wargames with chess-like turns

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 20, 2005 11:12:09 AM

Hi all,

Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?

I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
military
themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
Thanks for any suggestions,
-- kelly

More about : wargames chess turns

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:37:53 PM

jeffc wrote:
> "kelly" <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> > and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
> >
> > I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> > military
> > themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like
convention...
> > whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of
their
> > pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
>
> Panzer General (II preferrably)

In Panzer general you still move *all* of your pieces (not one) before
the opponent moves.

IMO PzG 1 still outclasses the other iterations (PzG2/3, AG, FG, PG);
although Allied and Fantasy Generals come close.

Anyway, the only type of TB strategy games I can think of where you do
not move all of your units in one go are the ones where initiative
ratings (and a random factor) determine which unit moves: Great Battles
Of Alexander (Hannibal/Caesar; Ancient), Dragoon (17th century), Semper
Fi (Modern; Marines).

And the battle sequences in for example Heroes3 and Disciples 2; but
the strategic map section of those is still I go - U go.

von Schmidt
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:38:07 PM

"kelly" <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote in news:1106237529.888588.150920
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all,
>
> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>
> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> military
> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> -- kelly

Go?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:07:47 PM

"kelly" <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>
> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> military
> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.

Panzer General (II preferrably)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:31:50 PM

There are board games where you move a certain number of formations
(sometimes just one), and then your opponent does, etc. In some,
there is a random element to what is allowed to move next. In some,
the sides' relative profficiency at command and control affects who
can activate what formations and when.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:01:30 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:07:47 GMT, jeffc wrote:

> "kelly" <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
>> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>>
>> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
>> military
>> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
>> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
>> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
>
> Panzer General (II preferrably)

Why PGII, is it better compared to PG III Scorched Earth ???

Morgan O.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:55:12 PM

kelly <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>
> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> military
> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> -- kelly

Hi Kelly,

Be sure to check out Battleship Chess from ApeZone. I've recently bought
the product (check out the demo) and have found it to be money well spent.

Cheers,
Dennis
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:45:38 AM

"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message
> > > whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of
> their
> > > pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
> >
> > Panzer General (II preferrably)
>
> In Panzer general you still move *all* of your pieces (not one) before
> the opponent moves.

Never mind. I misunderstood the question.

> IMO PzG 1 still outclasses the other iterations (PzG2/3, AG, FG, PG);
> although Allied and Fantasy Generals come close.

I prefer 2 over 1, although I really didn't care for 3.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:50:21 AM

"Morgan Ohlson" <morgan.ohlson@comhem.se> wrote in message

> > Panzer General (II preferrably)
>
> Why PGII, is it better compared to PG III Scorched Earth ???

I think II was better than I mostly because of the graphics and interface.
But with III, the 3D graphics got silly, and the game didn't play as well
IMO. Like the way the planes screwed around for example. And it seemed
lots of your pieces could just keep moving and moving - I don't think all
those multiple moves improved gameplay at all. In I and II there were
select units that could make a second move after attacking, but not 4 moves
in a row. (Note: I played the demo only for III, and didn't like it enough
to buy the game.)
January 21, 2005 7:45:13 AM

"kelly" <kellysieben@gmail.com> wrote in news:1106237529.888588.150920
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all,
>
> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>
> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> military
> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> -- kelly

The Combat Mission series is super and my all time fav. Smallish battalion
scale. The Africa Corp is the newest release. Try a demo.

http://battlefront.com/index.htm

It's a slight modification since you do your turn, your enemy does his, but
both moves are actually run simultaneously (for 1 min of battle time).
I love it as it avoids all that reaction phase stuff or gamey things like
one tank coming out and killing 6 others without a shot back in return
because they used up all their move 'points' last turn and couldn't
respond.

It's definately not one piece at a time (but I've never seen that type of
game ever, and I've played as many wargames as I've had time) but it is
turn based with no realtime clickfest where the person with the fastest
mouse wins.

It also has a great PBEM (play by email) function and it's popular so it's
easy to get a game with someone else. Careful though as lots of people are
really good and no small amount of them are in the military business in one
form or another is it's one of the more realistic war games out there.
They way they calculate armor penetrations is nuts :p

Cheers
P.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:43:59 PM

> Go?

I know you said WWII games but I was semi-serious about Go, also known as
Weiqi.

Go is one of those "10 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" games. It
is about territory and strategy and will.

There are a bunch of free clients versions:

GnuGo is a good place to start.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo.html
OpenGL interface
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/glgo/

There are also a bunch for Palm, Psion, WinCE, etc.

Good intro sites:
http://playgo.to/interactive/
http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnerStudySection
http://www.telgo.com/

There are also two major ladders where you can play online. Both are
pretty friendly to newbies with lessons and tutorials.

KGS
http://kgs.kiseido.com/
Pandanet
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/sintro1.html

Here are some good general links I have collected over the years:
http://senseis.xmp.net/
http://www.usgo.org/index.asp
http://home.snafu.de/frs/go.html
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/go.html

If you have never tried Go, I really suggest you take a look.

Best regards,
Paul
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:27:45 PM

In article <1106237529.888588.150920@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ya know how in some turn-based games, you move all your pieces
> and then your opponent move all his and then repeat?
>
> I was wondering if there were any turn-based wargames (specifically
> military
> themes from WWII to modern) that follow a more chess-like convention...
> whereby you move one piece and then your opponent moves one of their
> pieces and then you get to move one, etc.
> Thanks for any suggestions,

There are "impulse" games that play like this. There are several games in
the Storm over Arnheim series. I don't know if any are in print at this
time.
!