pc cases

speedo2wet

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
Any information is helpful... I am in the process of building a pc and am wondering which is better or is there any big difference between an aluminum or an acrylic case. I like the acrylic case because it is totally see-through. I am concerned about the heat and as long as there is fans going, would there be any type of problem???

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
an acrylic case is mostly for show. aluminum is nice cause its light. but most people would do fine with a steel case. i am partial to the enermax cases. you can get a pretty nice case with a bottom line enermax 300 watt psu for about 55 bucks at newegg.com

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no diff really, though the acrylic one will be thicker, heavier and probably not as strong.
If there are decent fanholes, then cooling shouldnt be a problem

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
actually dude i've heard werd that the enermax cases r'ent being shipped with enermax PSUs, only generic

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

gebbly

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
As stated before there is a minor difference in heat dissipation (aluminium is marginally better) but not a noticeable amoutn if the rest of your cooling equipment is setup nicely. Also there is the weight issue if you plan on taking your machine to LAN parties and the like in which case aluminium will be lighter.

But when looking at cases there are a few other factors that personally I would put ahead of the material of the case :

whether you want desktop or a tower of some size (after reading the AMD spec last night I was surprised to see it state that AMD strongly advise you to only use vertical cases with their CPUs)
supplied PSU? (makes a difference to the price)
number of drive bays needed
front mounted sockets needed (such as front sockets for usb or headphone jack)
Fans needed (look at what you will put inside and work out what cooling is needed)

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
some of them have powermax psus, but if you look in the pictures, you can see that some have powermax and some have enermax. they are probly very similar.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
chances are enermax PSUs are manufactured by powermax or vice-versa... either way, if the powermax PSUs are cheaper when purchased alone it might be a brand worth taking a look into...

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>