What to play after Risk II? Please recommend...

Hi,

I have an oldish laptop (PII) and do not play very much, but recently
got into playing Risk II. But it got a bit boring after a few weeks
(same screen all the time, little variation to the game).

I bought AoE II:Age of Kings second hand and like it but found out I
rather prefer cerebral turn-based games than stressful RTS games.

But I don't know of any other turnbased games I could look
into.Everything seems to be RTS when I browse Amazon's strategy
section etc.

Could someone recommend a few TBS that I could try out, please?
Remember it needs to be a couple of years old to fit my processor and
ridiculously weak graphics card (2,5 MB).

I prefer real world/historical scenarios to fantasy or sci-fi.
I don't mind if it isn't super complicated either since I often just
play an hour here and an hour there. I am not going to play for hours.
(I liked Age of Kings in that respect, just set the level to easy and
it is fun to play from the beginning, and as you pick up the way it
works you can make it more complicated later by increasing the AI-
level.)

Thanks a lot everyone!

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:47:24 +0100, Dutronc <sorry@no.mail> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an oldish laptop (PII) and do not play very much, but recently
>got into playing Risk II. But it got a bit boring after a few weeks
>(same screen all the time, little variation to the game).
>
>I bought AoE II:Age of Kings second hand and like it but found out I
>rather prefer cerebral turn-based games than stressful RTS games.
>
>But I don't know of any other turnbased games I could look
>into.Everything seems to be RTS when I browse Amazon's strategy
>section etc.
>
>Could someone recommend a few TBS that I could try out, please?
>Remember it needs to be a couple of years old to fit my processor and
>ridiculously weak graphics card (2,5 MB).
>
>I prefer real world/historical scenarios to fantasy or sci-fi.
>I don't mind if it isn't super complicated either since I often just
>play an hour here and an hour there. I am not going to play for hours.
>(I liked Age of Kings in that respect, just set the level to easy and
>it is fun to play from the beginning, and as you pick up the way it
>works you can make it more complicated later by increasing the AI-
>level.)
>
>Thanks a lot everyone!

There are plenty of great turn-based games:

Civilization 2 or 3
Imperialism 2
Chariots of War
Spartan
Gates of Troy
Dominions and Dominions 2

and while not historical, Slay is a quick, fun shareware game

Quite fun space turn based games are Stars! and Space Empires 4 which are
about building empires in space and can be great fun. Space Empires is the
better of the two but Stars! is great by email. Both should run on older
computers.

In terms of war based maybe try Panzer General or Allied General both of
which can be downloaded free these days and are great light-strategy WW2
games.

Another fun game is Heroes of Might and Magic which is up to HOMM4 now but
you can probably download earlier versions. They are light fantasy based
strategy and play very much like a board game.

One of the best turn based games you can get is Civilisation and its
sequels. It concerns itself with the buolding up of a civilisation from
stone age times to modern day and is really addictive. The latest Civ3 is
probably less fun and more demanding than the first versions.

You could try Medieval Total War as its very board like in terms of its
campaign strategy and you dont necessarily have to fight the battles in 3D
if you dont want to - but theyre great fun to fight. It has loads of depth
and many consider it better than the present Roman Total War. Theres an even
older Shogun Total War if you feel like Japanese strategy!

Finally you could perhaps try Simcity 2000 which is about developing a city
including transportation, zoning, services etc.

--
Regards
Nats