The Hard drives are moving towards of what i would think of as an easier method. Serial ATA. Now cd-roms use ribbon cable too. Why arn't cd-roms being moved to Serial ATA too!? You would think it would be logical to do so. Otherwise having both the huge ribbon cables and the much easier serial cables kind of cancels each other out. If you go both in there whats the point?

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
In due time my friend. SATA has just recently come out. Wait until its the standard, then you'll see SATA Optical drives.

Don't forget the costs to manufacturers to refit their factories to use SATA opposed to PATA. It will be a while before you start seeing SATA optical drives, let alone them being the standard.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Can't you get parallel to serial adaptors? I mean for a hard drive that might incur an annoying performance degredation, but for a CD ROM who'd care?

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I haven't noticed any significant degradation of performance in PATA hard drives fitted to a SATA adaptor. The problem with an all SATA system, as I see it, is more of a practical one. Motherboards shipping with on-board SATA have only two SATA plugs. I know my system has four PATA devices, and a lot of peoples' systems have a lot more. So, if you had more than two SATA devices, you'd need an expansion card to plug them all in.

I think SATA is going to be pretty much exclusive to harddrives for the foreseeable future. I'm sure other devices will eventually adopt the standard as well butright now, the benefits to be had by a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in moving to SATA are virtually nil.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

TRENDING THREADS