Vantec Stealth my ass

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I got the 420watt black aluminum vantec stealth power supply. I bought it because it offered plenty of power, looks good, made out of aluminum and supposedly quiet. Afterall, vantec makes really quiet fans, so i figured i cant go wrong.In fact, on the manual for this ps it says "power in silence". wow. im stoked.

So i setup my system and turned the sob on. ITS A GODDAMN HELICOPTER! god, i can hear the sh!t from an adjacent room with the doors closed! and i thought the geforce fx is louD!

Wtf, did i get a defective power supply? does anyone else have this piece of sh!t? I am looking at my options now, i can either mod it with quieter fans, disable one of the fans or get a different power supply. Any suggestions?

Also, if this is a case of false advertising, is anyone interested in a class action lawsuit? someone rich with a lawyer? its easy money, they are definitely falsely advertising and with the ample evidence it should a sure win in the court with severe punitive damage$ ;)

god im pissed. what a waste of money.

it sure looks pretty though. as pretty as a nuclear blast.

this power supply is in a superflower 201 b black aluminum case, could the case have something to do with it?

Asus A7N8X ND + Athlong XP 2700(2.17ghz)
Mine is 192fsb x 12 = 2304mhz @ 1.775v
Corsair PC 3500 512 @ 5-3-3-2T :(
Audigy 2, Western Digital 80GIG SE 8meg cache
and Some CocknBalls.

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
That really sucks, I was contemplating getting one of those myself. Mostly because of the looks, but if it's as loud as you say it is, there's no way I'm gonna put that thing in my case...I don't need my own personal wind tunnel.

BTW, I checked some user reviews at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=17-103-471" target="_new">newegg.com</A> and it appears that it isn't just a faulty unit. You might have something with that class action lawsuit. If you do decide to sue, let me know so I can buy one of those PSUs/helicopters and get in on it too :tongue: j/k.

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
lol, that sucks. I've never had any problems with any of my generic psu's. I dont trust smart fans or stealth products either.

If its not broken, you're not trying hard enough.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Or possibly a batch of bad psu fans?

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
dude, you gotta figure two things - a) its a PSU with THREE fans, count-em, THREE, what did you expect; and b) it depends on their definition of "quiet"... check the specs, what does it say? 40db? 50db? well, for a three fanned PSU that is pretty damn quiet, so quit complainin, you shoulda figured what you were buyin before spendin the money... though it is damn pretty... was thinkin about one for myself, then realised i rather spend the extra $ on some panaflo fans for my enermax PSU and some black paint

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
umm what was i expecting? Tell me, what would you expect from a power supply when you visit their website at http://www.vantecusa.com. There are no avaiable specs for dba levels.

It does however say this: "Why should I use Vantec Stealth Power Supply?
Vantec presents Stealth Power Supply to give you the Power in Silence. "

now when people say silence, i think barely audible if at all. Am i wrong here?

You know, their response was something along the lines of your post. that is not the way you treat your customers, and let this be a warning to all. this company misrepresents their products and will not take responsibility for the misinformation.

DO NOT BUY THIS POWER SUPPLY! God i would love to stick it to them somehow. I think tom should do an article on this bs.

and Some CocknBalls.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
sorry for the aggressiveness in my post, but was just trying to point out the fact that EVEN 3 >20db Papst fans would still be kinda loud for a powersuply, because there are 3 of 'em... now I know about Vantec USA's custy support, they're id!ots and as$holes, I've written' em in regards to my Nexus fan controller before and gotten replies that were less informative than their website.

If I may suggest something - why don't you call 'em up? 510-668-0368 ... now i know its fremont clifornia, but if you wanna give 'em a piece of your mind call 'em up and tell 'em... give 'em some story about how you're a reseller and trusted their produts blahblahblah and was testing it out so that you could sell it in your high-end systems (of which, you should mention, you sell a dozen or so per month) and keep on pyling on the B.S. and just get to the fact that you insist you get your money back because of their false advertising and the utter dissapointment you had in their product... and if that doesn't work go to the better business bureau and make a formal complaint, then you can raise even more hell if you tell vantec that you are thinking of legal actions... scare 'em good..

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
ok i wrote them a nasty email and i contacted tomshardware to let them know. i noticed the vantec stealth wasnt in their big power supply review, ironically taht review was all about false advertising.

Im just going to go to all hardware boarsd and paste this post and get alot of people who share my oppinion. They wont listen to one person but if i get like oh 50-60 people they are bound to take me more seriously. This is against he law man and i want to see someone go down for this.

and Some CocknBalls.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
good job dude, stick it to 'em and f#ck 'em good - post somethin to tell how it goes

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Don't apologize for your aggressiveness, there's nothing wrong with speaking your mind. I know a guy who has one of those, it doesn't sound like a helicopter, but it sure as hell isn't stealthy

You should pay attention to db charts, they can be damn handy

It's all good ^_^

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
you know what, i've learnt to not pay attention to those very much and to base my choices on fans on their rpm and cfm ratings, which give a pretty good picture as to what they'll sound like (also bearing type). Thats why I tend to preffer some nice slow 120mm sleeve bearing fans over anything else - i mean an 80mm fan just can't cut it now-a-days. Thats why I'm leaning closer and closer to modding my enermax and sticking a 120mm bottom fan to replace the 92mm... i know its not the difference of the century, but if i replace the 80mm with a REALLY quiet one (aka papst, panaflo), in my soon-to-be watercooled system it will be sufficient.

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
well let me rephrase it, it isnt a helicopter but you can definitelly hear it from an adjacent room. For a power supply that claimes power in silence and stealth, that is misinforming.

And i didnt acuse anyone of aggressiveness, i was just clarifying my situation. No offense was taken and no apologies were required.

and Some CocknBalls.