Is Firefight Close Combat with random maps?

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html

Has anyone played this game? I am curious how it compares to Close
Combat. It looks like Close Combat, but promises random maps.

- Richard Hutnik
7 answers Last reply
More about firefight close combat random maps
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    I am here at work, checking around, and wanted to see if anyone else
    had tried it before I posted it. I figured also, if the game was good,
    this would be a good place to bring attention to it.

    - Richard
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Andy, thanks for the update. I will have to consider downloading the
    demo and trying it out.

    Sheesh, I haven't even gotten to Children of the Nile yet, and I bought
    it.

    - Richard Hutnik

    Andy Brown wrote:
    > I posted this about it on c.s.i.p.g.war-historical a few months ago.
    >
    > In some ways, it's CC-lite, but in others, it's what CC should have
    been.

    > The user interface is much simpler than CC but, IMO, just as
    effective.

    > It's a battle generator. The free demo contains only one game (Brits
    > attacking Germans, 1944) which is good enough to show how the system
    works
    > but which sells itself short in terms of what the system does.
    >
    > The retail version of the game ($20 US, or you can buy all 8 of the
    Sean
    > O'Connor games for $40 US), has the following:
    >
    > You can be Italian, French, British, German, Soviet or US.
    > You can attack or defend.
    > You can choose your force from a variety of available tanks, squads
    and
    > heavy weapons.
    > You can choose one of five levels of difficulty (affects the size of
    the
    > enemy force).
    > Every game generates a new map using a random seed, so a particular
    battle
    > can be replayed any number of times. However, there is currently no
    scenario
    > editor.
    >
    > You can play the campaign, where you choose a nationality and
    progress
    > through WW2 fighting a series of historically appropriate battles for
    that
    > nationality (you don't know the difficulty setting for each campaign
    game).

    > There are five basic terrain types around which each map is based:
    villages,
    > desert, forest, lowlands and hills.
    >
    > The game contains a lot of historical anomalies. Sean O'Connor
    designs
    > quickplay games (think Freecell, Solitaire and Minesweeper) rather
    than
    > wargames in particular, and it shows. If you can live with some
    interesting
    > design decisions, however, the game is very good at recreating
    company level
    > engagements in real time.
    >
    > Although the game runs in real time, it is definitely not a
    clickfest. The
    > interface is so intuitive and easy to use, I'm surprised no one has
    used it
    > before now. As someone who thinks Panther's RDOA/HTTR is too busy to
    handle,
    > I nevertheless find Firefight very easy to keep up with. The plan is
    > everything and click/twitch skills are not required to play the game
    > successfully.
    >
    > The AI is adequate and is based around the fact that troops won't
    move if
    > they think they might die. They take cover and return fire if they
    are able,
    > and cower helplessly if they are not. Success in the game is built
    around
    > suppressing the enemy long enough to get some of your force up close
    and
    > dirty. The lack of movement can be quite frustrating at times but I
    have yet
    > to see any of my units killed by the suicidal prompting of some
    obscure AI
    > routine while my attention was on some other part of the battlefield.
    >
    > Unfortunately, there is no network capability. The game is solitaire
    only,
    > although some inter-human competition can be achieved by seeing who
    can do
    > best at any given battle.
    >
    > I'd summarise it as a Close Combat clone with a lot of Steel Panthers
    > features and would recommend it to anyone looking for something else
    that
    > recreates company-level.tactics during WW2.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Andy
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    > http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html
    >
    > Has anyone played this game? I am curious how it compares to Close
    > Combat. It looks like Close Combat, but promises random maps.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    Why don't you download it and try it? Click on the picture.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

[...]

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Can you upgrade during the campaign? Gain exp.?

    TIA

    Andy Brown wrote:

    > You can play the campaign, where you choose a nationality and progress
    > through WW2 fighting a series of historically appropriate battles for that
    > nationality (you don't know the difficulty setting for each campaign game).

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Can you upgrade during the campaign? Gain exp.?

    Troop quality is not modelled eg Italians of all types and the French in
    1940 seem to fight just as well as anyone else. The campaigns are of the
    "linear series of battles" type rather than the "core force" type so there
    is no upgrading. Better equipments do become available according to year as
    the campaign progresses, however (later model tanks, infantry with
    bazookas/panzerfausten etc).

    Andy
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    It is an excellent game with a good ai and a lot of fun.

PC gaming Game Games IBM Video Games