Sid Meier's Pirates

No no no guys :S

I AM playing on the next to hardest difficulty level.
And still, with a crew of 30 men, I can easily take over
ships with 150 crew members ! The sword fencing just
is so utterly easy that it makes the game pointless
to me as I have never lost any fight even on that difficulty
level.

-Mickmils

In article <8e39ae7e.0501202313.a22315b@posting.google.com>,
Mils <mickmils@hotmail.com> wrote:
>No no no guys :S
>
>I AM playing on the next to hardest difficulty level.
>And still, with a crew of 30 men, I can easily take over
>ships with 150 crew members ! The sword fencing just
>is so utterly easy that it makes the game pointless
>to me as I have never lost any fight even on that difficulty
>level.

I had the same impression playing on Rogue. The difficulty leap up to
Swashbuckler is a much greater one -- especially for sword fighting.

While Swashbuckling it's pretty easy to find sword fights that are nigh
impossible. For example, where you start with a thrust, _after_ which your
opponent starts with a high attack -- and still hits you first.

So again, try starting over on Swashbuckler (so you have no items), and then
taking on Pirate Hunters when your crew is small, or the fiancees of
beutifull daughters. Some of the rapier armed guys in Taverns are also
brutal.

-Jasper

In article <c7i2v09muirmgk4ibkgr3qskvvpmokrhrq@4ax.com>,
Craig Richardson <crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>English guard captains like to choose the rapier. I had one of them
>/twice/ backed up one step from surrender, and he still eventually
>won. Fortunately (unlike suitors), there's no lasting penalty for
>losing to guard captains, so I dusted myself off, walked back in the
>front door, and beat him in about 10 seconds...

I've heard that lost fights worsen your health... hard to say if it's
true though.

-Jasper

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:40:00 -0800, Craig Richardson
<crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>with only ever one ship (your starting ship, or for even more fun, the
>first Indian war canoe you capture), or (somewhat easier, and my
>current challenge) never fight any land battles except for the one
>against Montalban.

I did expect that fight to be a bit harder, even at Rogue level.
Only had 150 crew and just blew through the indians.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft