Palm Desktop Wiped Out Categories In Contacts

June 21, 2004 2:50:27 PM

What the heck? I just attempted to sync my T3 and an error appeared
indicating that the database was corrupted. After that I started Palm
Desktop and all my contacts were gone. All the other apps still had data
intact. I checked out my T3 and the contacts where still there. I did
another sync and it dumped all my categories as it brought the data over to
the Desktop. On top of all that the categories are gone on my T3 and
everything is categorized as unfiled.

Does any body know how I can salvage this, without having to reassign
categories?

Here is a snippet of the log
*************************************
HotSync operation started 06/21/04 10:23:59
OK Calendar
-- Contacts
- Handheld category 'Business' has been deleted.
- Handheld category 'Personal' has been deleted.
- Handheld category 'QuickList' has been deleted.
- Handheld category 'Restaurant' has been deleted.
- Handheld category 'PCC' has been deleted.
- Handheld category 'Aero' has been deleted.
- Some handheld records were not copied to the Palm Desktop. Attempting
to restore from the handheld.
Desktop = 0, Handheld = 604
*************************************
TIA
Jim MM
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:28:23 PM

Wow.

I don't *know* for sure, but I think if you have a recent Archive, you
could try that. Open the archive into Desktop, and then before you
hot sync, make whatever adjustments to the conduits seem sensible.
(My usual "belt and suspenders" approach would make me sync one thing
at a time and leave everything else at "Do nothing". But that might
just be me.)

That might restore things, but wouldn't necessarily answer the
question, "What caused this in the first place???" Hot sync
complained that something was corrupted, and it prolly still is. You
might find it if you take the cautious approach to syncing, but I'm
not sure how you would go about fixing it.

I hope that helps at all?

Cate

--
Catester

"It's always something." ~Roseanne Roseannadanna~

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:50:27 -0700, "Jim Mac Millan"
<Pete_McCool@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>What the heck? I just attempted to sync my T3 and an error appeared
>indicating that the database was corrupted. After that I started Palm
>Desktop and all my contacts were gone. All the other apps still had data
>intact. I checked out my T3 and the contacts where still there. I did
>another sync and it dumped all my categories as it brought the data over to
>the Desktop. On top of all that the categories are gone on my T3 and
>everything is categorized as unfiled.
>
>Does any body know how I can salvage this, without having to reassign
>categories?
>
>Here is a snippet of the log
>*************************************
>HotSync operation started 06/21/04 10:23:59
>OK Calendar
>-- Contacts
> - Handheld category 'Business' has been deleted.
> - Handheld category 'Personal' has been deleted.
> - Handheld category 'QuickList' has been deleted.
> - Handheld category 'Restaurant' has been deleted.
> - Handheld category 'PCC' has been deleted.
> - Handheld category 'Aero' has been deleted.
> - Some handheld records were not copied to the Palm Desktop. Attempting
>to restore from the handheld.
> Desktop = 0, Handheld = 604
>*************************************
>TIA
>Jim MM

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 5:23:41 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:50:27 -0700, "Jim Mac Millan"
<Pete_McCool@REMOVEyahoo.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>What the heck? I just attempted to sync my T3 and an error appeared
>indicating that the database was corrupted. After that I started Palm
>Desktop and all my contacts were gone. All the other apps still had data
>intact. I checked out my T3 and the contacts where still there. I did
>another sync and it dumped all my categories as it brought the data over to
>the Desktop. On top of all that the categories are gone on my T3 and
>everything is categorized as unfiled.
>
>Does any body know how I can salvage this, without having to reassign
>categories?

I've had a small number of head shots like this. I sync to multiple
PC's, and my modus operandi is to sync when I approach one PC, and
then sync again when I leave it. On rare occasions, I have made some
very significant changes (ie, large imports and/or massive
cut-and-pastes) to the various PIM functions, and this has caused
similar grief as what you've described. The preventative measure for
this problem seems to be to make sure I set the hotsync conduit when
syncing to the "other" PC's after doing these massive manipulations.

However, in light of the fact that for what ever reasons you're in
"picking up the pieces" mode, I suggest performing multiple selections
from the unfiled category and re-assigning the categories that way; it
makes recovery pretty darned quick.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Physical-Nine Inch Nails-Broken (Bonus 3" Single)
This is track 852 of 1023 in the current playlist.

Quote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:50:27 -0700, "Jim Mac Millan"
<Pete_McCool@REMOVEyahoo.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>What the heck? I just attempted to sync my T3 and an error appeared
>indicating that the database was corrupted. After that I started Palm
>Desktop and all my contacts were gone. All the other apps still had data
>intact. I checked out my T3 and the contacts where still there. I did
>another sync and it dumped all my categories as it brought the data over to
>the Desktop. On top of all that the categories are gone on my T3 and
>everything is categorized as unfiled.
>
>Does any body know how I can salvage this, without having to reassign
>categories?

I've had a small number of head shots like this. I sync to multiple
PC's, and my modus operandi is to sync when I approach one PC, and
then sync again when I leave it. On rare occasions, I have made some
very significant changes (ie, large imports and/or massive
cut-and-pastes) to the various PIM functions, and this has caused
similar grief as what you've described. The preventative measure for
this problem seems to be to make sure I set the hotsync conduit when
syncing to the "other" PC's after doing these massive manipulations.

However, in light of the fact that for what ever reasons you're in
"picking up the pieces" mode, I suggest performing multiple selections
from the unfiled category and re-assigning the categories that way; it
makes recovery pretty darned quick.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Physical-Nine Inch Nails-Broken (Bonus 3" Single)
This is track 852 of 1023 in the current playlist.

I realize you did this over 4 years ago but I just went thru this exercise and perhaps someone else can benefit from what I found.
Palm Desktop does not create new categories if it encounters categoery names it does not already have. If you have creted new categories on one Palm device and export that to a CSV file say, the names are preserved but when the import happen the Desktop app ignores the new names and assigns the 'Unfiled' category to the records it finds categoriy name it it doesn't already have.
What you have yo do is to pre-create the category names in the new user (watch out for names with trailing spaces) and only then perform the import. There is no way to export and import the names so if you have very many names this will take some time.

I hope the import works better for the Pre.

Jan T Carlin
!