Here we go again

Last response: in Home Audio
February 27, 2005 10:52:54 PM

Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last night..recap:the
first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes to
fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the internet
that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is there
a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
But all in all I'm getting tired of this..I have three gigs a week now and I
need reliability.I use one mackie pointed at me to get an idea of what's
happening on the other two frontside..prob was when the front facing one
blew I didn't know until the dj came up and told me..is there a way to tell
that something is amiss up front ?some signal meter or something I can put
in front of the speaker to warn me when signal drops?
Back to the tired of this issue..I know that things happen but,I'm losing
faith fast,I need a more reliable solution in the next few weeks or
months..please recommend some solutions for me other than mackie..
Thanks
btw they are not blowing from clipping,I can see the back of the speakers
and there are no red lights

More about : question

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:59:24 AM

In article <1124qr8bjmchcd@corp.supernews.com>,
reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last night..recap:the
>first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
>evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
>think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes to
>fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
>now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the internet
>that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is there
>a place whre I can find a proper replacement?

Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
--scott

February 28, 2005 4:38:42 PM

Here's the rub. You probably didn't blow anything. Mackies have a
protection circuit in them that is thermal based, and for all practical
purposes, it points to some other problem than the speaker itself. If you
had two blow, as you assert in this and another post, then you are treating
them wrong. However, having said that, a lot of people have found that
running fans onto the cooling fins works quite nicely.

I have a pair of Mackie SR1530s, and have had one problem with one speaker
about 1 hour prior to showtime during soundchecks. I hauled it off to the
store I bought it from, they gave me one off the floor, and that one has
worked fine. I went back to the store 6 months later and they'd never found
a problem with the speaker under 6 months of demos at all types of volumes.

Quit changing speakers, cut the thing off for about 15 minutes minimum, and
while you're waiting, start looking at your gain staging because it's likely
that your are overdriving the amps with distortion, even if you can't hear
it.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"reqluq" <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last
night..recap:the
> first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
> evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
> think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes
> fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
> now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the
internet
> that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is
there
> a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
> But all in all I'm getting tired of this..I have three gigs a week now and
> need reliability.I use one mackie pointed at me to get an idea of what's
> happening on the other two frontside..prob was when the front facing one
> blew I didn't know until the dj came up and told me..is there a way to
tell
> that something is amiss up front ?some signal meter or something I can put
> in front of the speaker to warn me when signal drops?
> Back to the tired of this issue..I know that things happen but,I'm losing
> faith fast,I need a more reliable solution in the next few weeks or
> months..please recommend some solutions for me other than mackie..
> Thanks
> btw they are not blowing from clipping,I can see the back of the speakers
> and there are no red lights

February 28, 2005 6:21:27 PM

> In article <1124qr8bjmchcd@corp.supernews.com>,
> reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last
>>night..recap:the
>>first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
>>evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
>>think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes
>>fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
>>now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the
>>internet
>>that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is
>>there
>>a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
>
> Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
> --scott

That's what was said about srm450 #1..I sent it to the repair shop in
fla.and they said nothing as wrong with it..
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:22:32 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last night..recap:the
> >first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
> >evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
> >think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes to
> >fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
> >now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the internet
> >that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is there
> >a place whre I can find a proper replacement?

> Your amp section is bad. Fix it.

Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?

(Dumbass guitar players have lots of questions, several batteries, and
few answers.)

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last night..recap:the
>> >first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
>> >evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is lasting,I
>> >think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes to
>> >fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
>> >now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the internet
>> >that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is there
>> >a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
>
>> Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
>
>Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
>clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
>Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
>the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?

I _think_ this is the guy who measured 12V of DC offset from the output
of the amp. That would tend to damage drivers all right.
--scott

February 28, 2005 6:22:33 PM

Guys, these are ACTIVE speakers. 12 volts DC going to active speakers would
certainly heat things up, which should cut in the thermal protection, just
like on my SR1530 Mackies.

When the gain staging isn't correct, Mackies tend to show the problem
earlier than more professional units. But it's hardly likely that driver
changes make any difference because it's the thermal circuit that's cut out.
I had it happen to me when my compressor was set incorrectly, causing me to
raise the output higher than I normally would, ending up in thermal
shutdown.

With proper gain staging, a Mackie SRM450 should run all night without a
hiccup. If it's gain staged incorrectly, it will go in a couple of minutes.
Wait half an hour and it will work again, but then go quickly thereafter if
the initial problem isn't fixed.

My suggestion is that the young man learn proper gain staging and find out
just how reliable the Mackies are. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and
haven't even had a problem with them in the great outdoors (except for a
gain staging problem I only had 1 hour to exhange rather than troubleshoot),
which they weren't designed for. On the other hand, my smaller JBLs blew
both HF diaphragms on the same day just being side fills without a
tremendous amount of power being applied. Oh well, another $200.

--

> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
> > reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last
night..recap:the
> > >first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
> > >evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is
lasting,I
> > >think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw
holes to
> > >fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so
far..but
> > >now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the
internet
> > >that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is
there
> > >a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
>
> > Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
>
> Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
> clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
> Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
> the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?
>
> (Dumbass guitar players have lots of questions, several batteries, and
> few answers.)
>
> --
> ha

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:22:33 PM

> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> reqluq <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last
>> >night..recap:the
>> >first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
>> >evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is
>> >lasting,I
>> >think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes
>> >fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
>> >now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the
>> >internet
>> >that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is
>> >there
>> >a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
>
>> Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
>
> Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
> clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
> Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
> the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?

well this is speaker # 2
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:22:34 PM

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
> Guys, these are ACTIVE speakers. 12 volts DC going to active speakers
> would
> certainly heat things up, which should cut in the thermal protection, just
> like on my SR1530 Mackies.
>
> When the gain staging isn't correct,

I have the volume control on the mackies themselves always set at 3
oclock..and watch for the red light vigilantly..like you said it would
shutdown if I were to peak...that wasn't the case..the first one that did
this I opened ,and the coil was burnt up badly...

Mackies tend to show the problem
> earlier than more professional units. But it's hardly likely that driver
> changes make any difference because it's the thermal circuit that's cut
> out.
> I had it happen to me when my compressor was set incorrectly, causing me
> raise the output higher than I normally would, ending up in thermal
> shutdown.
>
> With proper gain staging, a Mackie SRM450 should run all night without a
> hiccup. If it's gain staged incorrectly, it will go in a couple of
> minutes.
> Wait half an hour and it will work again, but then go quickly thereafter
> if
> the initial problem isn't fixed.

I do not push them hard.else I would see clipping no?

> My suggestion is that the young man learn proper gain staging and find out
> just how reliable the Mackies are.

sheesh..I am happy for the responses roger but I have been doing this for
over a few years now(mixing my own band) and this has just begun manifesting
itself in the last few months..and btw I AM taking more care since the probs
with the first one...

> I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and
> haven't even had a problem with them in the great outdoors (except for a
> gain staging problem I only had 1 hour to exhange rather than
> troubleshoot),
> which they weren't designed for. On the other hand, my smaller JBLs blew
> both HF diaphragms on the same day just being side fills without a
> tremendous amount of power being applied. Oh well, another $200.
>
> --
>

> Roger W. Norman
> SirMusic Studio
> http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
>
> "hank alrich" <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote in message
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:

> night..recap:the
> lasting,I
> holes to
> far..but
> internet
> there
>>
>> > Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
>>
>> Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
>> clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
>> Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
>> the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?
>>
>> (Dumbass guitar players have lots of questions, several batteries, and
>> few answers.)
>>
>> --
>> ha

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:24:00 PM

> hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
>>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>> Your amp section is bad. Fix it.
>>
>>Okay, he's now done this twice, to two different SRM450's. He says the
>>clip light on the 450 isn't lighting. Is the clipping indicator defunct?
>>Is there oscillation upstream from the powered speaker that's trashing
>>the woofer? How about DC offset from the mixer or something?
>
> I _think_ this is the guy who measured 12V of DC offset from the output
> of the amp. That would tend to damage drivers all right.
> --scott

I explained that in a post a few weeks ago ,maybe in my frustration I had
misread ..I sent that amp to the repair shop,and they said it was fine..it
has since been chugging along with the black widow in there..because I can't
find a replacement for it here...
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:30:15 PM

In article <1126v848ler740c@corp.supernews.com> scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com writes:

> sheesh..I am happy for the responses roger but I have been doing this for
> over a few years now(mixing my own band) and this has just begun manifesting
> itself in the last few months..and btw I AM taking more care since the probs
> with the first one...

It should be obvious by now that this isn't the place to get your
problem solved. Call Mackie, ask where to send them, and get them
fixed once and for all. You shouldn't have to be shoveling new
speakers into them every few months.

There have been some problems with the amplifiers in some of Mackie's
powered speakers. Perhaps there's a fix for yours. Sending them back
to the manufacturer for service isn't very convenient, but Mackie has
always been good about making it as painless as possible. If there's a
known problem, they'll probably cover it under warranty and even pay
the shipping cost.

February 28, 2005 9:58:14 PM

> In article <1126v848ler740c@corp.supernews.com>
> scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> sheesh..I am happy for the responses roger but I have been doing this for
>> over a few years now(mixing my own band) and this has just begun
>> manifesting
>> itself in the last few months..and btw I AM taking more care since the
>> probs
>> with the first one...
>
> It should be obvious by now that this isn't the place to get your
> problem solved. Call Mackie, ask where to send them, and get them
> fixed once and for all. You shouldn't have to be shoveling new
> speakers into them every few months.

Well I have,but asking a wide range of users,to find if there are similar
experiences can't hurt..

> There have been some problems with the amplifiers in some of Mackie's
> powered speakers.

Is this know to manifest itself after about a year of usage ,or does it
normally happen right away?

> Perhaps there's a fix for yours. Sending them back
> to the manufacturer for service isn't very convenient, but Mackie has
> always been good about making it as painless as possible. If there's a
> known problem, they'll probably cover it under warranty and even pay
> the shipping cost.

To the caribbean? we'll see
:-)
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:15:10 PM

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <1126v848ler740c@corp.supernews.com>
>> scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com writes:
>>
>>> sheesh..I am happy for the responses roger but I have been doing this
>>> for
>>> over a few years now(mixing my own band) and this has just begun
>>> manifesting
>>> itself in the last few months..and btw I AM taking more care since the
>>> probs
>>> with the first one...
>>
>> It should be obvious by now that this isn't the place to get your
>> problem solved. Call Mackie, ask where to send them, and get them
>> fixed once and for all. You shouldn't have to be shoveling new
>> speakers into them every few months.
>
> Well I have,but asking a wide range of users,to find if there are similar
> experiences can't hurt..

and btw over time ,I have been in contact with mackie,nothing sensible out
of them..as I said before I sent the amp of speaker 1 to florida
electronics.and they said nothing wrong with it...I'm leaning towards one of
the suggestions of the sustained note,from brass,sequenced and live(I run a
latin band)causing the coils to remain outside the magnet for longer
durations,hence not getting the benefit of the cooling ..the burnt coil is
burnt on only about half of the area..so it would seem that would be some
truth to that theory..maybe
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:49:17 AM

Gain staging and heat. My guess is heat
If you are in Florida or the Caribbean, and doing outside gigs, I can almost
GUARANTEE that it is thermal shutdown.
Especially if they are the older "Made in Italy" SRM 450's.
We use these as stage monitors here in Las Vegas, and you had better
believe, indoor gig/outdoor gig (doesn't matter!) They ALWAYS have the
little clip-on fans cooling the heat sink fins!
These speakers are notorius for going into thermal shutdown at the drop of a
hat.
That said, we really did blow one driver, and Mackie sent us some OEM 12"
speaker that was different from the stock one that blew...sounds OK I
suppose...

This has always been a problem with these speakers
But then again, I am no Hank Alrich either:)

--
Kindest Regards,
Brad Hagen http://www.musiciansadvocate.com

When you signup for PayPal, you can start accepting credit card payments
instantly. As the world's number one online payment service, PayPal is the
fastest way to open your doors to over 40 million member accounts worldwide.

Best of all, it's completely free to sign up!

To sign up or learn more, click here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=XLN4XGUC5QZVC
> [...]
>> But all in all I'm getting tired of this..I have three gigs a week now
>> and
>> need reliability.I use one mackie pointed at me to get an idea of what's
>> happening on the other two frontside..prob was when the front facing one
>> blew I didn't know until the dj came up and told me..is there a way to
> tell
>> that something is amiss up front ?some signal meter or something I can
>> put
>> in front of the speaker to warn me when signal drops?
>> Back to the tired of this issue..I know that things happen but,I'm losing
>> faith fast,I need a more reliable solution in the next few weeks or
>> months..please recommend some solutions for me other than mackie..
>> Thanks
>> btw they are not blowing from clipping,I can see the back of the speakers

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:35:19 AM

reqluq wrote:

> I have the volume control on the mackies themselves always set at 3
> oclock..and watch for the red light vigilantly..like you said it would
> shutdown if I were to peak...that wasn't the case..the first one that did
> this I opened ,and the coil was burnt up badly...

I'm back to thinking DC from upstream of the speaker's amp parks the
woofer at each end of its excursion, and though that excursion is
nominally less than full, the parking has energy focused excessively in
those areas of the coil.

Now, given my tech chops, the liklihood I'm right is pretty small. But
maybe somebody straightening me out will help solve this mess for you.
<g>

--
ha
Anonymous

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
> Here's the rub. You probably didn't blow anything. Mackies have a
> protection circuit in them that is thermal based, and for all practical
> purposes, it points to some other problem than the speaker itself. If you
> had two blow, as you assert in this and another post, then you are
> treating
> them wrong.

Hmm ..I've been using em since march or so last year..this(speaker #2)Just
blew last week..and as I said before I was being more careful because of
what happened to speaker #1 in december..I would think after almost a year
of trouble free usage,passing through the hot summer and all.with no
probs,that by now I should know how to treat the srm450's,and should be
given a bit more credit than *user error*
I'll give on # 1 that I let another band use em unsupervised once in
december..a few weeks before # 1 blew,so maybe they did something to cause
this..
I have ordered a new 12" from mackie..I'll see how it goes from there..

However, having said that, a lot of people have found that
> running fans onto the cooling fins works quite nicely.
>
> I have a pair of Mackie SR1530s, and have had one problem with one speaker
> about 1 hour prior to showtime during soundchecks. I hauled it off to the
> store I bought it from, they gave me one off the floor, and that one has
> worked fine. I went back to the store 6 months later and they'd never
> found
> a problem with the speaker under 6 months of demos at all types of
> volumes.
>
> Quit changing speakers, cut the thing off for about 15 minutes minimum,
> and
> while you're waiting, start looking at your gain staging because it's
> likely
> that your are overdriving the amps with distortion, even if you can't hear
> it.
>
> --
>

> Roger W. Norman
> SirMusic Studio
> http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
>
> "reqluq" <scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't know if Im just unlucky but my 2nd srm 450 went last
> night..recap:the
>> first one had blown,I put in a black widow 12 " in,that blew,though no
>> evident damage to the coil..had to put another bw 12" in,that is
>> lasting,I
>> think due to the fact I took better care when machining the screw holes
>> fit in the mackies... I bought a new mackie,and that is fine so far..but
>> now,like I said earlier,srm 450 #2 has blown..I've read around the
> internet
>> that eaw/mackie does not send proper replacement speakers/drivers..is
> there
>> a place whre I can find a proper replacement?
>> But all in all I'm getting tired of this..I have three gigs a week now
>> and
>> need reliability.I use one mackie pointed at me to get an idea of what's
>> happening on the other two frontside..prob was when the front facing one
>> blew I didn't know until the dj came up and told me..is there a way to
> tell
>> that something is amiss up front ?some signal meter or something I can
>> put
>> in front of the speaker to warn me when signal drops?
>> Back to the tired of this issue..I know that things happen but,I'm losing
>> faith fast,I need a more reliable solution in the next few weeks or
>> months..please recommend some solutions for me other than mackie..
>> Thanks
>> btw they are not blowing from clipping,I can see the back of the speakers
>> and there are no red lights

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:07:38 AM

Here are some questions. Just how much low end are you trying to get
out of these speakers? Are you using a sub? Trying to get a lot of kick
out of them?

reqluq wrote:
> [...]
what's
> >> happening on the other two frontside..prob was when the front
facing one
> >> blew I didn't know until the dj came up and told me..is there a
way to
> > tell
> >> that something is amiss up front ?some signal meter or something I
can
> >> put
> >> in front of the speaker to warn me when signal drops?
> >> Back to the tired of this issue..I know that things happen but,I'm
losing
> >> faith fast,I need a more reliable solution in the next few weeks
or
> >> months..please recommend some solutions for me other than mackie..
> >> Thanks
> >> btw they are not blowing from clipping,I can see the back of the

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:24:20 AM

In article <1127c0k8ev08988@corp.supernews.com> scredcropshonnospam@hotmail.com writes:

> > It should be obvious by now that this isn't the place to get your
> > problem solved. Call Mackie

> Well I have,but asking a wide range of users,to find if there are similar
> experiences can't hurt..

And obviously nobody else here has had a problem similar to yours,
unless you've heard from people privately. From your description,
there's a problem with the amplifier in your speaker, but there may be
something that you're missing or not telling us. I really don't like
to try to diagnose electronics problems when I can't have the unit in
front of me and probe around a bit.

> > There have been some problems with the amplifiers in some of Mackie's
> > powered speakers.

> Is this know to manifest itself after about a year of usage ,or does it
> normally happen right away?

Usually after a while. It's heat-related. The speakers can work fine
until they get just hot enough, then ZAP!

March 1, 2005 5:16:55 PM

<tymish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here are some questions. Just how much low end are you trying to get
> out of these speakers? Are you using a sub? Trying to get a lot of kick
> out of them?

Well there is no kick drum in the band really..beyond when I use the
sequencer,it's a salsa band..more percussion based music..not really
bass(and kick if used)heavy..that's why I got these over 15" or larger.they
were recommended to me on that basis(latin band sound) from pro live sound I
think, last year when I was researching which new speakers to get.Maybe I
need to get a sub..any recommendations?
req
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 7:43:17 PM

<tymish@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here are some questions. Just how much low end are you trying to get
> out of these speakers? Are you using a sub? Trying to get a lot of kick
> out of them?

But if that was the cause of the failure the clip light would certainly
indicate overload, unless the clipping indicator was dysfunctional. That
could be the case, but it doesn't seem likely that it would affect both
of his SRM450's. (Unless they're consecutive serial numbers and hence,
"matched". <g>)

--
ha
Anonymous

reqluq wrote:
> <tymish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Here are some questions. Just how much low end are you trying to get
>>out of these speakers? Are you using a sub? Trying to get a lot of kick
>>out of them?
>

> Well there is no kick drum in the band really..beyond when I use the
> sequencer,it's a salsa band..more percussion based music..not really
> bass(and kick if used)heavy..that's why I got these over 15" or larger.they
> were recommended to me on that basis(latin band sound) from pro live sound I
> think, last year when I was researching which new speakers to get.Maybe I
> need to get a sub..any recommendations?
> req

I owned about 10 of the rcf art300a's
these were essentially the 450's prior to being rebadged when mackie
bought rcf
i had 2 that would catch on fire and billow black smoke
they were returned under warrentee
RCF told me the amps were "biased" wrong
I Have no idea what this means but once factory serviced they never
caught fire again
George
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:53:40 PM

hank alrich wrote:
> <tymish@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Here are some questions. Just how much low end are you trying to
get
> > out of these speakers? Are you using a sub? Trying to get a lot of
kick
> > out of them?
>
> But if that was the cause of the failure the clip light would
certainly
> indicate overload, unless the clipping indicator was dysfunctional.
That
> could be the case, but it doesn't seem likely that it would affect
both
> of his SRM450's. (Unless they're consecutive serial numbers and
hence,
> "matched". <g>)
>
> --
> ha

Agreed, yet I have seen 32 band EQs with the 30 - 40 - 50 Hz bands
boosted 15dB. Particularly with DJs trying to get 12 in. speakers to
rattle the house with bass. This can wreak havoc with a driver, even
below amp clipping.

YT
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:02:24 PM

<tymish@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Agreed, yet I have seen 32 band EQs with the 30 - 40 - 50 Hz bands
>boosted 15dB. Particularly with DJs trying to get 12 in. speakers to
>rattle the house with bass. This can wreak havoc with a driver, even
>below amp clipping.

One of the nice things about the SRM450 is that they have some pretty
extensive protection built into the electronics to prevent abuse like this
from doing permanent damage. I'm sure you can still figure some way to
wreck them, but it's a lot harder than with conventional speakers.
The protection limiters start kicking in before the drivers hit their
maximum excursion, and there are also slower gadgets there to deal with
long-term heating effects too. There isn't any temperature sensor on the
voice coil itself, though.... that would be a lot harder to do.
--scott