New System Old Hard Drive

Ncharge

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
What is the easiest way to move a old harddrive running Windows 95 to a new system with a Asus A7V Motherboard and a 900mhz chip? The old system was a pentium 100mhz. Am I going to run into any configuration problems?

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
The abosolute best method is to backup the hard drive somehow and then format and re-install Windows. This will ensure that you don't have driver issues just putting the drive into a new computer.

If you can't do that for some reason then you'll need a bunch of rabbit's feet or other good luck charms and a few prayers and hail mary's and what not. If possible remove all the old hardware drivers that you can before sticking the drive into the new computer and see if it boots without problems. Then go about installing mainboard drivers, video, sound and what not.

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
most likely yes. just moving a hard drive will make the OS toss a hissy fit... all new hardware to deal with/ configure, especially with something as buggy as winDOZE 95.

Its probably best to backup your info and install a fresh copy of windows.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

Ncharge

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks everyone for the help. It is just as I suspected, this is going to be trouble. I hate when you try help someone then they want to be cheap about things.