Strat reinstalls after a format

Just bicurious about what strategy games y'all reinstall after a HD
format. With all these trojans giving it up the bung to PC users these
days, a LOT of reformats have gone down, and I expect a lot of strategy
games go into the electronic void. Mostly the newsgroups are a big
book of lists, and it's friday, so why not continue that trend?
Basically this is asking what you, yes you, think are good games long
after their market cycle, system specs and freshness dates have all
expired. Here's the stuff I will feel naked without reinstalling (or
having close by when needed):

King of Dragon Pass - A game with almost too much soul
Colonization - absorb the indians, then kill the british!
Patrician 2 - Hansa, not hatori hanzo, dude.
Close Combat Battle of the Bulge - because I can't sit through ASL
Dominions 2 - Best
Master of Orion - still the top of the heap of the space strategy 4x
Genghis Khan 2 - I tire of the tactical combat, but the soul gets to
me, highly compelling long after all the historically 'named' people
are dead and your great great grandson is still kicking arse.
Chaos Overlords - I can't win but it's still fun.
I'm missing something right?
littlemute

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> King of Dragon Pass - A game with almost too much soul
> Colonization - absorb the indians, then kill the british!
> Patrician 2 - Hansa, not hatori hanzo, dude.
> Close Combat Battle of the Bulge - because I can't sit through ASL
> Dominions 2 - Best
> Master of Orion - still the top of the heap of the space strategy 4x
> Genghis Khan 2 - I tire of the tactical combat, but the soul gets to
> me, highly compelling long after all the historically 'named' people
> are dead and your great great grandson is still kicking arse.
> Chaos Overlords - I can't win but it's still fun.

I agree about kodb, colonization and dominions2, but a pc without imperialsm
2 isn't a very useful thing.
I always have some variant of X-com or Jagged alliance on there.

dfs

Deadly games or JA2?

How is imperialism? I've never tried it. Does it scratch the 7 cities
of gold/colonization fix?

> Deadly games or JA2?

JA2 is far superior to JA1 or JA Deadly Games.

These are all good points. The multiplayer though. There are some good
times to be had there. I do wish there was a TREE for the DG missions
that was user modifiable. So if you made a set of scenarios and your
team lost a scenario you would continue with a different scenario than
if you won, leading to a different ending. Sort of like the different
paths in Guardian Heroes.

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> Deadly games or JA2?

Either way. Deadly games has some nice random campaign settings. JA2
enhances the engine.

> How is imperialism? I've never tried it. Does it scratch the 7 cities
> of gold/colonization fix?

There's Imperialism1 and 2. 2 contains the new world. They're both good
games. I prefer the second.

Nothing scratches the colonization urge like ...well...like colonization
does.

dfs

"Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
> "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> > Deadly games or JA2?
>
> JA2 is far superior to JA1 or JA Deadly Games.

With all due respect Jim, You don't know what your talking about.

JA2 has a much nicer and newer engine, but if your after games that stay on
your machine because they're replayable, Deadly Games is what you are after.
Random ongoing missions is Deadly Games strength.

dfs

"David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in message
> "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
>> King of Dragon Pass - A game with almost too much soul
>> Colonization - absorb the indians, then kill the british!
>> Patrician 2 - Hansa, not hatori hanzo, dude.
>> Close Combat Battle of the Bulge - because I can't sit through ASL
>> Dominions 2 - Best
>> Master of Orion - still the top of the heap of the space strategy 4x
>> Genghis Khan 2 - I tire of the tactical combat, but the soul gets to
>> me, highly compelling long after all the historically 'named' people
>> are dead and your great great grandson is still kicking arse.
>> Chaos Overlords - I can't win but it's still fun.
>
> I agree about kodb, colonization and dominions2, but a pc without
> imperialsm
> 2 isn't a very useful thing.
> I always have some variant of X-com or Jagged alliance on there.

idleeric --> DOSbox is a godsend. Currently on board:

Colonization; Masters of Magic, X-Com, the long unloadable Crusaders: No
Remorse & No Regret, Fantasy General, Warlords 2, & "Q.Q.P. presents ....
Conquered Kingdoms"

.... still have the floppies. Next to reload: Perfect General, Jagged
Alliance, & Steel Panthers.

"Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in message
> JA2 has far better graphics and guns and action. Better mercs,
> more interesting terrain and locations. Taking over a whole island
> like the original, holding terrain, taking over mines and resources,
etc...
> is alot more fun than just the ongoing "Ok Woody, Here's the scoop.
> Go to this place, and kill them all, and I'll give you <pause> 10 G's".
> over and over and over. Just one map, over and over. No real
> continuation. No overall strategy at an "upper level" if you know
> what I mean.
>
> I guess it's just a matter of taste.
I guess we'll just agree that it's a matter of taste.

> > I guess it's just a matter of taste.
> I guess we'll just agree that it's a matter of taste.
>
> dfs

You have good taste, and I don't. I got it :)

Just kidding.. it's not a big deal. I liked Deadly Games a
bit while I played it. But I really prefered JA2.

On the 21 Jan 2005, "David Short"
<David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote:

<snip>

> I agree about kodb, colonization and dominions2, but a pc without
> imperialsm 2 isn't a very useful thing.

I always meant to get Imperialism 2 (having enjoyed Imperialism 1), but
never got round to it. Is it still available, where can I get it, and
will it work on Windows XP?

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

TRENDING THREADS