Problems with limited screen resolution choices in Games.

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Hello all

Command & Conquer Generals, C&CG Zero Hour, Haegemonia all only give me
resolution choices up to 1280x960. The manual for Haegemonia states that a
resolution of 1280x1024 (the native resolution of my LCD monitor - LG
L1720B) can be achieved as long as the GPU has 64 Meg or more of RAM (I'm
running a 128 MB 9700). Also Haegemonia only lets me choose 16 or 24 bit
colour (32 Bit isn't given as a choice).

FPS Games such as HL2, DOOM3 etc etc do not present the same problems at
all!

I've tried Google seraches etc but cannot find a solution to the above
problem - anyone got any ideas?

TIA

BillL

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:01:46 GMT, "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>Command & Conquer Generals, C&CG Zero Hour, Haegemonia all only give me
>resolution choices up to 1280x960. The manual for Haegemonia states that a
>resolution of 1280x1024 (the native resolution of my LCD monitor - LG
>L1720B) can be achieved as long as the GPU has 64 Meg or more of RAM (I'm
>running a 128 MB 9700).

C&C:Generals, you can modify the Resolution setting by editing Options.ini.
The same applies (but isn't always recommended) for the previous two
installments. However, you can't set it to 16/32-bit colour to try to
speed things up.

>Also Haegemonia only lets me choose 16 or 24 bit
>colour (32 Bit isn't given as a choice).

I don't know about Haegemonia, but I suspect you might be able to find a
config option that can be changed, as long as it's not a single number. If
you can't, you could try faking the extra resolution by enabling
Anti-Aliasing for that program.

(I wouldn't worry about getting 24-bit colour instead of 32-bit colour.
Last time I checked, the final 8-bits were used for padding, although I'm
not sure if things have changed recently.)

>FPS Games such as HL2, DOOM3 etc etc do not present the same problems at
>all!

Most decent games actually check the list of resolutions available, rather
than using some other system or otherwise trying to guess based on system
performance.

If you encounter a game that doesn't allow increasing resolutions, then
it's a problem with the game itself. The best solution is to check the FAQ
for the game in question, or ask on the appropriate forums or newsgroups.