Is Firefight Close Combat with random maps?

Last response: in Video Games
February 3, 2005 10:35:51 AM

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html

Has anyone played this game? I am curious how it compares to Close
Combat. It looks like Close Combat, but promises random maps.

- Richard Hutnik
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:18:25 PM

I am here at work, checking around, and wanted to see if anyone else
had tried it before I posted it. I figured also, if the game was good,
this would be a good place to bring attention to it.

- Richard
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:06:32 PM

Andy, thanks for the update. I will have to consider downloading the
demo and trying it out.

Sheesh, I haven't even gotten to Children of the Nile yet, and I bought
it.

- Richard Hutnik

Andy Brown wrote:
> I posted this about it on c.s.i.p.g.war-historical a few months ago.
>
> In some ways, it's CC-lite, but in others, it's what CC should have
been.

> The user interface is much simpler than CC but, IMO, just as
effective.

> It's a battle generator. The free demo contains only one game (Brits
> attacking Germans, 1944) which is good enough to show how the system
works
> but which sells itself short in terms of what the system does.
>
> The retail version of the game ($20 US, or you can buy all 8 of the
Sean
> O'Connor games for $40 US), has the following:
>
> You can be Italian, French, British, German, Soviet or US.
> You can attack or defend.
> You can choose your force from a variety of available tanks, squads
and
> heavy weapons.
> You can choose one of five levels of difficulty (affects the size of
the
> enemy force).
> Every game generates a new map using a random seed, so a particular
battle
> can be replayed any number of times. However, there is currently no
scenario
> editor.
>
> You can play the campaign, where you choose a nationality and
progress
> through WW2 fighting a series of historically appropriate battles for
that
> nationality (you don't know the difficulty setting for each campaign
game).

> There are five basic terrain types around which each map is based:
villages,
> desert, forest, lowlands and hills.
>
> The game contains a lot of historical anomalies. Sean O'Connor
designs
> quickplay games (think Freecell, Solitaire and Minesweeper) rather
than
> wargames in particular, and it shows. If you can live with some
interesting
> design decisions, however, the game is very good at recreating
company level
> engagements in real time.
>
> Although the game runs in real time, it is definitely not a
clickfest. The
> interface is so intuitive and easy to use, I'm surprised no one has
used it
> before now. As someone who thinks Panther's RDOA/HTTR is too busy to
handle,
> I nevertheless find Firefight very easy to keep up with. The plan is
> everything and click/twitch skills are not required to play the game
> successfully.
>
> The AI is adequate and is based around the fact that troops won't
move if
> they think they might die. They take cover and return fire if they
are able,
> and cower helplessly if they are not. Success in the game is built
around
> suppressing the enemy long enough to get some of your force up close
and
> dirty. The lack of movement can be quite frustrating at times but I
have yet
> to see any of my units killed by the suicidal prompting of some
obscure AI
> routine while my attention was on some other part of the battlefield.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no network capability. The game is solitaire
only,
> although some inter-human competition can be achieved by seeing who
can do
> best at any given battle.
>
> I'd summarise it as a Close Combat clone with a lot of Steel Panthers
> features and would recommend it to anyone looking for something else
that
> recreates company-level.tactics during WW2.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Andy
Related resources
February 4, 2005 11:20:40 AM

richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
> http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html
>
> Has anyone played this game? I am curious how it compares to Close
> Combat. It looks like Close Combat, but promises random maps.
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Why don't you download it and try it? Click on the picture.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:23:24 PM

[...]

February 4, 2005 6:40:00 PM

Can you upgrade during the campaign? Gain exp.?

TIA

Andy Brown wrote:

> You can play the campaign, where you choose a nationality and progress
> through WW2 fighting a series of historically appropriate battles for that
> nationality (you don't know the difficulty setting for each campaign game).

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:53:29 PM

> Can you upgrade during the campaign? Gain exp.?

Troop quality is not modelled eg Italians of all types and the French in
1940 seem to fight just as well as anyone else. The campaigns are of the
"linear series of battles" type rather than the "core force" type so there
is no upgrading. Better equipments do become available according to year as
the campaign progresses, however (later model tanks, infantry with
bazookas/panzerfausten etc).

Andy
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:53:26 PM

It is an excellent game with a good ai and a lot of fun.
!