usb audio interface for mac

Last response: in Home Audio
February 28, 2005 6:46:18 AM

Hi all,

I have an apple ibook (1.2 MHZ with 768MB ram) and want to record
music in it. Up to now I have been using a multitrack casette
recorder. My budget is pretty limited (about 70 UKpound, ie about
140$). I already have purchased a multitrack program (mackie's
tracktion, which works fine). I also have already a mic preamp and
plenty of effects for the el. guitar, so that the usb interface would
not need a built-in preamp, and I would not use software effects. All
I want is to be able to record two tracks at a time whilst monitoring
(with a headphone) what is being recorded with existing tracks (for
example a click track and or already recorded tracks). I have been
looking at:
- Edirol UA-3FX (50 UKpounds)
- Edirol UA-1X (59 UKpounds)
- M-audio transit USB (54 UKpounds)

Does any of you have any experience with any of these?
In particular, I am concerned with the monitoring issue with the UA-1x
and the M-audio transit. Is it possible to listen to what you play and
to what has already been recorded at the same time or would one need
an extra piece of gear, e.g. a little mixing table (which I do not
have). Latency should not be an issue: I have already been mucking
around with the on board mic of the ibook and tracktion handles
latency pretty well by -I think- delaying the pre-recorded tracks
during recording.

I am not interested in Midi at the moment, but could be in the future,
so would my current choise affect that in any way?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot

M.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:38:29 PM

martino wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have an apple ibook (1.2 MHZ with 768MB ram) and want to record
> music in it. Up to now I have been using a multitrack casette
> recorder. My budget is pretty limited (about 70 UKpound, ie about
> 140$). I already have purchased a multitrack program (mackie's
> tracktion, which works fine). I also have already a mic preamp and
> plenty of effects for the el. guitar, so that the usb interface would
> not need a built-in preamp, and I would not use software effects. All
> I want is to be able to record two tracks at a time whilst monitoring
> (with a headphone) what is being recorded with existing tracks (for
> example a click track and or already recorded tracks). I have been
> looking at:
> - Edirol UA-3FX (50 UKpounds)
> - Edirol UA-1X (59 UKpounds)
> - M-audio transit USB (54 UKpounds)

I don't know those, but I do know that the Edirol UA25 works very well
for what it is, though it costs slightly more. I thinmk they have their
drivers in good order.

> Does any of you have any experience with any of these?
> In particular, I am concerned with the monitoring issue with the UA-1x
> and the M-audio transit. Is it possible to listen to what you play and
> to what has already been recorded at the same time or would one need
> an extra piece of gear, e.g. a little mixing table (which I do not
> have). Latency should not be an issue: I have already been mucking
> around with the on board mic of the ibook and tracktion handles
> latency pretty well by -I think- delaying the pre-recorded tracks
> during recording.

> I am not interested in Midi at the moment, but could be in the future,
> so would my current choise affect that in any way?

The UA25 includes a MIDI interface. Buying one liek that might be
cheaper than deciding later you had to buy another interface to do MIDI.

--
ha
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, The Ua-25 looks very appealing indeed. Just one
last question: I have had a read through the user's manual and the
left input (L/1) seems to be fixed to low impedance. Is it still
possible to record line level signals through that input by setting
the sensitivity on the Ua-25 to very low on that input and/or by
inputing quiet signals?
Thing is,1) I have got this very nice mic compressor that I still
might want to use possibly with an el. guitar signal on the R/2 input
2) More simply put, how does one go about recording a stereo
line-level signal through the UA-25.

Hope this makes some sense...

Thanks

M.

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1gsonq5.7cmswl6xrnvbN%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> martino wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I have an apple ibook (1.2 MHZ with 768MB ram) and want to record
> > music in it. Up to now I have been using a multitrack casette
> > recorder. My budget is pretty limited (about 70 UKpound, ie about
> > 140$). I already have purchased a multitrack program (mackie's
> > tracktion, which works fine). I also have already a mic preamp and
> > plenty of effects for the el. guitar, so that the usb interface would
> > not need a built-in preamp, and I would not use software effects. All
> > I want is to be able to record two tracks at a time whilst monitoring
> > (with a headphone) what is being recorded with existing tracks (for
> > example a click track and or already recorded tracks). I have been
> > looking at:
> > - Edirol UA-3FX (50 UKpounds)
> > - Edirol UA-1X (59 UKpounds)
> > - M-audio transit USB (54 UKpounds)
>
> I don't know those, but I do know that the Edirol UA25 works very well
> for what it is, though it costs slightly more. I thinmk they have their
> drivers in good order.
>
> > Does any of you have any experience with any of these?
> > In particular, I am concerned with the monitoring issue with the UA-1x
> > and the M-audio transit. Is it possible to listen to what you play and
> > to what has already been recorded at the same time or would one need
> > an extra piece of gear, e.g. a little mixing table (which I do not
> > have). Latency should not be an issue: I have already been mucking
> > around with the on board mic of the ibook and tracktion handles
> > latency pretty well by -I think- delaying the pre-recorded tracks
> > during recording.
>
> > I am not interested in Midi at the moment, but could be in the future,
> > so would my current choise affect that in any way?
>
> The UA25 includes a MIDI interface. Buying one liek that might be
> cheaper than deciding later you had to buy another interface to do MIDI.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 7:43:23 PM

martino> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, The Ua-25 looks very appealing indeed. Just one
> last question: I have had a read through the user's manual and the
> left input (L/1) seems to be fixed to low impedance. Is it still
> possible to record line level signals through that input by setting
> the sensitivity on the Ua-25 to very low on that input and/or by
> inputing quiet signals?
> Thing is,1) I have got this very nice mic compressor that I still
> might want to use possibly with an el. guitar signal on the R/2 input
> 2) More simply put, how does one go about recording a stereo
> line-level signal through the UA-25.
>
> Hope this makes some sense...

Both inputs are combo jacks offering line in, or mic in with/without
phantom power. You'd be good to go using an external preamp + compressor
setup.

--
ha
!