Help with Radar

Last response: in Home Audio
February 27, 2005 11:12:57 PM

My buddy at studio A recorded a band on Radar 1 (45 minutes of 24
tracks. The band wants to mix in pro tools. The band took the scsi hard
drives of Radar 1 to studio B who has Radar II. I guess they were
thinking the drives would work in Radar II and then they could dump the
files into protools. The hard drives didn't work in Radar II.

So, my buddy called and thought we could light pipe the recording into
my my Alesis HD24 and that we could use Fireport to transfer files and
burn them on a dvd burner.

Would this work? What would I need to do this? I don't understand much
about what kind of files are needed...Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help,

John

More about : radar

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:29:27 AM

jmuirman1@aol.com wrote:
> My buddy at studio A recorded a band on Radar 1 (45 minutes of 24
> tracks. The band wants to mix in pro tools. The band took the scsi hard
> drives of Radar 1 to studio B who has Radar II. I guess they were
> thinking the drives would work in Radar II and then they could dump the
> files into protools. The hard drives didn't work in Radar II.
>
> So, my buddy called and thought we could light pipe the recording into
> my my Alesis HD24 and that we could use Fireport to transfer files and
> burn them on a dvd burner.
>
> Would this work? What would I need to do this? I don't understand much
> about what kind of files are needed...Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John

You should post this question on the Radar Talkback forum.

http://www.izcorp.com/

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net

http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:22:20 PM

In article <1109563977.662551.45230@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> jmuirman1@aol.com writes:

> My buddy at studio A recorded a band on Radar 1 (45 minutes of 24
> tracks. The band wants to mix in pro tools. The band took the scsi hard
> drives of Radar 1 to studio B who has Radar II. I guess they were
> thinking the drives would work in Radar II and then they could dump the
> files into protools. The hard drives didn't work in Radar II.
>
> So, my buddy called and thought we could light pipe the recording into
> my my Alesis HD24 and that we could use Fireport to transfer files and
> burn them on a dvd burner.
>
> Would this work?

I believe so. But you should check with iZ Technology (they know all
the RADAR versions since they designed them) to see if there's a
direct conversion available. Sometimes, though, a straightforward
hardware solution is faster and simpler, particularly since it seems
that you already have all the pieces.

You'll need to synchronize the word clocks of the RADAR and the HD24.
Connect word clock out on one to word clock in on the other, and set
the one that's getting the input to use external word clock. Put the
HD24 into Record and the RADAR into play and let 'er rip. Unless this
is a continuous 45 minute set (or song), I'd suggest that you stop the
recording after each song so that you have a set of 24 files for each
song. You'll have more files to deal with, but it may make the
ProTools importing easier on a song-by-song basis rather than having
to break it up once it's in ProTools. Talk to the ProTools operator.

February 28, 2005 2:04:13 PM

jmuirman1@aol.com wrote:
> My buddy at studio A recorded a band on Radar 1 (45 minutes of 24
> tracks. The band wants to mix in pro tools. The band took the scsi
hard
> drives of Radar 1 to studio B who has Radar II. I guess they were
> thinking the drives would work in Radar II and then they could dump
the
> files into protools. The hard drives didn't work in Radar II.
>
> So, my buddy called and thought we could light pipe the recording
into
> my my Alesis HD24 and that we could use Fireport to transfer files
and
> burn them on a dvd burner.
>
> Would this work? What would I need to do this? I don't understand
much
> about what kind of files are needed...Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John

It seems my first rely didn't show up.

This is very easy to do. You'll need two ADAT bridges or you'll need to
make two passes to get all 24 tracks.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:39:18 PM

jmuirman1@aol.com Wrote:
> My buddy at studio A recorded a band on Radar 1 (45 minutes of 24
> tracks. The band wants to mix in pro tools. The band took the scsi
> hard
> drives of Radar 1 to studio B who has Radar II. I guess they were
> thinking the drives would work in Radar II and then they could dump
> the
> files into protools. The hard drives didn't work in Radar II.
>
> So, my buddy called and thought we could light pipe the recording into
> my my Alesis HD24 and that we could use Fireport to transfer files and
> burn them on a dvd burner.
>
> Would this work? What would I need to do this? I don't understand much
> about what kind of files are needed...Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John

Yep... if you have an adat optical card in your RADAR-I you can send it
on out to anything that accepts an adat optical input... you can also
contact iZ and do some updates to your RADAR-I that can actually make
it totally compatible with the current RADAR-V... which actually prints
your recording in "flattened broadcast wave files" [in other words, if
you did any punches they won't show up as different files that need to
be combined later].

When you have the session in "B-Wave" you can open it up on any DAW at
any time without additional transfer...

--
Fletcher
Anonymous

Thanks for everyone's advice. We Dumped the Radar tracks to the HD24
and used the Fireport to get the tracks into Protools...was easy and
fairly fast.

John
!