Strategic TB wargame simulation and realism

I'm still wondering if games like TOAW COW is really simulating better
compared to other TB's like Pantzer General or War Engine?

Why should a generic pack simulate at a lower accuracy? Isn't that the
real benefit of computers that all necessary settings can be made, for
instance in a scenario set-up screen!!!???

Morgan O.
1 answer Last reply
More about strategic wargame simulation realism
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Morgan Ohlson wrote:
    > I'm still wondering if games like TOAW COW is really simulating
    better
    > compared to other TB's like Pantzer General or War Engine?
    >
    > Why should a generic pack simulate at a lower accuracy? Isn't that
    the
    > real benefit of computers that all necessary settings can be made,
    for
    > instance in a scenario set-up screen!!!???
    >
    > Morgan O.

    At the risk of rising to the bait: TOAW COW *is* a generic wargame
    (just like the War engine), where a lot of the settings and chrome for
    a scenario are made on the level of the scenario.
    However, some elements such as combat model and supply model have a
    certain set design which can only be tweaked by parameters.
    Other examples: the Panzer Battles series.

    "Isn't that the
    real benefit of computers that all necessary settings can be made, for
    instance in a scenario set-up screen!!!???"

    A generic wargame which offers all the setting you might want to
    simulate any conflict would in effect be a development kit to allow you
    to develop a *game*. COW allows you to develop *scenarios* based on the
    underlying game engine.

    A wargame which is designed specifically for the conflict and period it
    simulates will (or : should) have a combat/supply model (etc) geared
    towards that specific battle.
    Example: The ACW from Sumter to Appomatox; Uncommon Valor; Strategic
    Command.

    IMO there is no real way to have a userfriendly generic wargame which
    allows you to create scenario;s which are actually accurate, realistic
    and fitting to the specific situation you want to model.

    TOAW-COW comes closest for WW2 to modern, but I would not want to try
    and get a ACW scenario out of it. And HTTR and Battles in Normandy are
    a lot better than the same scens in TOAW.

    Panzer General is superb fun, but only has a passing resemblance to a
    wargame simulating battles in WW2.

    Just my 2 cents.

    von Schmidt

PC gaming Games Video Games