TCP/IP LAN game problems

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

for some reason, i cannot see any tcp/ip games on my local
network. all three of my pcs have xp home w. service pack
2. i configured all of them under the network wizard as
=>other=>this network has no internet connection, which it
doesnt. i have tried assigning each of them with their own
ip address to no avail. i turned off the firewall because
with no internet i dont need it. the only game i can play
between the three of them is counter strike because it
uses ipx/spx. all three of the computers can see each
other in network places and i can access their individual
drives, but i just cant see any games that are hosted.
please help.

Hi Ben,

"Ben" <benjaminallen@direcway.com> wrote in message news:18e301c49e64$f68d4c70$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| for some reason, i cannot see any tcp/ip games on my local
| network. all three of my pcs have xp home w. service pack
| 2. i configured all of them under the network wizard as
| =>other=>this network has no internet connection, which it
| doesnt. i have tried assigning each of them with their own
| ip address to no avail. i turned off the firewall because
| with no internet i dont need it. the only game i can play
| between the three of them is counter strike because it
| uses ipx/spx. all three of the computers can see each
| other in network places and i can access their individual
| drives, but i just cant see any games that are hosted.
| please help.

When LAN games don't connect, there are a few variables to consider, for
example check for a patch at: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

1. Disconnect from the Internet by physically unplugging the cable or DSL
line, and then since there's no longer danger of outside attacks, turn off
your software firewall (Norton's, McAfee, Zone Alarm, Outpost, ICF,
etc.) as these firewalls could be blocking data to and from your system.

2. If you use a router, it could be blocking you as well:
Routers have built-in port blocking firewalls based on NAT technology.
DirectX games require that ports be open in order for the data packets
to be able to travel from one system to another. Here's How to Configure
a router for Multiplayer: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

3. If Step 1 applies to you, but you want an alternative solution, pick up a cross-
over cable from your local supply shop to directly connect one computer to
the other on a 2 player LAN, especially if both computers are close together.

4. If you have multiple network adapters, the game might be using the wrong one
To verify this behaviour, click Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab
/ Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters, right click the adapter
which accesses the Internet, and "Disable" it from the right-click menu. If that
works, open Control Panel / Network Connections, click Advanced / Advance
Settings / click the LAN Connection and then the UP arrow to change it's priority
so it's at the top of the list. Test your Internet games to see if they work this way.

5. DirectX 9.0b may need to be installed on both systems:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/9/c/c9c8a1d4-7690-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90update_redist.exe

6. Universal PnP might need to be disabled in your router, or in Windows XP:
a) To enable or disable UPnP in XP, click Start / Run / type: services.msc
and you can then right-click Universal Plug and Play on the list to Start it.
b) Consult your router manual for the UPnP instructions for your model.

7. Network Adapter drivers may need to be updated on one or all machines.

8. You may need to specify the target IP using a game specific method.
Consult your game manual or readme file in the game directory. For MS
games: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;gmsnetw

9. You might be specifying the Public IP instead of the Private (LAN) IP.
To easily find the Public and Private IP numbers of the computer you
are using, visit: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

For more in depth troubleshooting, try this MS Network Troubleshooting article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02april08.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms