Galactic Civilizations II: Previews

Brad Wardell wrote:
> Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along with
> screenshots of what it looks like.

Hmmmm. I would like to see "warmer" pictures for the various races.
Less sterile, less rendered looking.

Moo 2 does this well. They look hand draw, but they look "real". As
opposed to the sterile, lifeless pictures in Moo 3, Space Empires IV
and GalCiv.

(And on a related note, why not have some of the aliens be female?
Okay, I can't tell for a lot of them, but all the humanoids seem to
very male).

Tactical combat would also be nice. Especially since there is ship
design.

And it would very extremely nice if it didn't involve Stardock
Central. I hate that thing.

IMO, tactical combat would reduce focus on the strategic aspects of the
game. While this is fine for some space-themed 4x games out there i.e.
MOO2 -because of it's relatively strong AI- I think it's important to
keep a bulk of the time spent playing GC/GCII on the main map in order
to emphasize that part of the game.

Brad Wardell wrote:
> Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along with
> screenshots of what it looks like.
>
> IGN:
> http://pc.ign.com/articles/582/582659p1.html
>
> Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/galacticcivilizations2/preview_6117128.htmlHope
you like the changes! ;)Brad--Brad WardellProject Manager: Galactic
Civilizations IIhttp://www.galciv2.com

Looks major cool Brad. I am curious, since you are allowing each
planet to be developed, and regions seen, are you also going to have
planetary battles possible in this version also?

- Richard Hutnik

On 28/01/2005 1:32 PM Brad Wardell said the following:
> Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along with
> screenshots of what it looks like.

It looks damn fine, but I'm wondering about the interface. Will there be
alternative, slimmer interfaces?

On many of those screenshots, the interface (buttons, decorations etc)
seems to impose on the main game screen. This was also the case with The
Political Machine's large, bubbly buttons. Don't get me wrong, it looks
great, but I prefer something tighter and streamlined.

Or maybe I've just been playing Stars! for too long.

KAOS

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:32:20 -0500, "Brad Wardell"
<bwardell@stardock.com.remove> dared speak in front of ME:

>Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along with
>screenshots of what it looks like.
>
>IGN:
>http://pc.ign.com/articles/582/582659p1.html
>
>Gamespot:
> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/galacticcivilizations2/preview_6117128.htmlHope you like the changes! ;)Brad--Brad WardellProject Manager: Galactic Civilizations IIhttp://www.galciv2.com

Trivial nitpick: you forgot a carriage return.

As for the IGN preview...

Campaign? With pass-or-fail missions?
Like we're used to in RTS?

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Brad Wardell wrote:
>> Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along with
>> screenshots of what it looks like.
>>
>> IGN:
>> http://pc.ign.com/articles/582/582659p1.html
>>
>> Gamespot:
>>
> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/galacticcivilizations2/preview_6117128.html

> Hope
> you like the changes! ;)Brad--Brad WardellProject Manager: Galactic
> Civilizations IIhttp://www.galciv2.com
>
> Looks major cool Brad. I am curious, since you are allowing each
> planet to be developed, and regions seen, are you also going to have
> planetary battles possible in this version also?

Not sure yet. We have talked about that and odds are it would not be in the
released game but possibly in a future expansion.

Brad
--
Brad Wardell
Stardock - http://www.stardock.com

Brad Wardell wrote:
> <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Brad Wardell wrote:
> >> Just a head's up that there are two previews of GalCiv 2 along
with
> >> screenshots of what it looks like.
> >>
> >> IGN:
> >> http://pc.ign.com/articles/582/582659p1.html
> >>
> >> Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/galacticcivilizations2/preview_6117128.html

> > Hope
> > you like the changes! ;)Brad--Brad WardellProject Manager: Galactic
> > Civilizations IIhttp://www.galciv2.com
> >
> > Looks major cool Brad. I am curious, since you are allowing each
> > planet to be developed, and regions seen, are you also going to
have
> > planetary battles possible in this version also?
> >

> Not sure yet. We have talked about that and odds are it would not be
in the
> released game but possibly in a future expansion.
>
> Brad
> --
> Brad Wardell
> Stardock - http://www.stardock.com
> Project Manager: Galactic Civilizations II (www.galciv2.com)

Leave it out if you can't get it work. It would be cool if you could
though. It would be a neat mini-game.

- Richard Hutnik

"Brad Wardell" <bwardell@stardock.com.remove> wrote in message

> <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Looks major cool Brad. I am curious, since you are allowing each
>> planet to be developed, and regions seen, are you also going to have
>> planetary battles possible in this version also?
>>

> Not sure yet. We have talked about that and odds are it would not be in
> the released game but possibly in a future expansion.

Will there be any ship design?

If there is ship design, I want an option to automate it! I dislike
doing ship designs!

There Brad, let's make your life a living nightmare! Muhahahaha!
- Richard Hutnik

The ship design from the preview looks too bland and speadsheet-like.
The good things would be to add few "special" devices, not related to
standart branches of offence/defence/energy, like "gravitaion
destabilizer" from MOO2, paralizer, fighter deck , teleport etc.

> If there is ship design, I want an option to automate it! I dislike
> doing ship designs!

That would be ok with me. Give an option. I like building ships.