Pirates crashing - any clues anyone?

Random happenings - but usually when sailin. Also, and this may or may not
be related, the 'docked options' screen shimmers noticeably (you know, the
options you get when you're in port somewhere). I very much doubt it's
related to my system (as it far exceeds the specifications and all drivers
are up to date). The XP error log doesn't give any clues.

System
----------
Asus SK8V
FX-55
3 S-ATA drives (2x75GB Raptors in a RAID0 array and a 300GB Caviar - plenty
of free space).
2GB OCZ PC3200
9800XT
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
Tagan 500W PSU
Samsung combi
Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
Windows XP Pro SP2 (using an admin account)

Like I said, there are no clues, it usually happens whilst sailing (or
dancing), though it has happened a couple of times whilst in a tavern or
talking to a governor. All drivers are up-to-date. There's no time factor
either - I could have been playing for five minutes - or five hours.

Anyone any ideas? Is Pirates one of these games that doesn't care for 64-bit
CPUs?

--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Random happenings - but usually when sailin. Also, and this may or
> may not be related, the 'docked options' screen shimmers noticeably
> (you know, the options you get when you're in port somewhere). I very
> much doubt it's related to my system (as it far exceeds the
> specifications and all drivers are up to date). The XP error log
> doesn't give any clues.
> System
> ----------
> Asus SK8V
> FX-55
> 3 S-ATA drives (2x75GB Raptors in a RAID0 array and a 300GB Caviar -
> plenty of free space).
> 2GB OCZ PC3200
> 9800XT
> Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
> Tagan 500W PSU
> Samsung combi
> Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
> Windows XP Pro SP2 (using an admin account)
>
> Like I said, there are no clues, it usually happens whilst sailing (or
> dancing), though it has happened a couple of times whilst in a tavern
> or talking to a governor. All drivers are up-to-date. There's no time
> factor either - I could have been playing for five minutes - or five
> hours.
> Anyone any ideas? Is Pirates one of these games that doesn't care for
> 64-bit CPUs?

I should add that I /was/ playing with a no CD patch, but I've cleanly
reinstalled the game and am playing with the CD again, and that hasn't
helped.
on salads.

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
>>Random happenings - but usually when sailin. Also, and this may or
>>may not be related, the 'docked options' screen shimmers noticeably
>>(you know, the options you get when you're in port somewhere). I very
>>much doubt it's related to my system (as it far exceeds the
>>specifications and all drivers are up to date). The XP error log
>>doesn't give any clues.
>>System
>>----------
>>Asus SK8V
>>FX-55
>>3 S-ATA drives (2x75GB Raptors in a RAID0 array and a 300GB Caviar -
>>plenty of free space).
>>2GB OCZ PC3200
>>9800XT
>>Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
>>Tagan 500W PSU
>>Samsung combi
>>Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
>>Windows XP Pro SP2 (using an admin account)
>>
>>Like I said, there are no clues, it usually happens whilst sailing (or
>>dancing), though it has happened a couple of times whilst in a tavern
>>or talking to a governor. All drivers are up-to-date. There's no time
>>factor either - I could have been playing for five minutes - or five
>>hours.
>>Anyone any ideas? Is Pirates one of these games that doesn't care for
>>64-bit CPUs?
>

> I should add that I /was/ playing with a no CD patch, but I've cleanly
> reinstalled the game and am playing with the CD again, and that hasn't
> helped.

Try turning off shadows - that's what fixed the problem for me...

--
Werewolf

Peace is Good.
Freedom is BETTER!

Werewolf wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>>
>>> Random happenings - but usually when sailin. Also, and this may or
>>> may not be related, the 'docked options' screen shimmers noticeably
>>> (you know, the options you get when you're in port somewhere). I
>>> very much doubt it's related to my system (as it far exceeds the
>>> specifications and all drivers are up to date). The XP error log
>>> doesn't give any clues.
>>> System
>>> ----------
>>> Asus SK8V
>>> FX-55
>>> 3 S-ATA drives (2x75GB Raptors in a RAID0 array and a 300GB Caviar -
>>> plenty of free space).
>>> 2GB OCZ PC3200
>>> 9800XT
>>> Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
>>> Tagan 500W PSU
>>> Samsung combi
>>> Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
>>> Windows XP Pro SP2 (using an admin account)
>>>
>>> Like I said, there are no clues, it usually happens whilst sailing
>>> (or dancing), though it has happened a couple of times whilst in a
>>> tavern or talking to a governor. All drivers are up-to-date.
>>> There's no time factor either - I could have been playing for five
>>> minutes - or five hours.
>>> Anyone any ideas? Is Pirates one of these games that doesn't care
>>> for 64-bit CPUs?
>>

>> I should add that I /was/ playing with a no CD patch, but I've
>> cleanly reinstalled the game and am playing with the CD again, and
>> that hasn't helped.
>
> Try turning off shadows - that's what fixed the problem for me...

And visiting Creative's autoupdate site and downloading an EAX update
released only yesterday fixed it for me!
on salads.

lugnut

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

AMD 1.33 Athlon, 1gb RAM, FIC mb, ATI Radeon 8500, SB Gamer.
Nothing fixed the crashes for me. ATI, SB, MB, and BIOS updates all tried
but no luck. I did notice one error message said "memory dump error" a few
times so I even did a RAM exam thinking I had a bad memory module. Nada.
Still had crashes.
I played through the game to "retirement" as Bishop once but the crashes
preclude me from replay. Maybe I'll try again when I get a different
machine.