Looking to Reinstall Windows 7

kman245

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hello,

After installing/using Norton Power Eraser, my computer is no longer able to boot. I get the "Windows Failed to start" error. The only options are available are Start Windows normally or Launch start-up Repair. I'm guessing I should reinstall windows but I want to do this without deleting any files/data. I tried doing F8 to go into safe mode but that option isn't available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Personally, I would download something like Hiren's boot and rescue and grab a large USB/External HDD, boot from the CD and then copy as much of your data to the external device as you can.

I would then try the start-up repair option which essentially attempts to reinstall essential windows files but keep the existing data in place (this has various levels of success depending on what the problem is), at least if it all goes breasts vertical you'll have your data saved.

The other option is a backup (as mentioned above) and then a clean install, I'd do this if you were confident you'd managed to get all your data out.

kman245

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

I attempted the start-up repair option a few times but it wasn't able to repair it.