Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD as system disk in 2012

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Crucial
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 18, 2012 4:26:20 PM

I know that early on there were lots of setup issues with SSDs. Making sure that you had an enough space and TRIM etc.

Do I have to worry about anything special today when installing to a 256GB Crucial disk, or will everything be taken care of automatically by the OS?

More about : ssd system disk 2012

a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 4:44:29 PM

The only thing to do is to set the sata mode as AHCI(not ide or raid). You will then get the proper drivers that can pass on the trim command.

Some will give you a list of "tweaks", but I would not bother with them.

Just install and enjoy.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 4:46:07 PM

There are still issues with the OS beating the SSD to death unless you shut off certain things in Windows. If you know how to shut them off then things go much smoother and the SSD last longer.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 4:52:05 PM

I have yet not heard of ANYBODY running out of update capability using a ssd for normal desktop work.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 4:58:07 PM

I have a normal desktop running 2 SSD's in raid 0. Have you read anything about how those get burned out in months?
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 5:07:54 PM

ahnilated said:
I have a normal desktop running 2 SSD's in raid 0. Have you read anything about how those get burned out in months?


From what I've read, could the problem be the multi-disk RAID?
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 5:09:27 PM

geofelt said:
The only thing to do is to set the sata mode as AHCI(not ide or raid). You will then get the proper drivers that can pass on the trim command.

Some will give you a list of "tweaks", but I would not bother with them.

Just install and enjoy.


I know multi-disk RAID is bad. But is there a problem with choosing RAID with a single disk just to maintain the flexibility to do SRT in the future (with a different smaller SSD)?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 5:38:08 PM

ahnilated said:
I have a normal desktop running 2 SSD's in raid 0. Have you read anything about how those get burned out in months?


No. I would be interested in any links to that effect.

"burned out" refers to the inability to do updates. Nand has a limited number of updates before it can no longer do any more.
At that point, read integrity is not compromised.
The number of reads is unlimited. For a normal desktop user, even with heavy usage, it is estimated that there is at least a 10 year lifetime for a MLC ssd. SLC is longer. Such a drive will be long obsolete before you have a problem.

SSD microcode distributes usage balancing updates among the nand chips to improve longevity.
The "trim" command helps by not requiring a read/update sequence when items are deleted.

If a ssd is part of a raid array, the trim command can not be passed to the ssd and extra read/writes will be required. It still will not be enough to hurt longevity. I have tried ssd's in raid-0, and found that there was no apparent benefit to performance. Only synthetic sequential benchmarks looked good.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 6:11:07 PM

geofelt said:
No. I would be interested in any links to that effect.

"burned out" refers to the inability to do updates. Nand has a limited number of updates before it can no longer do any more.
At that point, read integrity is not compromised.
The number of reads is unlimited. For a normal desktop user, even with heavy usage, it is estimated that there is at least a 10 year lifetime for a MLC ssd. SLC is longer. Such a drive will be long obsolete before you have a problem.

SSD microcode distributes usage balancing updates among the nand chips to improve longevity.
The "trim" command helps by not requiring a read/update sequence when items are deleted.

If a ssd is part of a raid array, the trim command can not be passed to the ssd and extra read/writes will be required. It still will not be enough to hurt longevity. I have tried ssd's in raid-0, and found that there was no apparent benefit to performance. Only synthetic sequential benchmarks looked good.


Here, let me Google that for you:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=ssd+burn...
m
0
l

Best solution

June 18, 2012 6:48:26 PM

So much fail in this thread.

Set your BIOS to AHCI or RAID, and do a clean install of Win7, just let windows do it's thing it will format the drive correctly.
Then enjoy an awesome upgrade on your system performance.
Share
June 18, 2012 7:14:54 PM

This is my cheat sheet:
Enable AHCI mode before installing Win7
Disconnect any other hard drives before installing windows
Once OS is installed, launch power options and disable hibernate, set it never to go into sleep mode and set it to never have the hard drive turn off

That's pretty much it - the Crucial M4s don't have any compatibility issues with Intel's RST driver and I haven't had to update firmware on any of the drives I've deployed and I have used them in laptops for about 2 years now. Great drives - not ultra fast write speeds, but they're dependable and usually pretty cheap. Enjoy!
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 3:42:09 PM

Best answer selected by ratsa.
m
0
l
!