
    would hope that falls into the limited use plan.

    It is a shame they changed their policy, mostly due to abuse, since it is
    a great data service(public ip and little port issues) not to mention that
    I have been able to use it going 70mph down an interstate without
    disconnect. If they do decided to completely cut users off verizon's per
    min data plan options, although more expensive and eats out of your minute
    bucket, is always an alternative and at least when I called them about it
    in feb had no problem answering my questions about laptop usage.

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 +0000, Steph wrote:

    > I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    > and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    > billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    > for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    > hour total online time for the entire month.
    >
    > SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    > The second time they only reduced the charges.
    >
    > So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    > tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    > given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    > I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.

    Well did they state it was because you broke their acceptable use policy?
    There has been countless users who have had issues with sprintpcs vision
    on multiple phones (add a phone mostly) where one was seen as having
    vision and the other was not. Since they let you keep getting on without
    the per KB billing on some months that would seem that it was more an
    account error, why would you let an abusive user go back to abusing the
    unlimited plan?, then you violating a vision usage policy. If that was the
    case you shouldn't have been charged at all. There are a few unknowns
    about your setup so of course I could be looking at it wrong.

    I have used my vision capable phone for the last three years at around
    800-900MBs of transfer(under or near 1MB a day) without even so much a
    question from customer service or a bill(Knock on wood). I do not feel I'm
    abusing their limited and I'm sure other users could share similar stories.
    Also while I'm on the subject has anyone noticed that *4 now has a better
    handling of data in regards to unlimited plans? It used to say data usage
    was unavailable but now mentions that it is unlimited and has a format for
    expressing how much has been used, which it doesn't yet.

    It could have been an hour or ten hours, the charge for that month
    would have been the same, since it is billed by the KB.

    Steph wrote:
> [...]
    >>periods of time during the week, maybe 15 min. to an hour, and not
    >>doing large downloads.
    >>

    > I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    > and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    > billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    > for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    > hour total online time for the entire month.
    >
    > SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    > The second time they only reduced the charges.
    >
    > So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    > tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    > given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    > I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.

    The point is that he has an unlimited Vision plan where kb charges should
    not apply. He was asking whether Sprint now charges per kb for non-phone
    internet access even for people with such plans. And if so, do they state
    this anywhere.

    --
    Kovie
    kovie@earthlink.netizen

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > It could have been an hour or ten hours, the charge for that month
    > would have been the same, since it is billed by the KB.
    >

    > Steph wrote:
    >> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in
    >>>"Steve Summit" <scs@eskimo.com> wrote in message

    >>>That's about it on this option. If you are looking at the Sanyo 7300,
    >>>I believe the same cable that fits the 4900, 4920, 5300, etc, will fit
    >>>the 7300. Radio Shack has these cables for $20. You can also check
    >>>Futuredial.com, Susteen.com or rpiwireless.com. As for the drivers,
    >>>futuredial.com has these available at no charge.

    >>>Same as above.
    >>>

    >> [SNIP]

    >>>They can, if you are trying to replace your ISP service with Vision.
    >>>In saying that, there are a lot of us that do have Vision on our
    >>>account, and connect via tethered to our laptops on a limited basis.
    >>>

    >> [SNIP]

    >>>Not hard at all, at least for a Windows set up. Don't have a clue
    >>>what's involved in setting up a new dial up for an Apple or Linux set
    >>>up.
    >>

    >> My Mac OS X laptop sees the USB cbale natively and all I need do is enter
    >> #777 to make a connection. Easier than with XP actually for my N400
    >> phone.

    >>>On 1a, no problem. You just get billed $0.01 per 1KB uploaded or
    >>>downloaded through the phone.

    >>>You mean 1b? If so, no, not as posted here. Keep in mind though, that
    >>>those of use who do connect via our laptops are only on for short
    >>>periods of time during the week, maybe 15 min. to an hour, and not
    >>>doing large downloads.
    >>

    >> I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    >> and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    >> billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it for
    >> checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an hour
    >> total online time for the entire month.
    >>
    >> SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    >> The second time they only reduced the charges. So I am very confused
    >> about who and how are able to use their laptops tethered through the
    >> phone without incurring big charges. I think that given the plan I have
    >> it should allow for a megabyte of data per month - I just haven't had the
    >> strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 GMT,

    >I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    >and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    >billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    >for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    >hour total online time for the entire month.
    >
    >SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    >The second time they only reduced the charges.
    >
    >So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    >tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    >given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    >I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.

    For what it's worth,
    From posted info garnered from this and some other postings,
    plus my own usages experiences, the "secret" of getting away
    with using SPCS Vision, that is, ONLY being charged for
    minutes-usage is possibly this:

    1) DO NOT actually sign up for SPCS Vision. (I do have the
    $5/mo Wireless Web option on my Fair & Flex America plan)

    2) DO NOT use a laptop wireless data card.

    3) INSTEAD, use your Vison-capable cell phone as a wireless
    interface "modem" cabled to your laptop with suitable driver
    software.

    4) Dial up the #777 and your Vision-capable phone will
    display those parallel up/down arrows.

    5) ABSOLUTELY, do not abuse this by doing "excessive" data
    downloads and uploads, & some lucky and logical guessing as
    to actually very limiting your online time and sessions per
    month.

    For example, in my own case, when occasionally traveling or
    if at home with the A.C. power knocked out for several days
    due to hurricanes, I use my LG-5350 with a USB cable, &
    laptop with Win2k Pro.

    Dialing #777, the Vision connection up/down arrows appear on
    the phone's screen. (This has been observed as being
    noticeably faster than regular ultra pokey Wireless Web.)

    On the laptop, with booted-up e-mail client, portfolio
    updater, and a browser, I then download the e-mail, download
    investment portfolio updates, & observe a couple of online
    banking statements,

    Then, I disconnect, read the e-mail, input any replies,
    compose any new e-mails.

    I then reconnect briefly to upload any new outgoing
    e-mails.

    I.E., when doing these online Vision sessions, there are no
    long sessions of casual Web browsing, nor Kazaa downloads
    for example.
    ---Juan
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Juan Pablo" <jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 GMT,
    > >
    > >I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    > >and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    > >billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    > >for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    > >hour total online time for the entire month.
    > >
    > >SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    > >The second time they only reduced the charges.
    > >
    > >So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    > >tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    > >given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    > >I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.
    > >
    > For what it's worth,
    > From posted info garnered from this and some other postings,
    > plus my own usages experiences, the "secret" of getting away
    > with using SPCS Vision, that is, ONLY being charged for
    > minutes-usage is possibly this:
    >
    > 1) DO NOT actually sign up for SPCS Vision. (I do have the
    > $5/mo Wireless Web option on my Fair & Flex America plan)
    >
    > 2) DO NOT use a laptop wireless data card.
    >
    > 3) INSTEAD, use your Vison-capable cell phone as a wireless
    > interface "modem" cabled to your laptop with suitable driver
    > software.
    >
    > 4) Dial up the #777 and your Vision-capable phone will
    > display those parallel up/down arrows.
    >
    > 5) ABSOLUTELY, do not abuse this by doing "excessive" data
    > downloads and uploads, & some lucky and logical guessing as
    > to actually very limiting your online time and sessions per
    > month.
    >
    > For example, in my own case, when occasionally traveling or
    > if at home with the A.C. power knocked out for several days
    > due to hurricanes, I use my LG-5350 with a USB cable, &
    > laptop with Win2k Pro.
    >
    > Dialing #777, the Vision connection up/down arrows appear on
    > the phone's screen. (This has been observed as being
    > noticeably faster than regular ultra pokey Wireless Web.)
    >
    > On the laptop, with booted-up e-mail client, portfolio
    > updater, and a browser, I then download the e-mail, download
    > investment portfolio updates, & observe a couple of online
    > banking statements,
    >
    > Then, I disconnect, read the e-mail, input any replies,
    > compose any new e-mails.
    >
    > I then reconnect briefly to upload any new outgoing
    > e-mails.
    >
    > I.E., when doing these online Vision sessions, there are no
    > long sessions of casual Web browsing, nor Kazaa downloads
    > for example.
    > ---Juan

    Juan, are you saying that your 2G phone can access Vision's 3G protocol and
    get higher than 14.4K speeds?

    Bob
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    The unlimited Vision is for data on the phone. What I think he was
    asking about, was for data on a laptop through a phone, which is charged
    by the KB. Yes they state very clearly that the unlimited Vision is for
    on phone use only.

    Kovie wrote:
    > The point is that he has an unlimited Vision plan where kb charges should
    > not apply. He was asking whether Sprint now charges per kb for non-phone
    > internet access even for people with such plans. And if so, do they state
    > this anywhere.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:40:13 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Juan Pablo" <jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 GMT,
    >> >
    >> >I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    >> >and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    >> >billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    >> >for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    >> >hour total online time for the entire month.
    >> >
    >> >SPCS CS took off the charges the first time they billed it.
    >> >The second time they only reduced the charges.
    >> >
    >> >So I am very confused about who and how are able to use their laptops
    >> >tethered through the phone without incurring big charges. I think that
    >> >given the plan I have it should allow for a megabyte of data per month -
    >> >I just haven't had the strength to follow through with anyone at SPCS.
    >> >
    >> For what it's worth,
    >> From posted info garnered from this and some other postings,
    >> plus my own usages experiences, the "secret" of getting away
    >> with using SPCS Vision, that is, ONLY being charged for
    >> minutes-usage is possibly this:
    >>
    >> 1) DO NOT actually sign up for SPCS Vision. (I do have the
    >> $5/mo Wireless Web option on my Fair & Flex America plan)
    >>
    >> 2) DO NOT use a laptop wireless data card.
    >>
    >> 3) INSTEAD, use your Vison-capable cell phone as a wireless
    >> interface "modem" cabled to your laptop with suitable driver
    >> software.
    >>
    >> 4) Dial up the #777 and your Vision-capable phone will
    >> display those parallel up/down arrows.
    >>
    >> 5) ABSOLUTELY, do not abuse this by doing "excessive" data
    >> downloads and uploads, & some lucky and logical guessing as
    >> to actually very limiting your online time and sessions per
    >> month.
    >>
    >> For example, in my own case, when occasionally traveling or
    >> if at home with the A.C. power knocked out for several days
    >> due to hurricanes, I use my LG-5350 with a USB cable, &
    >> laptop with Win2k Pro.
    >>
    >> Dialing #777, the Vision connection up/down arrows appear on
    >> the phone's screen. (This has been observed as being
    >> noticeably faster than regular ultra pokey Wireless Web.)
    >>
    >> On the laptop, with booted-up e-mail client, portfolio
    >> updater, and a browser, I then download the e-mail, download
    >> investment portfolio updates, & observe a couple of online
    >> banking statements,
    >>
    >> Then, I disconnect, read the e-mail, input any replies,
    >> compose any new e-mails.
    >>
    >> I then reconnect briefly to upload any new outgoing
    >> e-mails.
    >>
    >> I.E., when doing these online Vision sessions, there are no
    >> long sessions of casual Web browsing, nor Kazaa downloads
    >> for example.
    >> ---Juan
    >
    >Juan, are you saying that your 2G phone can access Vision's 3G protocol and
    >get higher than 14.4K speeds?
    >
    >Bob

    Bob,
    Yes, the LG-5350 is a 3G phone; both the manual and the
    nearby Sprint PCS Store state that fact.
    Perhaps you were thinking of the slightly older LG-5150 and
    5250 models that were only 2G capable.

    There is also, or used to be available, an optional small LG
    plug-in camera module for it. (I never obtained that camera
    module.) Hope that helps. ---Juan
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I guess I'm not understanding something here. Sprint specifically states in
    their TOS that you can't use a phone to connect a computer to the internet
    via a cable. Although this is technically still possible, and was for a time
    even allowed, Sprint no longer allows this, and reserves the right to take
    action against anyone who tries to do this, although in practice they only
    do this for serious abusers. In any case, though, it's forbidden to do this,
    so how could they charge for it if it's not allowed? Or has Sprint recently
    changed its policy yet again, once again allowing non-phone Vision use, but
    charging per kb, regardless of whether the plan includes Vision?

    --

    > The unlimited Vision is for data on the phone. What I think he was asking
    > about, was for data on a laptop through a phone, which is charged by the
    > KB. Yes they state very clearly that the unlimited Vision is for on phone
    > use only.
    >

    > Kovie wrote:
    >> The point is that he has an unlimited Vision plan where kb charges should
    >> not apply. He was asking whether Sprint now charges per kb for non-phone
    >> internet access even for people with such plans. And if so, do they state
    >> this anywhere.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Juan Pablo" <jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    <snipped>
    > Bob,
    > Yes, the LG-5350 is a 3G phone; both the manual and the
    > nearby Sprint PCS Store state that fact.
    > Perhaps you were thinking of the slightly older LG-5150 and
    > 5250 models that were only 2G capable.
    >
    > There is also, or used to be available, an optional small LG
    > plug-in camera module for it. (I never obtained that camera
    > module.) Hope that helps. ---Juan

    Thanks for the clarification then. This brings up another point. If you have
    Wireless Web on your 3G phone, then it sounds like a mistake with SPCS's
    coding. I'm guessing you started off with SPCS with a prior 2G phone, had
    the WW option on your phone, then bought your LG and did an ESN change?

    Bob
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <uujll0do034qr1dno96mpgsfg7nmkk39e5@4ax.com>, jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net wrote:
    >On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 GMT,
    >>
    >>I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    >>and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    >>billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    >>for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    >>hour total online time for the entire month.

    >1) DO NOT actually sign up for SPCS Vision. (I do have the
    >$5/mo Wireless Web option on my Fair & Flex America plan)

    Perhaps what is going on here is that you have a 3G phone but WW on your
    plan rather than Vision. If you then use WW (maybe even Vision), you may
    be charged $0.39/min EVEN if you think you should be covered under WW.
    This is a known Sprint billing flaw that will never be fixed. You should
    remove WW from your plan.

    It also sounds like you should sign up for Vision, but if you're willing to
    live with the $0.01/kb rate then fine.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Central <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in

    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:43:08 +0000, Kovie wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> He should also realize that legally, Sprint doesn't allow using a
    >> phone/cable/Vision combo for accessing the internet on a computer,
    >> even though technically, they don't prevent it as of yet. My
    >> understanding (and experience) is that as long as you limit such
    >> access, they're not going to go after you, and it's ok for occasional
    >> use. But only with the realization that it's not with Sprint's
    >> approval, and there is always the chance, however remote, that
    >> they'll go after even casual "abusers" of this policy, or disable
    >> this capability entirely, simply because it's within their legal
    >> right to do so at present. Just making sure this is clear.
    >
    > And your understanding is warranted. When I first signed up for
    > vision, around 2yrs ago in oct?, it was promoted by the sales rep for
    > tethered laptop usage. I even grilled him on it since at the time I
    > was using another provider for dialup/service notifications via email.
    > Even the reps I spoke with on the phone gave it the blessing, I'm sure
    > a search of google news will find the old Usenet postings of people
    > who experienced this. Then around December their attitude changed from
    > "yes no problem" to "well for limited use". This also was around the
    > time when they pulled the connection kits from store shelves. Of
    > course when I called to find out more all I got was, "we have been
    > told only for limited use but we have not been told what that limit
    > is...". Anyway I signed up for sprintpcs solely for this purpose and
    > have been using it for mobile/remote admin access along with my voice
    > plan. Luckily I haven't been questioned about my usage but 800MB over
    > three years is alittle less then a MB of day so I would hope that
    > falls into the limited use plan.
    >
    > It is a shame they changed their policy, mostly due to abuse, since it
    > is a great data service(public ip and little port issues) not to
    > mention that I have been able to use it going 70mph down an interstate
    > without disconnect. If they do decided to completely cut users off
    > verizon's per min data plan options, although more expensive and eats
    > out of your minute bucket, is always an alternative and at least when
    > I called them about it in feb had no problem answering my questions
    > about laptop usage.

    Your experience matches mine a LOT, except I now get billed for phone-
    laptop tethered use on either of my unlimited Vison phones.
    Same as you one advantage and reason behind getting the $100/mo
    unlimited vision plan, was the free add-a-phone with vision offering
    and advertised ability to use a laptop via cable to the phone.

    My wife and I used it very sparsely and only while travelling; though I
    fear she used more on-lien time than I becuase she used a web-mail
    service rather than POP'ing the mail off. Either way I really don't
    think we abused it.

    Then we started to get billed for each increment (kb I assume). When I
    phoned to complain I was first told we didn't have unlimited vision,
    then it didn't allow for data, and on and on. I wish I had the original
    advertising literature -- becuase it specifically did state you could
    use it with your laptop.

    In my mind this is a breach of contract on Sprint's end and I told them
    so. Not withstanding my 8 year relationship with them as a pioneer
    customer, if I sign a 2 year contract that offerred services, they
    cannot revoke the services or modify the pricing without letting me out
    of the contract.

    They were good enough to take off the charges, but no more. And so I put
    the data cable in the drawer waiting to fight another day.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:17:30 +0000, Steph wrote:
    <snip>
    > Then we started to get billed for each increment (kb I assume). When I
    > phoned to complain I was first told we didn't have unlimited vision,
    > then it didn't allow for data, and on and on. I wish I had the original
    > advertising literature -- becuase it specifically did state you could
    > use it with your laptop.

    <snip>

    So it is as I thought, I asked about it in another post to you, they
    are not charging you for abuse just claiming you don't have vision
    service. Which sadly is another sprintpcs billing blunder. They have good
    service and I am very happy with them for the price but I do dread dealing
    with their customer service to fix billing mistakes. Sometimes you get
    people who have common sense and can help you but other times you get
    someone who could not care less about your problems.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:09:59 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Juan Pablo" <jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    ><snipped>
    >> Bob,
    >> Yes, the LG-5350 is a 3G phone; both the manual and the
    >> nearby Sprint PCS Store state that fact.
    >> Perhaps you were thinking of the slightly older LG-5150 and
    >> 5250 models that were only 2G capable.
    >>
    >> There is also, or used to be available, an optional small LG
    >> plug-in camera module for it. (I never obtained that camera
    >> module.) Hope that helps. ---Juan
    >
    >Thanks for the clarification then. This brings up another point. If you have
    >Wireless Web on your 3G phone, then it sounds like a mistake with SPCS's
    >coding. I'm guessing you started off with SPCS with a prior 2G phone, had
    >the WW option on your phone, then bought your LG and did an ESN change?
    >
    >Bob

    Bob:
    You may be correct about all that.
    The LG-5350 is my 2nd SPCS phone.
    The 1st SPCS phone was the 2G Samsung 3500, about 5 years
    ago. I originally got Wireless Web about 3 years ago using
    that 1st SPCS phone.
    WW sort of defaulted to being "self limiting" for excessive
    usage because WW is extremely slow.
    I've had this LG-5350 about 1.5 years now, & had continued
    to use it occasionally with WW.
    It was only about 6 weeks ago, decided to dial up #777 just
    for the heck of it, which "stumbled" me into the so-called
    Vision usage via the phone, USB cable & laptop combo.

    As an aside, while lately observing (while not actually
    posting anything) the Verizon newsgroup, it appears to me
    that Verizon may be actually stating & allowing 3G via a
    tethered phone-cable-laptop combo.
    If so, IMHO perhaps SPCS should start officially considering
    that type of 3G service in addition to the now 3G
    "teenagers" Vision of sending only 3G Photos and text.

    Overall Sprint & Sprint PCS are the telephone communications
    inovators. Perhaps they have something else up their
    sleeves such as having near-future SPCS phones ALSO be Wi-Fi
    capable for possible near-future SPCS Wi-Fi hot spots.
    ---Juan
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:38:49 GMT, dantso@yahoo.com (Daniel
    Tso) wrote:

    >In article <uujll0do034qr1dno96mpgsfg7nmkk39e5@4ax.com>, jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net wrote:
    >>On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:19:00 GMT,
    >>>
    >>>I have a $100/mo vision plan with "unlimited vision" on both handsets -
    >>>and obviously two numbers on the plan. After a couple of months I get
    >>>billed for EVERY kb that goes through the cable - and we onyl used it
    >>>for checking in with email during travelling - probably less than an
    >>>hour total online time for the entire month.
    >
    >>1) DO NOT actually sign up for SPCS Vision. (I do have the
    >>$5/mo Wireless Web option on my Fair & Flex America plan)
    >
    >Perhaps what is going on here is that you have a 3G phone but WW on your
    >plan rather than Vision. If you then use WW (maybe even Vision), you may
    >be charged $0.39/min EVEN if you think you should be covered under WW.
    >This is a known Sprint billing flaw that will never be fixed. You should
    >remove WW from your plan.
    >
    >It also sounds like you should sign up for Vision, but if you're willing to
    >live with the $0.01/kb rate then fine.

    No, so far I don't even get charged that extra per/kb rate.
    I still have been getting the usual flat-rate billing.
    (In fact since earlier this year I switched over to F&F
    America & my monthly bill went down about 15 bucks/mo due to
    relatively low usage.)

    As I had stated previously the couple of times now that I
    have recently used the 3G phone-laptop combo, subjectively
    I have not attempted to abuse it with excessive data
    transfers nor excessive online times.

    For now, should SPCS "catch up" with me & start billing me
    those extra per/kb rates, then I'll simply go back to
    occasionally using the slow pokey WW of which I still have
    that extra $5/mo option.
    ---Juan
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:09:59 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    > <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"Juan Pablo" <jpsmail2(DELETE THIS SECTION)@earthlink.net> wrote in
    message

    > ><snipped>
    > >> Bob,
    > >> Yes, the LG-5350 is a 3G phone; both the manual and the
    > >> nearby Sprint PCS Store state that fact.
    > >> Perhaps you were thinking of the slightly older LG-5150 and
    > >> 5250 models that were only 2G capable.
    > >>
    > >> There is also, or used to be available, an optional small LG
    > >> plug-in camera module for it. (I never obtained that camera
    > >> module.) Hope that helps. ---Juan
    > >
    > >Thanks for the clarification then. This brings up another point. If you
    have
    > >Wireless Web on your 3G phone, then it sounds like a mistake with SPCS's
    > >coding. I'm guessing you started off with SPCS with a prior 2G phone, had
    > >the WW option on your phone, then bought your LG and did an ESN change?
    > >
    > >Bob
    > >
    > Bob:
    > You may be correct about all that.
    > The LG-5350 is my 2nd SPCS phone.
    > The 1st SPCS phone was the 2G Samsung 3500, about 5 years
    > ago. I originally got Wireless Web about 3 years ago using
    > that 1st SPCS phone.
    > WW sort of defaulted to being "self limiting" for excessive
    > usage because WW is extremely slow.
    > I've had this LG-5350 about 1.5 years now, & had continued
    > to use it occasionally with WW.
    > It was only about 6 weeks ago, decided to dial up #777 just
    > for the heck of it, which "stumbled" me into the so-called
    > Vision usage via the phone, USB cable & laptop combo.

    See, here's another place where I'm confused. To connect with WW and it's
    14.4KB connection, the dial up was #2932 (or something close to that). #777
    is used to connect with Vision, and is 144KB burst speed with an average of
    50-70KB in speed.

    > As an aside, while lately observing (while not actually
    > posting anything) the Verizon newsgroup, it appears to me
    > that Verizon may be actually stating & allowing 3G via a
    > tethered phone-cable-laptop combo.
    > If so, IMHO perhaps SPCS should start officially considering
    > that type of 3G service in addition to the now 3G
    > "teenagers" Vision of sending only 3G Photos and text.

    I saw an option on Verizonwireless's site, called Mobile Office, but I
    didn't see where one could add the option to their plan, the option cost,
    nor whether there were any limitations.

    > Overall Sprint & Sprint PCS are the telephone communications
    > inovators. Perhaps they have something else up their
    > sleeves such as having near-future SPCS phones ALSO be Wi-Fi
    > capable for possible near-future SPCS Wi-Fi hot spots.
    > ---Juan

    They are already starting to market that ...

    Bob
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Actually bob Verizon offers free 3g tethered laptop usage with their
    America's choice? (don't recall its exact nationwide plan name). The main
    difference between Verizon and Sprintpcs is that the option included with
    that plan is charged per min, not per KB, and is taken out of your regular
    plan minute bucket. It has the same #777 dial-up settings as Sprintpcs
    vision, I set it up for a friend of mine, and called up Verizon's
    technical service about charges on the plan. They did confirm what I
    stated earlier. I guess Verizon is more option to tethered laptop use
    since they didn't give out cheap unlimited data plans like Sprintpcs did.
    Verizon also has per KB options along with their data pc-card plans but
    like Sprintpcs that is well documented on their website. Search google
    groups for alt.cellular.verizon I'm sure you will find more
    useful information from long term customers who have been using Verizon's
    data services.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
    > Actually bob Verizon offers free 3g tethered laptop usage with their
    > America's choice? (don't recall its exact nationwide plan name). The main
    > difference between Verizon and Sprintpcs is that the option included with
    > that plan is charged per min, not per KB, and is taken out of your regular
    > plan minute bucket. It has the same #777 dial-up settings as Sprintpcs
    > vision, I set it up for a friend of mine, and called up Verizon's
    > technical service about charges on the plan. They did confirm what I
    > stated earlier. I guess Verizon is more option to tethered laptop use
    > since they didn't give out cheap unlimited data plans like Sprintpcs did.
    > Verizon also has per KB options along with their data pc-card plans but
    > like Sprintpcs that is well documented on their website. Search google
    > groups for alt.cellular.verizon I'm sure you will find more
    > useful information from long term customers who have been using Verizon's
    > data services.

    Ah, good to know Central. Only thing is ... that one can burn quite a few AT
    minutes during the month.

    Bob
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:36:51 +0000, Bob Smith wrote:
    > Ah, good to know Central. Only thing is ... that one can burn quite a few AT
    > minutes during the month.
    >
    > Bob

    Yeah I used to subscribe to cingular and with the old cdcp setup that did
    charges by the min and it can if you don't watch it. This is why I got
    unlimited nights and weekends, back when they still offered it. Which was
    great since most of the time I needed to remote admin something it was
    because I was out of the office on a weekend.

Sprint PCS Laptops Internet Service Providers