Is 2yr contract negotiable?

I have had SPCS since '99 under a $30/300 min plan. Adding a third line now
for my son. Company has offered me the following:

1100 anytime minutes
Unl. N/W starting at 7 pm
Unl mobile to mobile
2 yr contract
$85.50 for 3 phones

Sounds like a good deal, but i cannot STAND the idea of a 2-year deal,
especially since they will charge me a non-prorated $150 per line to cancel.

Don't get me wrong, I have had no problem with Sprint, but, then, I have
never had a contract.

From your experience, how negotiable is that 2-year deal? Would it be
possible to get the same offer as above with a 1-year deal?

Appreciate the advice.

Bob in Atlanta
3 answers Last reply
More about contract negotiable

    "Bob Igel" <rigel@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > I have had SPCS since '99 under a $30/300 min plan. Adding a third line
    now
    > for my son. Company has offered me the following:
    >
    > 1100 anytime minutes
    > Unl. N/W starting at 7 pm
    > Unl mobile to mobile
    > 2 yr contract
    > $85.50 for 3 phones
    >
    > Sounds like a good deal, but i cannot STAND the idea of a 2-year deal,
    > especially since they will charge me a non-prorated $150 per line to
    cancel.

    > Don't get me wrong, I have had no problem with Sprint, but, then, I have
    > never had a contract.
    >
    > From your experience, how negotiable is that 2-year deal? Would it be
    > possible to get the same offer as above with a 1-year deal?
    >
    > Appreciate the advice.
    >
    > Bob in Atlanta

    Bob, you may be do better through the retention dept. I've been with SPCS
    since 98. The retention / cancellation dept has the highest level authority
    in negotiating plans. In Jan, I called them up, not threatening to cancel,
    but I did say I was looking at the other competitive plans by the other
    providers in my area, and wondered whether they could match or better those
    offers. I went into the conversation a bit prepared with the other plan
    information.

    I was able to swing a deal originally for my 3 phones, @ 1200 AT minutes,
    unlimited PCS2PCS, F&CA, & N & W @ 7;00 for $65. I also have Vision on my
    primary phone and daughter's phone for $20/mo. SPCS also applies a 5% credit
    on this cost, so with taxes and surcharges, it came out to about $98/mo. The
    change in plans went into effect on my next billing cycle in Feb.

    Since then, I dropped the 7:00 N & W feature, as N & W started at 8:00 PM
    and we weren't making that many calls during the one hour difference. So,
    now my plan is $93/mo.

    Think of going into the phone call with retention with honey, and no
    vinegar, if you catch my drift. You may or may not get the same deal I was
    given.

    Oh, and as for the two years, that was tied into the 7:00 N & W option. Even
    though I gave up that option, my three phones are locked into an AA till
    Feb/06. The two year extension doesn't bother me as I've been quite
    satisfied with coverage in my neck of the woods in Charlotte.

    Now, if you are looking for new phones as well, if you qualify for the
    mail-in rebates - http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ , the time to talk
    about it, is with the retention rep. I mention this, because if you try to
    do the mail in rebate later, with one or all three of your phones, they will
    add an additional two years to your AA. Better to get that AA to run
    concurrently with whatever contract extension is added when you negotiate
    your plan.

    Bob

    On 5-Oct-2004, "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Now, if you are looking for new phones as well, if you qualify for the
    > mail-in rebates - http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ , the time to talk
    > about it, is with the retention rep. I mention this, because if you try to
    > do the mail in rebate later, with one or all three of your phones, they
    > will
    > add an additional two years to your AA. Better to get that AA to run
    > concurrently with whatever contract extension is added when you negotiate
    > your plan.
    >
    > Bob

    Did I understand you to say that if you buy a phone and do the mail-in
    rebate you will have two years added to my plan?
    My plan expired about six months ago--if I buy a phone on the sprintpcs.com
    website or in a store an automatic two year agreement is the kicker?
    If I go the retention route (I have 350 min, FIMF, Free Mobile to Mobile,
    and Night/Weekends unlimited after 9:00, Vision for $35) would I stand a
    chance of getting more minutes and/or photo or video mail added if I went
    with a one year agreement?

    Thanks!

    <bdavis@nospamfromyou.com> wrote in message

    > On 5-Oct-2004, "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Now, if you are looking for new phones as well, if you qualify for the
    > > mail-in rebates - http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ , the time to
    talk
    > > about it, is with the retention rep. I mention this, because if you try
    > > do the mail in rebate later, with one or all three of your phones, they
    > > will
    > > add an additional two years to your AA. Better to get that AA to run
    > > concurrently with whatever contract extension is added when you
    negotiate
    > > your plan.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > Did I understand you to say that if you buy a phone and do the mail-in
    > rebate you will have two years added to my plan?

    Yup. $150 credit equals two more years.

    > My plan expired about six months ago--if I buy a phone on the
    sprintpcs.com
    > website or in a store an automatic two year agreement is the kicker?

    Absolutely not. It's the mail in rebate which extends the agreement. SPCS
    needs to do that to recap their subsidized cost on the phone.

    > If I go the retention route (I have 350 min, FIMF, Free Mobile to Mobile,
    > and Night/Weekends unlimited after 9:00, Vision for $35) would I stand a
    > chance of getting more minutes and/or photo or video mail added if I went
    > with a one year agreement?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Personally, a $35 plan customer won't have much leeway with retention, so
    no, I don't think you can get a better deal. There just isn't that much to
    work with on a low cost plan like yours and what you have on your plan
    already. Considering what you have on your plan now, unless you are spending
    a lot on AT minute overages, I wouldn't recommend even calling them.

    Bob

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers